Insulation package - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2018, 10:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Insulation package

Hey all,
Just swapped out the BR window on my 2017 19 the other day and went fairly well due to instructions found here on the forum. No hiccups.

I did take notice of the insulation found between the exterior shell and the bathroom shell. Can anyone tell me if this is what's used as the optional insulation package with thermal windows or is there something more substantial throughout the rest of the trailer. I've added some reflectix under the rock guard and looks similar to this. I'm going to attempt to add a few pics.
Thanks for any input.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3844.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	31643

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3847.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	31644
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #2

I'd be so tempted to put some spray foam in there...yup...
Old 05-22-2018, 05:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
I'd be so tempted to put some spray foam in there...yup...
Ah, there is term "unintended consequences" and I'd be very careful about putting foam in this area. As it expands it exerts force on whatever's containing it. Not a lot, but some. There's a possibility that it would produce enough force to distort both the external trailer side and the bathroom wall.

Yes, that's good old reflectix. Gen 1 trailers have that as their insulation. I thought that Gen 2 used a foam rubber type. Maybe reflectix is used in this area because there's not vinyl surface area, it's in an enclosed space.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Maybe reflectix is used in this area because there's not vinyl surface area, it's in an enclosed space.

Ron
Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the response. Mine is the Gen 2.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #5

Window/Door foam would do the trick. I use a Hilti unit with lots of positive experience applying it. It would work great.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It does the trick for doors and windows but in this application there's a lot of relatively flat and flexible f.g. That's a lot of surface area. It wouldn't take much pressure to bow it out or spread it making the window fit difficult.

I'd still have reservations about foam in that area unless there was exterior and interior support preventing outward movement of the panels.

On the other hand, you have the equipment, why don't you pull your window and try it out so we'll all know what the answer is.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
I did take notice of the insulation found between the exterior shell and the bathroom shell. Can anyone tell me if this is what's used as the optional insulation package with thermal windows or is there something more substantial throughout the rest of the trailer. I've added some reflectix under the rock guard and looks similar to this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes, that's good old reflectix. Gen 1 trailers have that as their insulation. I thought that Gen 2 used a foam rubber type. Maybe reflectix is used in this area because there's not vinyl surface area, it's in an enclosed space.
If you study build pics closely you will see that the new trailers still use Reflectix behind the bath and fridge. Otherwise it is the newer pink foam. Seen here on a 19. On the 21 even with the bath shell in place you can typically spy Reflectix on the front wall through the opening where the medicine cabinet goes.
Attached Images

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
If you study build pics closely you will see that the new trailers still use Reflectix behind the bath and fridge. Otherwise it is the newer pink foam. Seen here on a 19. On the 21 even with the bath shell in place you can typically spy Reflectix on the front wall through the opening where the medicine cabinet goes.
Yup, I see it. Makes perfect sense. My build pic looks exactly like yours.
Thank you.