Interior Door Pannel - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2022, 01:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Interior Door Pannel

Went out to the trailer today to put some Loctite on the mounting screws for the keyless RV lock. You can't tighten them down much or it binds the lock. When I finished and stood back to look, I saw a bunch of lines. On closer inspection the inner door panel has many cracks. Some go all the way across, some more are just starting. What a drag. Anyone else have this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
20220805_105807.jpg   20220805_105820.jpg   20220805_105828.jpg  
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
That's weird, I wonder what would cause it to break like that. I had to go and have a look at our door and it's fine. I hadn't really paid much attention to it before but I think it's this stuff https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glasline...9600/100389836 I have used it for a backsplash in a kitchen area before. It doesn't score and break on nice clean lines (like your door panel did) because of the bumpy surface, and it isn't fiberglass but it does have fibers. It makes me wonder if the material wasn't somehow defective but the manufacturer used it anyway.

I noticed that the door isn't riveted together but has screws at the bottom, It would be quite a project but you or someone could possibly take the door apart and replace the inner panel, with the stuff linked above.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I had a Forest River with a door that did that, but never chased it down because it was destroyed in a storm shortly thereafter.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:14 AM   #4

Trailer: WTB: E19
Read the loctite label

I learned the hard way when I went from a Harley to a Goldwing in 1996. I loctited lights and accessories. The regular red& blue loctite reacts and will cause fractures.
Escape_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape 15a View Post
I learned the hard way when I went from a Harley to a Goldwing in 1996. I loctited lights and accessories. The regular red& blue loctite reacts and will cause fractures.
I have a Goldwing and I use lot's of red loctite for other things. Never read the label. I'll be sure not to use it near plastic parts.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0224_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:58 PM   #6

ABS & polycarbonate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape 15a View Post
Blue loctite is a Anaerobic adhesives. “Anaerobic adhesives are generally not used with most plastics. Anaerobic adhesives will stress crack some plastics, including many thermoplastics like ABS and polycarbonate. If the product is used for metal-to-metal but in close proximity to plastic, there is the possibility of excess liquid product or vapor affecting the plastic. In the case of compatible plastics like acetals, the anaerobic adhesives are simply not the best family of products for effectively locking and/or sealing. Often Loctite® Cyanoacrylates (Instant Adhesives) are substituted if they meet the other application parameters.”
Old 08-17-2022, 09:33 AM   #7

Note the older style Aircraft doors have a fiberglass inside panel not the ABS that is shown in the original post.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:14 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Update, The cracks were there before any work was done. I just happened to notice them when updating the RV lock with Loctite. The Loctite never contacted this panel, it is only on screws and threaded holes. Design of lock and mount is a cutout in the door and the lock slides in from both sides. Any Loctite is several inches from panel. I think it is a defect in the panel material. Anyone else out there have cracks?

As a side note, in the 1980's I had a pair of ski boots I " cleaned " with spray silicone. Actually, when I sprayed them, I watched them craze and fall apart in front of me as I watched. That was an expensive lesson.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 01:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmitch View Post
Any Loctite is several inches from panel. I think it is a defect in the panel material. Anyone else out there have cracks?
I don't think that it was Loctite either. I was also wondering if anyone else had cracks since no one has responded since your original post.

What's your thinking on a possible repair?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Only in my previous trailer, not in my Escape. No idea what caused it. I never fixed it.