Inverter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2020, 07:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 17
Inverter

In the morning we sometimes plug the small electric coffee pot into the inverter. The last time we were out the inverter started to squeal when there was a draw on it and stopped when the draw stopped. A error sign came up that said, ‘Input Fault.” Any hints thanks.
Groma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groma View Post
In the morning we sometimes plug the small electric coffee pot into the inverter. The last time we were out the inverter started to squeal when there was a draw on it and stopped when the draw stopped. A error sign came up that said, ‘Input Fault.” Any hints thanks.
First thing that comes to mind is low voltage. Does your inverter have an error message specific to a low voltage condition? If not, and "Input Fault" is the all purpose message, then I would check the voltage with a multimeter right at the inverter terminals if possible, while under an actual load. Anything below about 11.9 V is suspect.

But there are also a number of possibilities, all of which are harder to diagnose and less common. Start with the easiest and most likely first.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:28 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you know the answers... Wattage of the coffee pot, wattage and make of the inverter, do you have 2 batteries, voltage of the batteries before you start the coffee pot?
Old 06-24-2020, 06:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
My inverter makes a spooling noise when coming under load. Sorta like the turbo on my truck. I guessed that was just the way it works. Sounds a bit like a fan.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
My inverter makes a spooling noise when coming under load. Sorta like the turbo on my truck. I guessed that was just the way it works. Sounds a bit like a fan.
I think that is the fan. I have noticed a couple of times when we forgot to turn it off, it generates a little heat just from being on in ready mode and the fan will kick on and run at low speed for a bit.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:04 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I think that is the fan. I have noticed a couple of times when we forgot to turn it off, it generates a little heat just from being on in ready mode and the fan will kick on and run at low speed for a bit.
Well no wonder it sounds a bit like a fan. It is a fan! Didn't give it a second thought as it was doing what I wanted it to do, as in toast and coffee.

It was sorta an iffy selection on my build sheet but I'm happy to have it now.

Most COE parks have 'no electric' spaces for less $ so I use those when available
Old 06-24-2020, 07:21 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Okay so I am a little new to this. I just finished my third trip. But I am starting to form opinions.

I have not had an electrical hookup since leaving Idaho on my way back from the border.

The only thing I seem to be missing is the possibility of running the air conditioner. Everything else I have. I have all the 110v I need and try as I might, running 12v stuff is just not enough of a drain to matter. Without running any numbers I noticed I am always fully charged by 9 am (two panels).

So why go for electrical hookup at all? Most of the time it is not an option anyway. I would trade it all for water and sewer hookups and/or Internet (I know they all go together) . I like taking medium length showers. I am also a news junkie.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:45 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We get electric when we need the A/C, or electric heat. Many times if I want a special site, like waterfront, there is no choice. We go mostly for a site we like, over if it has or doesn't have hookups.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:21 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The inverter kicks out if the voltage drops to a certain level. I forget what this is, but it is a safe amount left to operate other DC. I only had it happen to me once, trying to use it a fair bit after a really dark, rainy day and cooler night before.

Coffee is one thing that does not use it though. There are lots of ways of making coffee better than electric pots.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Inverter squeal

Groma,

We had the squeal a couple of years ago at the Osoyoos rally, and Reece diagnosed it as being low voltage or amperage due to a deteriorated connection where the cable to the inverter enters the clamp on top of the battery. He (and another time Iowa Dave) and I tightened that connection and the noise stopped for a while, but it did come back.

I later bought new cables with "factory" ends at the battery clamps, as opposed to the non-factory ends that had come from ETI. I got mine at Harbor Freight. At the time, ETI cut their own cables and put on their own clamps. I also bought heavier gauge cables (We have two batteries), and have had no squeals since then.

Check the battery itself for water content. The squeal would also come from a weak battery.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical problem, inverter