Inverter, battery, or charger problem? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Bob- your batteries are old relatively. To me it's like tires: do you want to run them to the advertised life or?
Ross what would you consider time to change the 6 volts ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
FWIW, we use our gas oven to toast.... but then we're more often toasting rolls or baguettes than we are toasting sliced bread.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
All am saying is if you are getting warning signs that the batteries are not performing well and if they are 5 years old then why wait until you are on the road to have to replace them.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Some of your question can be answered by your earlier observations:
"Start toaster, 86A, 11.33v at batteries, 11.09 at the inverter".
Since the voltage drop (11.33-11.09=0.24) is not too bad for 86 amps, then the guilty party is the batteries.

It is a subjective answer. How long have you lived with the low battery warning beep? Can you live with it for another camping season? Can you skip the morning toast when boondocking?

86 amps drain is on the high side for a 5 year old battery. Yes, you could - perhaps - get another season, or even two out of it ("them" for 2-6v). But if camping for you means being 600 miles from a Walmart then you might want to replace earlier rather than later. Don't feel bad - 5 years is respectable. Many (myself included) have killed big batteries sooner than that.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:22 AM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Now that Bob's situation is basically sorted out... back to the original issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-tx View Post
The readout on the inverter control shows that all the voltage in the batteries is getting to the inverter at the start.
Yes, it will (even with tiny wires and poor connections)... but have you checked what happens under heavy load? Is the drop in voltage all at the battery, or is there a significant loss of voltage between the battery and the inverter?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Some of your question can be answered by your earlier observations:
"Start toaster, 86A, 11.33v at batteries, 11.09 at the inverter".
Since the voltage drop (11.33-11.09=0.24) is not too bad for 86 amps, then the guilty party is the batteries.

It is a subjective answer. How long have you lived with the low battery warning beep? Can you live with it for another camping season? Can you skip the morning toast when boondocking?

86 amps drain is on the high side for a 5 year old battery. Yes, you could - perhaps - get another season, or even two out of it ("them" for 2-6v). But if camping for you means being 600 miles from a Walmart then you might want to replace earlier rather than later. Don't feel bad - 5 years is respectable. Many (myself included) have killed big batteries sooner than that.

--
Alan
Hi Alan not sure if you were answering me , but we don't have a installed inverter , if boondocking use minimal power . We have a portable I think 400 but only used it once years ago . The most recent boondocking was at Quartsite and just used the installed 3 60 watt panels I had installed on roof . Had the generator and also another folding solar 80 watt , but never needed them . The heater was running a lot and took showers every night . So the batteries are going now 6 plus years . Everyday at Quartsite the batteries were up to 100%
By 12-1 even with cloud cover . With early sun they were up by 11-12 . Have battery monitor and the charger is a Victron MPPT . Maybe more life in them ? Pat
Old 03-16-2019, 01:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
All am saying is if you are getting warning signs that the batteries are not performing well and if they are 5 years old then why wait until you are on the road to have to replace them.
Hi Ross I responded to Alan in 26 . Pat
Old 03-16-2019, 02:02 AM   #28

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
For high current draws, AGM batteries would be a better choice. They have a much lower internal resistance compared to flooded. Most people using AGMs are doing it for this reason, although there are other benefits as well.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:46 AM   #29

Quote:
Hi Alan not sure if you were answering me ...
Clearly I did not scroll back enough, and managed to answer the wrong post.

But, and there is always a but: One fairly common sign of a weakening battery is a overly quick recharge. When combined with a disappointingly fast drop - say down to 12.0 volts overnight with light to moderate use (no inverters pulling 80 amps), odds are good that a new battery is in your future. While a fast "down and up" is one symptom of battery age, it is not the only one, so don't ignore other symptoms.

--
Alan
Old 03-16-2019, 04:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Clearly I did not scroll back enough, and managed to answer the wrong post.

But, and there is always a but: One fairly common sign of a weakening battery is a overly quick recharge. When combined with a disappointingly fast drop - say down to 12.0 volts overnight with light to moderate use (no inverters pulling 80 amps), odds are good that a new battery is in your future. While a fast "down and up" is one symptom of battery age, it is not the only one, so don't ignore other symptoms.

--
Alan
No problem Alan . I think after heater and showers we were down to 12.3 or 12.4 then the solar recharged as I said . What is your option of Costco 6 volt ? They are a little bit less in amps then the true interstates ( the green ones ) however have been buying Costco batteries for vehicles for years with no problem , the last a replacement for our Forester . Pat
Old 03-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #31

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Now that Bob's situation is basically sorted out... back to the original issue:

Yes, it will (even with tiny wires and poor connections)... but have you checked what happens under heavy load? Is the drop in voltage all at the battery, or is there a significant loss of voltage between the battery and the inverter?
It appears that voltage drops very rapidly at the battery and at the inverter. When the trailer was new, running the microwave off of the inverter for 3+ minutes was no big deal with battery voltage going to about 11.8-12.0. Now the same load drops battery voltage to the point the inverter shuts down within 15-20 seconds.

I am going to check the gauge of the battery to inverter wiring tomorrow and do my own load test. [I bought a load tester.]
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
if the voltage is dropping at the battery under heavy load, the wiring isn't your problem, your batteries are getting old.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:51 PM   #33

Quote:
...however have been buying Costco batteries for vehicles for years with no problem ...
You are the Costco battery expert, I could only speculate at best. Go with what you are comfortable with.

Many (7) battery years ago I took a chance with a Sears branded Odossey AGM battery for my trolling motor. It worked well so I bought 2 for the Escape. Unfortunately Sears stopped reselling them and I know of no other discounter for that brand.

--
Alan
Old 03-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #34

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
It appears that voltage drops very rapidly at the battery and at the inverter. When the trailer was new, running the microwave off of the inverter for 3+ minutes was no big deal with battery voltage going to about 11.8-12.0. Now the same load drops battery voltage to the point the inverter shuts down within 15-20 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
if the voltage is dropping at the battery under heavy load, the wiring isn't your problem, your batteries are getting old.
Yes, if it is dropping a lot at the battery, and the voltage at the inverter isn't much lower than at the battery, it's a battery issue rather than a wiring issue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:40 AM   #35

Quote:
You are the Costco battery expert, I could only speculate at best. Go with what you are comfortable with.

Many (7) battery years ago I took a chance with a Sears branded Odossey AGM battery for my trolling motor. It worked well so I bought 2 for the Escape. Unfortunately Sears stopped reselling them and I know of no other discounter for that brand.

--
Alan
Thanks Alan . I just will keep my eye on them and go with either at the time . Pat
Old 03-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Batteries are about 18 months old, and have been kept plugged into shore power.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:05 PM   #37

I load tested each 6v battery individually and together as a 12V system and load test show batteries are good. The load tester is a Schumacher Model BT-100. I am not sure what gauge the inverter to battery cables are but they are are only about 18" long.

It would seem that I am no closer to a solution.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #38

I checked the specifications on that load tester and it applies a 50 amp load to a 6V battery and a 100 amp load to a 12v battery.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:40 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:

I am going to check the gauge of the battery to inverter wiring tomorrow and do my own load test. [I bought a load tester.]
Just curious - when you tested the voltage at the battery, did you connect the voltmeter to the battery terminals or the lugs attached to the battery terminals?

THe reason I ask is that I had battery cables from the factory that showed voltage loss when I tested at the battery lugs. After cutting off the Escape crimped lugs and crimping new Ancor lugs on with a hydraulic crimper - my voltage loss problem went away.

Look at the pic below. Half the triangle shaped crimped lugs were garbage and had to be replaced. I might have been able to fix them by cleaning up the contact surfaces but the other problem was they were showing an even higher voltage loss on the other end due the poorly crimped connection to the battery cables.

a few bucks saved buying cheap lugs doesn't pay off in the long run.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery Filler 3.jpg  
Old 03-18-2019, 05:46 PM   #40

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Sure sounds similar to the problem I experience except your batteries are only 18 months old compared to my 5 years.

From one of the Battery University pages referenced earlier in the thread.

"Sulfation and grid corrosion are the main contributors to the rise of the internal resistance with lead acid. Temperature also affects the resistance;"

I read on one of the pages where sulfation can occur if you do NOT do deep enough discharge cycles, that would be my case.

Do you have any way to run an equalization cycle on your batteries? might help. I'm going to try it before I get new batteries. Hopefully won't see the voltage drop as much.

No edit: TDF brings up another item for me to check. Didn't look for loss between the battery and the lugs.