is a 2nd maxxfan a good idea? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2020, 09:24 AM   #21

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We carry a smallish Endless Breeze 12vdc box fan, primarily for use keeping the bugs off us when sitting outside. In a pinch I could put it at the door and use it as an inside fan, but like Jim, I've never had need of more then the one Maxxfan.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:57 AM   #22

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We're visiting my son In Marshall, Minnesota. It was 93 yesterday with high humidity and will be 95 today. We wish we hadn't ordered the AC but had the thermostat wired so AC can be added later if needed. Wish we would have installed a MAXX Fan and eliminated the stovetop hood and AC.

After two winters in Texas and Arizona we'd yet to even come close to needing AC. Some NEED AC and some don't. We don't. In a few decades of camping, with 15/16 (?) campers, we've used AC just a couple of times. TETO!

If you're like us, and don't need AC, don't order it. Get the camper YOU want, not the one others think you need.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
While there is no harm in a second MaxxFan if you don't get A/C, I don't really see any benefit to having one. The one installed can move a heck of a lot of air, and we have rarely turned it up very high except in the hottest of evenings. Once the sun sets we turn it down, and for sleeping we have the windows at our head cracked open a bit, and one down below, usually the galley window.

I have never once wished I had a second MaxxFan, though much of my camping is done up here, and a few longer trips down south have been in January to March, so not as hot as you might otherwise see there, but this is where A/C would be real nice.
Ditto Jim's comments. As Donna pointed out several years ago, the trailer is wired for A/C so it's not as if you're burning any major bridges. And, if, after several years, you, or a second owner decide that the time for an A/C has arrived then the unit will be new, not several years old.

My secondary method of cooling is a small computer type fan by a window directed at the bed. It's very good at bringing in a cooling breeze and there's no A/C in our future. I should mention that the majority of our trailer use is CA, AZ and Baja.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
normally, I never use the AC on our E21, but street camping in Hollister these past few days, its been 95 and humid out each day, the AC keeping hte interior to 76F or so has been a life saver for this coastal central californian.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Looked into pre-wiring the digital thermostat and was told by ETI it couldn't be done. Something about them being a set with the AC.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:29 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
All Escapes come prepared for a/c and easily added later. Several members have gotten the dual maxxfan set up also.

This is exactly what we did. Used dual Maxxfans and loved them - until we started camping in Texas in the summer - just a bit hotter than Colorado.

Since the trailer was "A/C ready", it was easy for the dealer to swap out the fan for an air conditioner - that we try to use as little as possible. Having 2 fans also convinced us not to order the stove hood/vent. And we enjoy the extra space and visibility over the stove area. But there is no "right or wrong" answer here. You have the flexibility to do what pleases you.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:40 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Looked into pre-wiring the digital thermostat and was told by ETI it couldn't be done. Something about them being a set with the AC.
Components of the digital thermostat are contained in the AC unit itself.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #28

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
It's been very useful reading this discussion while trying to decide on this marginal question of AC vs. second Maxx fan. We are still ambivalent but will likely keep the AC, just in case.
  • First, we were under the false assumption that it was a choice between AC and the Maxx fan. We now understand that it is a choice between (a) AC, (b) second Maxx fan, and (c) neither.
  • Given this better understanding, we will likely keep the AC. The second Maxx fan seems like a marginal choice. So, it is more AC now vs possibly add later. Given that one might need it at some point, we will likely keep it in the build. We just aren't the DIY qualified and prefer leaving less for later.

Thanks!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:28 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Given that the A/C requires shore power or a generator and that the Maxxfan is so much quieter, I'd get both, if I were in the market.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #30

Good point! We will confirm with ETI that Maxx fan is on the trailer, even if we opt for the AC.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I never really thought about it, but I think a 2nd MaxxFan is a medium compromise to NOT getting an air conditioner. There are a number of owners that have posted here, they've supplemented air movement by installing 12v fans. Perhaps with a 2nd MaxxFan, no other fans would be needed...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I never really thought about it, but I think a 2nd MaxxFan is a medium compromise to NOT getting an air conditioner. There are a number of owners that have posted here, they've supplemented air movement by installing 12v fans. Perhaps with a 2nd MaxxFan, no other fans would be needed...
At least for us, or supplemental fan is so we can blow air directly on us. This is even with the Maxxfan directly over the bed in our Sprinter. It is more efficient to pull the warm air that has risen to the top of the van out than it is to have that fan blow that air down on us.

While one Maxxfan blowing in and one Maxxfan blowing out will certainly create a breeze between them, the bed isn't between the two Maxfans regardless of the model Escape.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Good point! We will confirm with ETI that Maxx fan is on the trailer, even if we opt for the AC.

Thanks!
One Maxxfan is standard regardless if you get an AC or not. The second vent opening can either have an opening cover, an optional second Maxxfan, or an optional Air Conditioner.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:48 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Another factor to consider is, if you are sitting outside, under the awning, a portable fan is much more useful than a second Maxxfan. An exterior 12V outlet is handy too, although, I use a 12V extension cord.
Attached Thumbnails
12V extension cord.jpg  
Old 08-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
If I fire up my one Maxxfan on medium high exhaust, and crack one ofhte rear windows, the air flows through the whole trailer. on a warm night, I'll have the fan on low, blowing in, cuz I hate running hte AC any moer than we have to in the peak heat of the day.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
One Maxxfan is standard regardless if you get an AC or not. The second vent opening can either have an opening cover, an optional second Maxxfan, or an optional Air Conditioner.
Thank you very much! I had mis-remembered what Samuel from Escape had told us. I remembered it later on when reading this thread. But, thank you very much for confirming it. I can cross the second Maxx fan from the list and stick to Coleman AC.

Thanks again!
Old 08-31-2020, 09:23 PM   #37

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
We almost didn’t purchase A/C but decided to get it last minute at the purchase process. We do some camping in the Okanogan and glad we went with it.. we don’t use it often, but when we did, it was like winds directed from the heavens. Last year, we hit Oosoyoos and ended up using it frequently.. most of our long weekends are at provincial parks so sits there idle.
I think resale is probably the biggest reason we went with it. If you are competing with other trailers that already have it, it may be looked at as a job that a potential purchasers doesn’t want to have to deal with.
(All errors courtesy of big thumbs and small iPhone)
I'd agree with these sentiments--we went with the AC because we're going to be camping in Eastern Washington, Oregon, and the Okanagan, as well as an occasional trip to the desert Southwest. Most of the time, the Maxx fan will be perfect (and it is a miraculous little machone). I think for that one day out of 10 where we need it, we'll be really glad to have the AC.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:36 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofdestiny View Post
I'd agree with these sentiments--we went with the AC because we're going to be camping in Eastern Washington, Oregon, and the Okanagan, as well as an occasional trip to the desert Southwest. Most of the time, the Maxx fan will be perfect (and it is a miraculous little machone). I think for that one day out of 10 where we need it, we'll be really glad to have the AC.
We hit Harrison Hot Springs to do a shake down of our new 21 before coming back to the island. It was a brutal heat reaching 41 degrees. We used it on the daily. I think you’re correct, most of the year, it goes unused, but I don’t think the maxxfan could have cooled it enough for us.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:20 PM   #39

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Another factor to consider is, if you are sitting outside, under the awning, a portable fan is much more useful than a second Maxxfan. An exterior 12V outlet is handy too, although, I use a 12V extension cord.
Agree that portable fans for spot cooling are really great. We have a couple of USB fans in the trailer. They can be plugged into the 12v (or USB if you have them) outlets or one of those portable power banks and be placed anywhere in the trailer or outside. This is the one we have: https://www.amazon.com/Keynice-Perso...a-6185fb77bc58
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:45 PM   #40

Trailer: 2021
Hi Allan, how does the tacoma work for you ?

Kind Regards
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote