Is Dometic's warranty worth the paper it is written on? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2021, 11:16 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
This last year good luck on finding some of these better products, you can’t and waits are very long on some of the fridges, AC, stoves, etc. Now try and order 500 of them. Escape has had to delay pickups due to supply chain problems with the marginal appliances, and the better appliances won’t be able to meet needs with trailer production at historic levels.
This is better dealt with a one off by the customer after market like folks are doing with the Houghton AC. Even one of the Houghton models is difficult to find.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:35 AM   #42

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
There are quality appliances available for RVs. They just won't have names on them like Suburban or Dometic. Sure, they cost alot more, but it would seem to me that in a higher end trailer, folks would be willing to pay the difference.

Escape has already separated itself from the pack with things like customization options, the quality of the shell, the method for attaching internal components, and fit and finish. They could separate themselves from said pack even further IMHO by offering better components and appliances.

Establishing a stable and reliable supply chain from smaller manufacturers - the non-Dometics of the world - isn't easy. I get that. But using appliances with function and reliability issues presents even bigger problems.
I see both truth and contradiction here. Yes, there are higher quality appliances available for RVs, and a few would be willing to pay higher prices. But why is Walmart a corporate giant? It is because so many people would rather pay $2 for a cheaply made item that may last two years rather than $6 for a similar item that will last for twenty years or even a lifetime.

And yes, Escape separated itself from the pack from the start. But with the departure of Reace and Tammy, I believe that this initial separation is gradually shrinking. Reace’s passion for making a quality product and their combined emphasis on customer support made an Escape purchaser feel like a member of a family, not just someone in the “Escape clique.” I see the current ownership/management of Escape adding options but for entire different reasons that Reace would customize individual trailers and would interact with owners and address problems for almost every waking moment at the Osoyoos rallies. And his trip around the US to personally fix a problem in some (I believe it was) Escape 21s was unprecedented in the rally. And while I know Tammy wanted to spend more time with her horses, and they were financially rewarded by the sale of ETI, I have never shaken the feeling that they were both burned out partially due to excessive work efforts BUT ALSO constant petty customer complaints that their Dometic refrigerator did not perform as well as their refrigerator did not work as well as their home refrigerator or that ETI used poorly designed pedestals on the dinette or blah, blah, blah.

Most everything is a compromise. That includes the components that go into any manufactured product. I expect functional problems in my trailer, JUST LIKE I expect them in my self propelled vehicles and my home appliances. I am at an age where I do not know how much longer I will want or be able to tow and set up an RV. I doubt I will replace my 5.0 TA at this point if it were to be irreparably damaged. If I did, however, I have my doubts that ETI now cares for its customers as much as it did under its founders. I perceive ETI has, like many companies, evolved into an organization entirely driven by profit. If they thought they could make more profit by offering better appliances, they would, but internal alterations to install them would slow down production, and consequently sales.

Sorry if you disagree or my post upsets you, but it is my take on the current business model of ETI.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:47 AM   #43

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I see both truth and contradiction here. Yes, there are higher quality appliances available for RVs, and a few would be willing to pay higher prices. But why is Walmart a corporate giant? It is because so many people would rather pay $2 for a cheaply made item that may last two years rather than $6 for a similar item that will last for twenty years or even a lifetime.

And yes, Escape separated itself from the pack from the start. But with the departure of Reace and Tammy, I believe that this initial separation is gradually shrinking. Reace’s passion for making a quality product and their combined emphasis on customer support made an Escape purchaser feel like a member of a family, not just someone in the “Escape clique.” I see the current ownership/management of Escape adding options but for entire different reasons that Reace would customize individual trailers and would interact with owners and address problems for almost every waking moment at the Osoyoos rallies. And his trip around the US to personally fix a problem in some (I believe it was) Escape 21s was unprecedented in the rally. And while I know Tammy wanted to spend more time with her horses, and they were financially rewarded by the sale of ETI, I have never shaken the feeling that they were both burned out partially due to excessive work efforts BUT ALSO constant petty customer complaints that their Dometic refrigerator did not perform as well as their refrigerator did not work as well as their home refrigerator or that ETI used poorly designed pedestals on the dinette or blah, blah, blah.

Most everything is a compromise. That includes the components that go into any manufactured product. I expect functional problems in my trailer, JUST LIKE I expect them in my self propelled vehicles and my home appliances. I am at an age where I do not know how much longer I will want or be able to tow and set up an RV. I doubt I will replace my 5.0 TA at this point if it were to be irreparably damaged. If I did, however, I have my doubts that ETI now cares for its customers as much as it did under its founders. I perceive ETI has, like many companies, evolved into an organization entirely driven by profit. If they thought they could make more profit by offering better appliances, they would, but internal alterations to install them would slow down production, and consequently sales.

Sorry if you disagree or my post upsets you, but it is my take on the current business model of ETI.

Unfortunately I have to agree with the above. WE love our 21. Reace and Tammy made parting with hard saved money a very pleasant experience. They approved all the special items we wanted and when we had our awning malfunction bringing it home. They contacted carefree ASAP n got a new one sent to us at no cost. I dont see the new management going the extra mile to help their customers. It kinda like wham , bam , thank you for your money and yer on yer own. That said would I buy another Escape .... yes .

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #44

Trailer: 2020 21C
Dometic stove recall

I have a 2020 21c and have been trying to get Dometic to cooperate as has my repairman. Can’t he just replace what needs replacing without going through Dometic? I know I’ll be responsible for the costs of repair and parts. What exactly is wrong with the oven?? I’ve never gotten to use it. Thanks for any help!!
Kindercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:18 AM   #45

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindercop View Post
I have a 2020 21c and have been trying to get Dometic to cooperate as has my repairman. Can’t he just replace what needs replacing without going through Dometic? I know I’ll be responsible for the costs of repair and parts. What exactly is wrong with the oven?? I’ve never gotten to use it. Thanks for any help!!
This thread might be helpful
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...eak-19810.html
Old 04-14-2021, 03:51 PM   #46

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
dometic replaced the fridge in my 21. It failed on the way home after pickup in Sumas. Took about 6 weeks of my local RV dealer ( my cousin ) dealing with them but they finally did it.

They tried other things, boards.. etc but finally just sent a new fridge. All is well since.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:25 PM   #47

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindercop View Post
Here is the detail and remedy for the gas leak.
If Dometic will provide you the parts required.

https://static.oemdtc.com/Recall/20E...0E071-1203.pdf
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:47 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
When I had an Aliner and the latch on the refrigerator door fell apart, Dometic wanted me to go to a Dometic repair shop to ensure it would be “repaired properly.” It was held on by two screws. After a long argument in which I told the customer “disservice” rep that I had many years experience using screwdrivers, she finally (reluctantly) agreed to send me the replacement latch, bypassing the trained and certified Dometic repair technician. Not being happy about waiting a week to fix the refrigerator, I frustratingly worked on trying to reassemble the latch which involved a pin, a spring, and a retainer. After about 20 minutes I got it back together and it never malfunctioned again. Dometic seems to think all its customers are incompetent cretins when, IMO, it’s Dometic that has an over abundance of moronic policies. I mean, let’s pay a technician to complete a warranty claim when in many cases, the end user is adequately capable of making simple repairs. Makes one wonder how they can stay in business.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:53 AM   #49

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Randy, I would have said it depends on the quality of the paper and where it was sourced. If we were comparing Dometic’s warranty to used toilet paper, I would say they are approximately equal in value.
Single ply, but still good for septic.

Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:01 AM   #50

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: UncleTim...What a situation!!! With Dometic buying up the competition it's really hard to avoid dealing with them... and they know it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Yep. This is the fruit of monopoly. Consistent throughout the ages.

Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote