Is there an additional tariff cost over the the $160 fee.. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2020, 04:30 PM   #21

Trailer: Looking to get
Hello Neighbor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
Hey,

I’m in Oregon too and just today researched how to register the new trailer. They charge 0.5% as a vehicle tax, that you have to pay before registering at the DMV, so in our case it was around $130 one-time fee. Then for the 17’ it’s going to be about another $130-ish to register it for 2 years, and $12 for the single license plate for the back of the trailer.

We got temporary tags for our first trip, and the website says that they are giving a generous “grace period” thru October for expired tags, trip permits, etc. since the DMV are not at full operating capacity. To get the trip permit it was only around $30, good for only 10 days but plus this grace extension or until you get your plates.
Yes, We were surprised to find out about the new vehicle and bike taxes! Still a lot less expensive than other parts of the country/world!
Doug Fir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:10 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Fir View Post
Yes, We were surprised to find out about the new vehicle and bike taxes! Still a lot less expensive than other parts of the country/world!
NY DMV is allowing skipping inspections:

"The required annual New York State inspection is due by 07/31/2020 for the vehicle listed below. However, during the COVID-19 Emergency, vehicle safety and emission inspections set to expire on March 31, 2020 or later have been extended until further notice.

While your inspection expiration has been extended during the emergency, motor vehicle inspection stations have been deemed essential services and remain open for business. You may still have your vehicle inspection performed during the present emergency. Learn more about inspection requirements."
Old 07-07-2020, 05:17 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Fir View Post
The new vehicle tax and the bicycle excise tax both started Jan. 1, 2018
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:44 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
NY DMV is allowing skipping inspections:

"The required annual New York State inspection is due by 07/31/2020 for the vehicle listed below. However, during the COVID-19 Emergency, vehicle safety and emission inspections set to expire on March 31, 2020 or later have been extended until further notice.

While your inspection expiration has been extended during the emergency, motor vehicle inspection stations have been deemed essential services and remain open for business. You may still have your vehicle inspection performed during the present emergency. Learn more about inspection requirements."
Our Escape yearly inspection expires this month, I'm not renewing until I take it out to go camping, whenever that is.......
Old 07-07-2020, 05:47 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The new vehicle tax and the bicycle excise tax both started Jan. 1, 2018

I thought Oregon was full of environmentalists. How do they square a tax on bikes with encouraging people to leave cars at home?
Old 07-07-2020, 05:53 PM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (June 2020..hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I agree. It is a very nice place to live and I do get paid for living here. And most of the free world seems to want to buy my house (or one in my neighborhood). So life is good.

I had researched the fees prior to purchasing so I expected that lump.

All in all, very thankful we can do this. So many people want to but can't. We're so lucky. I did not expect the $.17 charge for the actual sticker on the plate.
Haha $0.17 for the sticker!! I just looked at my receipt from yesterday. I paid $2 for plate reflectivity, $0.25 for 'license plate technology,' $6 for abandoned RV disposal, $3 RV Sanitary Disposal along with registration fees and 8.7% purchase price for 'use' tax (sales tax). Guess they have RV owners pitch-in to clean up junked RVs.
Allswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:24 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I thought Oregon was full of environmentalists. How do they square a tax on bikes with encouraging people to leave cars at home?
Oregon is very bicycle friendly. Revenue from the bicycle excise tax goes into the Connect Oregon Fund to provide grants for bicycle and pedestrian transportation projects. It doesn't going into the General or Transportation funds.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Oregon is very bicycle friendly. Revenue from the bicycle excise tax goes into the Connect Oregon Fund to provide grants for bicycle and pedestrian transportation projects. It doesn't going into the General or Transportation funds.
I think that's great for cycling all around. It doesn't bother me to add my $9 to help deal with junked RVs. I feel bad for those other RV owners....if it's abandoned, I'm guessing it wasn't an Escape. : )

It reminds me of the requirements in the EU. For some chemicals and products, consumers pay upfront for disposal to prevent things ending up in a landfill that shouldn't be there. Makes sense to me.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:59 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Don't have to go to Europe for that. In B.C. we are assessed an Enviro Fee to take care of the cost of recycling tires, oil, electronics, etc.
For a time, there was no sales tax on bicycles to encourage people to buy and use them.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Don't have to go to Europe for that. In B.C. we are assessed an Enviro Fee to take care of the cost of recycling tires, oil, electronics, etc.
For a time, there was no sales tax on bicycles to encourage people to buy and use them.
That's awesome!
Old 07-08-2020, 06:21 AM   #31

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
The last time I looked, there are only two Platinum rated cities for bicycles.

1. The first was Boulder CO., my home town.
2. The second one is Portland, OR.

I use an electric skateboard and a long distance scooter for travel and it is delightful. I am constantly finding new bicycle trails in adjoining neighborhoods. Oregon is very bicycle friendly. So are we! Gotta get in a plug for one of the greatest towns in the world, Boulder.

The list of Platinum cities has been expanded to five now. All great places.
  • Boulder, Colorado.
  • Davis, California.
  • Fort Collins, Colorado.
  • Madison, Wisconsin.
  • Portland, Oregon.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:56 AM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
And I thought Washington State was bad. Wowser!