Is this wheel spinning noise normal - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2019, 09:45 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
For those who do wear out tires before their chosen arbitrary maximum age, not including the spare in the rotation means throwing out a completely unused tire each time (because, of course, you must be replacing the spare so it won't explode because it's too old).
Last weekend a person headed down the vastly improved Mex. 5 towing a large utility trailer. Just blew down Mex. 5 and joined up with Mex. 1. He thought that what used to be the worst part of the trip down that way was over. That was before he watched in his mirror as a slight vibration turned into chunks of tire flying off. No problem, on went the spare. 10 miles later it blew out and by the time he got stopped the rim was toast. A great situation, in the middle of nowhere in Baja and no spare for the spare. Fortunately he had friends who could come to his aid.

I've always take this tire age thing with a bit of a grain of salt. But this kind of situation could make a believer out of me.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:37 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Last weekend a person headed down the vastly improved Mex. 5 towing a large utility trailer. Just blew down Mex. 5 and joined up with Mex. 1. He thought that what used to be the worst part of the trip down that way was over. That was before he watched in his mirror as a slight vibration turned into chunks of tire flying off. No problem, on went the spare. 10 miles later it blew out and by the time he got stopped the rim was toast. A great situation, in the middle of nowhere in Baja and no spare for the spare. Fortunately he had friends who could come to his aid.

I've always take this tire age thing with a bit of a grain of salt. But this kind of situation could make a believer out of me.

Ron
I have no idea if that trailer's spare was an unused but old tire failing due to age, or a random old rubber doughnut with years of use and abuse, then thrown on the spare rack. If it did die simply of age, then that's a reason to replace the spare by the calendar... and to get some use out of it first by rotating it into service.

So, everyone has replaced the spares in their cars and trucks every "X" years (whatever maximum age they apply to their trailer tires), right?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:50 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
In that case the person said that the trailer tires all looked to be in good condition, lots of tread, no checking etc. but they were all over 10 years old. Also, they were from California and might have been in the sun all their life.

I have a set of 4 studded snow tires that fit my niece's car. They have very few miles on them and are 20 years old. They've been stored in a cool dark place and almost look new. Hard to imagine that they'd fail if used.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:06 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
They've been stored in a cool dark place and almost look new. Hard to imagine that they'd fail if used.

Ron

Much like spices.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:34 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Much like spices.
Hi: gbaglo... Never had it happen with beer!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:38 AM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Would be worth making sure the pin didn't get pulled on the brake away switch.
If the breakaway pin was pulled (and everything is working as intended) you would not be able to spin the drum by hand.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:52 AM   #27

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Can I say that it's not abnormal?

I've been doing wheel bearings all my life since I started doing them in a garage when I was a teenager. If that was my wheel I wouldn't do anything. But that's just my experience.

Sure, repack the bearings if you want to, won't hurt but don't be too surprised that when you put it back together you don't still hear the same sound. The only way to get rid of any sound is to back the shoe off too much.

Ron
Jake: I completely agree with Ron. The sound isn’t completely abnormal. If the brakes are adjusted properly with a slight drag then you should be fine. That said you are getting close to the recommended mileage from Escape for a bearing repack (20,000km / 12,500 +/-miles). So maybe you pull them and check out the brakes while you are in there.

Great videos out there to help you.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:56 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
No the trailer is not connected to the TV. The funny thing is after my post I went on youtube to check on EZ lube vids and in the couple of vids I watched when they spinned their wheels they also had the slight scraping noise. Why? Car and truck wheels don't make that noise whey they free spin.
Hi: viator36... Mine have and do!!! Due to the damp and not being used frequently my tug and to a lesser extent my wifes cars brakes get a coating of rust on them. This gets polished off eventually but the trailer brakes have magnets that may not get polished totally. I'm in the normal camp. My RVTech charges me $39. per axle to repack the bearings, clean and adjust the brakes, and inspect the tires. I rely on his opinion of the trailer running gear. A lots riding on it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote