It is raining, so time to take a bath.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is raining, so time to take a bath....

I realize that Texas has gotten too much but today was a overcast drizzle type rain, I decided to wash the Escape. This was it's first bath and long overdue. I wanted to mainly focus on the roof and solar so the ladder and the long handled wash brush was used, I found a flat broom with a towel works under the solar panels. Did the roof and sides with some car wash, hosed off and it shines. Will wait and see once it dries all the areas I missed. My prayers go out for those with too much rain....
Old 08-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
So am I washing mine too often? I wash it after each trip, and also right before putting it away for the year. Looking for any excuse to not wash it so often
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
So am I washing mine too often? I wash it after each trip, and also right before putting it away for the year. Looking for any excuse to not wash it so often
I at least wash the bugs off the front after each trip. Often that turns into a full bath. As long as the trailer gets a coat of wax each year, (or two if stored outdoors) you should be fine.

One trick I have started doing is putting a strip of 4" wide Frog Tape on my forward awning arm. It catches the bugs and then comes right off. Makes cleaning a lot easer.
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_39af.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:22 PM   #4

That is a great idea about the tape on awning arm, will have to remember that.

I just had my trailer waxed, and the detailer mentioned that while overall the fiberglass is in great shape, there were a couple of dry spots on the front that he really worked on.

I wonder if perhaps my bug cleaner is too harsh for that area? Or if I just need to apply a quick coat of wax to that area after cleaning.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:22 PM   #5

I do not wash after each trip, only when it needs it, similarly to your car, when it gets dirty. I do wax in the fall before the snow starts as it sits outside.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:

I just had my trailer waxed, and the detailer mentioned that while overall the fiberglass is in great shape, there were a couple of dry spots on the front that he really worked on.

I wonder if perhaps my bug cleaner is too harsh for that area? Or if I just need to apply a quick coat of wax to that area after cleaning.
I always thought bug cleaner removed the wax....
Old 08-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:

When there is a good coat of wax, I don't need a bug cleaner. I just use my pressure washer to blast most of them off then wash with a mild carwash. Also bounce dryer sheets work well for the stubborn guts without being abrasive. I agree with Jim that I don't wash the trailer unless it is dirty. I've been on 6 camping trips this year and have washed the trailer 3 times.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I heard about Bug Melt from someone at the ETI rally in 2015. It works exactly as described. I bought a gallon. It does not remove wax, does not leave residue or water spots behind. I love it for my truck as it has a big chrome grill, chrome bumpers and chrome running boards. Works great removing bug guts on the windshield too. I originally bought it for the trailer. When this gallon runs out, I'll buy another gallon! BUG MELT - PPC
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I've found that good ole Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover works very well and does not seem to strip off the wax.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #10

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I've found that good ole Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover works very well and does not seem to strip off the wax.
Twice a year we get lovebugs and you need to remove them ASAP or they etch paint. We have some old towels and a flannel sheet that I can soak and lay over the bug splats for awhile. They come off easily after that.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:59 PM   #11

The Turtle Wax product is what I currently use, maybe I'll give the Bug Melt a try next. Thanks Donna.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I do not wash after each trip, only when it needs it, similarly to your car, when it gets dirty. I do wax in the fall before the snow starts as it sits outside.
Crap, I'm supposed to wash my car too??
Old 08-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I wash and wax my trailer monthly in the spring / summer and before fall storage . Just finished another coat of wax this morning.
My trailer sits outside in the blistering Wisconsin sun all Summer. Trailer is covered in the fall and winter.
It's a lot easier to maintain the shine / gelcoat then to try and bring it back after the gelcoat is oxidized. IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Me and our trailer cant stand going to bed without a shower.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Me and our trailer cant stand going to bed without a shower.
I actually don't mind washing the trailer. The car is another matter...as I'm sure you've noticed
Old 08-29-2017, 01:35 PM   #16

I use the Mr. Clean magic eraser on bugs and stains, makes them disappear. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mr-Clean-...eraser&veh=sem
Old 08-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Washing

My ideal camping excursion finds us returning home with lots of bugs on the car and camper. It clouds up about 60 miles from home and rains like crazy blasting most of the bugs off and much of the dirt. Then a strong wing ensues and the bugs aren't flying so very few get smacked before I get home. Once home if it's not too late we unload the camper and wash it the next morning. Then it goes into the building where we deploy the awning to make sure it dries. This happens a few times a year and I like it. We washed and waxed the new to us 21 this week. Hit rain on the way home last Monday but still got lots of bugs but they come off nice with the Rejex wax we use. I grew up washing and waxing cars, never minded it then or now. I am a pride of ownership kind of person.
Trivia. What is the last thing to go through a bugs mind as he hits the windshield? His butt
Dave
Old 08-29-2017, 02:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
When there is a good coat of wax, I don't need a bug cleaner.
That's been my experience too. Just a lite scrubbing with a brush or cloth and they come right off.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:43 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Dave we had nearly the opposite of your ideal return last year. We managed to arrive about 25 miles from home right as some soybean fields were being cut and drove thru clouds of Asian Lady Beetles that, of course, got smashed all over the trailer and Highlander. Then, later, as we pulled up to the top of the driveway another cloud arrived with us.

Asian Lady Beetles love light colored things, and white is every so attractive to them. Those of you who get to experience the joys of these imported delightful insects, know that they love to crawl into any available opening, so they were headed into every one of those on the trailer. We managed to get most of the brushed off and the trailer tucked into the shed in record time. It was not the return home to a nice relaxing homebrew on the deck that we had envisioned by a long shot!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I use the Mr. Clean magic eraser on bugs and stains, makes them disappear. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mr-Clean-...eraser&veh=sem
I used the Mr Clean magic eraser for the first time recently on some stubborn stains on my awning. I was very impressed with it.