Keeping the fridge door closed during travel - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #21

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnuss View Post
There are only 4 small holes that could easily be filled if needed. Not sure of the specific marine term but here is another perspective to show it a little better.

Looks like a very small cabinet door handle might work too....will have to troll Home Depot and see what they have....not many marine stores here in the middle of New Mexico...
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #22

Something like this would work..it's designed for webbing....
Footman's Loop

Edit update: They are indeed called Footman's Loops and are specifically for tying down with webbing straps!
Found them at Strapworks.com and was able to order them in sandstone so they will blend into the woodgrain. Cost about $1.30 each (includes a .50 upcharge for color) and $3 shipping. Might do a similar arrangement for the bathroom door.
Thanks!
Sold both 7/22
Old 04-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #23

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
gbaglo, the holes go away when the cheese is gone!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #24

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnuss View Post
I found this strap set up in the boating section of the local sporting goods store. Works great!
I believe I found the exact thing on amazon: Amazon.com: Attwood Gas Tank Hold Down Strap: Sports & Outdoors

We haven't had trouble with our fridge door despite many a washboard road, but I tend towards better safe than sorry and am definitely considering it, even with the hefty shipping charge.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary View Post
I believe I found the exact thing on amazon: Amazon.com: Attwood Gas Tank Hold Down Strap: Sports & Outdoors

We haven't had trouble with our fridge door despite many a washboard road, but I tend towards better safe than sorry and am definitely considering it, even with the hefty shipping charge.

That would do it! I opted to buy the hold-downs (Footman Loops) and the straps from strapworks.com and got the loops colored to match the woodgrain. Plus enough extras to do the bathroom door. Will post pictures after it is all done.
Sold both 7/22
Old 04-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd take care that the metal buckle doesn't abrade the fridge finish. The bungees that I have have plastic hooks and don't seem to be a problem. I'm sure you can get plastic buckles.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd take care that the metal buckle doesn't abrade the fridge finish. The bungees that I have have plastic hooks and don't seem to be a problem. I'm sure you can get plastic buckles.
The webbing that I ordered has plastic side release buckles. BUT, if the Amazon/Atwood belt is used the buckle can be positioned in the middle of the fridge and there will also be one thickness of the strap between it and the fridge so I think it will be ok. The original picture posted shows it that way.
Sold both 7/22
Old 04-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The webbing is doubled up when you use that kit, and the buckle is on the outer layer of webbing, so would not be in contact with the door.

It looks like a nice simple solution, and not too pricey at all.

We never strap our door shut, and only once on bad washboard did we have it come open. We did have the catch fail a couple times, until I did a permanent (to date) fix on it. The pivot pin on it kept sliding out, and not latching.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Hi FMLNM,
What size of screws do you use? Do you have to buy them seperately or they come with the Footman's loop? Thanks.
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Hi FMLNM,
What size of screws do you use? Do you have to buy them seperately or they come with the Footman's loop? Thanks.
The ones I ordered from Strapworks.com do not come with screws so I'll just have to see once they are delivered. The specs say the hole is .21" for the 1" loops. Might get a little bottle of model paint to paint the screw heads to match the color I ordered for the loops.
Sold both 7/22
Old 04-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Has anybody with the larger 6.7 cu-ft fridge with the latch in the upper corner of the door ever had it come open on its own while driving? We have this fridge and have experienced no door opening issues to date (although we did have an incident involving a tragic loss of beer - http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...gedy-2789.html). Our fridge does not appear likely to pop open on its own, but if others have experienced this, I may consider some kind of preventative fix.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #32

I don't think other models / sizes have the double lock feature of the 6.7.
First I've seen anyway.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
FMLNM,
Thanks
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #34

The solution we chose

We started this thread last month after our fridge door came off the hinges on a very rough washboard road. We polled the forum for ideas to prevent it in the future. We had already tried a variation of the bungee solution posted by gbaglo and it had failed on this really bad road. We have decided to use the strap solution previously used by Steve & Cynthia (sjnuss). we didn't get the exact setup they had..mostly because I had already ordered a variation before the Amazon link was posted.
We ordered 1" footman loops in a medium brown color and coordinating color straps from strapworks.com. I ordered the straps with side release plastic buckles which was a mistake because I will have to pull out the strap from the buckle on one end to thread it through the footman loops...but we're using it anyway and it is not a huge inconvenience. We also decided, for peace of mind, to use the same sort of tie down for the bathroom door. But in order to get a secure place for the footman loops we went top to bottom. Will try it out next week on way to Moab Rally! Thanks for all the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge strap.jpg   Fridge strap anchor detail.jpg   Bath Door strap.jpg   Bath Door strap top anchor.jpg   Bath Door strap bottom anchor.jpg  

Sold both 7/22
Old 05-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Great solution and looks good too! Might you have been on the road to Chaco canyon?

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post
Great solution and looks good too! Might you have been on the road to Chaco canyon?

Dave
My thought exactly. That gets my vote for the roughest maintained dirt road in the country. Shook my car battery out of the tray.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape
Childproofing > Multi-Purpose Adjustable Lock Strap by Safety 1st from Buy Buy Baby

This works great. When not moving the strap can be re-clipped in opposite direction to keep it out of the way. $4.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post

Dave

No...ironically we WERE scheduled to go to Chaco Canyon - even had reservations - but changed our plans because there were t-storms predicted up that way. So instead we went down to Silver City and camped at Burro Mountain Homestead RV park. Knew it was 7 miles of dirt road in but had no idea it would be so washboarded. Plus, the bungie solution failed when a 3M hook rattled off its backing plate and released the bungie holding the fridge door. I think we are covered now!!
Sold both 7/22
Old 05-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #39

Aha.
Yes, the 3M hooks are designed so you can take the hook off the mount, to remove the mount. They only stay put when upright.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #40

Trailer: Starcraft Starflyer
Fran & Dave: You said that for the bathroom door you went top to bottom so you would have a secure place for the footman's loops. By secure are you saying that's where the wall reinforcing is? Also to go vertical on this door I am assuming you would need a strap 13' long. Is that about right?

Thanks for you help.
Dave
Poncho is offline   Reply With Quote