Kitchen Sink Drain Basket and Waste Pipe Connection - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2017, 09:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Kitchen Sink Drain Basket and Waste Pipe Connection

The kitchen sink has not drained fully since we purchased the trailer last summer. The basket sits high enough above the bottom of the sink to leave a pond. It doesn't leak but the wet sink and goo left behind is slightly annoying. I was thinking I just need to remove, reseat the gasket and tighten.

I investigated under the sink and the drain pipe doesn't appear to be connected or sealed to the drain basket. Anyone else seen this before?

This would probably explain some of the tank odours in the trailer. I always thought it was the toilet but this makes more sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Haven't seen that before, but it's definitely not installed correctly. I would remove the drain pipe and the sink drain, and reinstall.

As for any odors, I would think those would be taken care of by the vent pipe, regardless of the loose drain installation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2017, 09:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Rubber washer

Looks like your rubber washer is incorrectly installed. The rubber washer goes under the sink and plumbers putty is used under the drain flange on top. A plastic or paper washer is installed between the nut and rubber washer to help the nut tighten up on the rubber washer. Once the rubber washer is moved the sink should completely drain.
I can't see the rest of your trap but a Hepvo valve may be the easiest way to seal things together when space is tight under a sink.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
Looks like your rubber washer is incorrectly installed. The rubber washer goes under the sink and plumbers putty is used under the drain flange on top. A plastic or paper washer is installed between the nut and rubber washer to help the nut tighten up on the rubber washer. Once the rubber washer is moved the sink should completely drain.
I can't see the rest of your trap but a Hepvo valve may be the easiest way to seal things together when space is tight under a sink.
Eddie
I think this was a repair from before my time. The paper and two rubber washers were installed on top side of sink. There is no way of making a mechanical connection between basket and drain line; it was just sitting in there like a funnel hence why it was crooked.

There was no visible trap. Does ETI typically put a trap beneath the sink?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2017, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by msweet View Post
I think this was a repair from before my time. The paper and two rubber washers were installed on top side of sink. There is no way of making a mechanical connection between basket and drain line; it was just sitting in there like a funnel hence why it was crooked.

There was no visible trap. Does ETI typically put a trap beneath the sink?

The piece I took off was also installed in the wrong direction (upside down) and it had a small drip leak at the hose clamp.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:03 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Honestly, that looks like an owner mod that would do away with the "J" trap and gain more room under the sink. I know Ten Forward is plumbed correctly and ETI did not use a rubber hose anywhere in the connection that I can see.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:16 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I would agree with that based on what I see. Ours is properly plumbed and has a trap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2017, 11:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Honestly, that looks like an owner mod that would do away with the "J" trap and gain more room under the sink. I know Ten Forward is plumbed correctly and ETI did not use a rubber hose anywhere in the connection that I can see.
Agreed.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:39 PM   #9

I am going to reinstate the trap even if we lose the cupboard space. Does anyone with a similar vintage 17B have a photo of the undersink plumbing?
Old 06-27-2017, 11:55 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by msweet View Post
I am going to reinstate the trap even if we lose the cupboard space. Does anyone with a similar vintage 17B have a photo of the undersink plumbing?
Now is the perfect opportunity to install a Hepvro. This is a direct link to Jim's mod and photo if you care to look: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...a-10461-4.html

I know this is on my list!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Now is the perfect opportunity to install a Hepvro. This is a direct link to Jim's mod and photo if you care to look: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...a-10461-4.html

I know this is on my list!
Ohhhh.... that looks nice! Thanks for the link!