KoJack levelers are working! - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2016, 11:40 PM   #41

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I tow alone but I just have a small 17 it seems very simple I just get out look to see if it's level if not I back onto one of the plastic blocks - never needed to stack two most sites are fairly level. Might be more difficult with the larger trailers. I don't really like people yelling at me left left no right no my right etc...
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:43 PM   #42

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Those things are Fugly, not putting one on my b e a u t i f u l trailer
Oh put some nail polish and glitter on it and you'd be glamping!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:15 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What I am getting at has been discussed many times before, it is the going camping without all the doodads that are not necessary for camping, and figure out what best works for you. I know I have been sucked into the hype of things only to realize I did not need it, and have abandoned ideas. But most things we incorporate (as likely many others do to), is stuff that weeks/month/years of experience has taught us will be beneficial to our style, a style that is constantly evolving.

and to piggy back on Jim's comment, you tend to stop using items after awhile and leave it at home.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:16 AM   #44

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Gee Donna. I put one on my 5.0TA. It is mounted to a steel plate attached to the loft's frame just above the pin box. Are you calling my Little Elsie FUGLY? ��

But seriously, I find it rather utilitarian when setting up solo and where it is installed, do not find it any more "unattractive" than the pin box itself. Perhaps if I got an artist with an air brush to enhance the pin box's appearance.........��

Then again, I do have a magnetic mount flag holder I fabricated which I usually attach to the pin box which not only draws the onlooker's visual attention away from "fugly," but also alerts me so I don't (shall I say) accidentally and possibly painfully collide with the pin box when I walk too close to it!
Old 12-29-2016, 07:03 AM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Fugly can be color or pattern too depending on the individual. And no, I still won't consider putting a level that's nearly a foot long on the front of my trailer, nor use command-type hooks to mount it temporarily. I don't need to, I use BAL levelers that I am perfectly happy to use.

Aren't we glad there are choices we can make for ourselves?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:29 AM   #46

Quote:
Fugly can be color or pattern too depending on the individual. And no, I still won't consider putting a level that's nearly a foot long on the front of my trailer, nor use command-type hooks to mount it temporarily. I don't need to, I use BAL levelers that I am perfectly happy to use.

Aren't we glad there are choices we can make for ourselves?
Not suggesting that you do anything you find distasteful. This is a simple case of YMMV! But I still want to know if you are calling Little Elsie fugly......🥊 LOL!
Old 12-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I saw one of these mounted on a black pin box of a fifth wheel (non-Escape) and it did not look too bad at all. Better than stuck on the fibreglass body, which Laura would have to do. As well with the pin box location, it is much closer to the driver for them to see too.

Wheel Masters: Level Master
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:22 AM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Not suggesting that you do anything you find distasteful. This is a simple case of YMMV! But I still want to know if you are calling Little Elsie fugly......🥊 LOL!
Not in the least Carl! It's just some of those add-ons that I find Fugly. Trust me, the giant level isn't the only thing I'd say that about. Strictly my opinion of course and certainly not my trailer
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #49

Quote:
Not in the least Carl! It's just some of those add-ons that I find Fugly. Trust me, the giant level isn't the only thing I'd say that about. Strictly my opinion of course and certainly not my trailer
I knew that Donna. You are too diplomatic to say something mean or controversial. I understand your "aesthetic" approach. I would describe my approach as "convenience somewhat tempered by aesthetics." You probably wouldn't like the orange reflectors I have installed (double stick foam tape) on the front. I use them to align the much smaller rectangular reflector on the inside of the F150's rear window with the trailer when backing up to hook up. To me, it doesn't look any worse than all the running lights on the side of the trailer. And the painted (black) plate to which the level is attached is bolted to the framework that the front of the loft sits upon. I drilled and tapped it for two 1/4-20 bolts. The holes could be filled with JB Weld, sanded and painted if I ever wanted to eliminate the level. It would not be there if I had to drill the fiberglass.......no way, no how!
Typically, upon arrival, I only have to get out of the cab one time if the ground is such that I need to use boards or the Andersons to level side-to-side. Same is true when hooking up. I generally only get out once to make final height adjustments for the pin box/hitch alignment. But as I stated, for me to a certain degree, easy trumps looks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0062.jpg  
Old 12-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I saw one of these mounted on a black pin box of a fifth wheel (non-Escape) and it did not look too bad at all. Better than stuck on the fibreglass body, which Laura would have to do. As well with the pin box location, it is much closer to the driver for them to see too.

Wheel Masters: Level Master
I just picked up a 10" wide level and plan on "hanging it" from the front window frame in my 19' with a couple "L" brackets and spring clips when I arrive at the campsite. Between this and the Anderson Levelors, I'm hoping this will work. I will get to try it out in a couple days.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:18 AM   #51

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If a solo traveler's main concern with leveling side-to-side is knowing when it is level from the driver's seat, the straightforward solution is a big level mounted on the front of the trailer (and visible to the driver directly or via the inside rearview mirror). This is not always the only concern with using leveling ramps, but at least this one can be addressed.
with one of those inexpensive temporary mount (suction and/or magnetic) wifi cameras the solo and/or tandem camper might be able to
1. backup to ideal trailer spot with camera on trailer back bumper
2. watch the trailer side-to-side bubble level while driving forward onto those inexpensive ramp levelers
3. watch the ball-hitch lineup when hitching
and a lot of other uses....especially for the solo camper as it's another set of eyes...or for the tandem camper another set of eyes that doesn't yell!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #52

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I just picked up a 10" wide level and plan on "hanging it" from the front window frame in my 19' with a couple "L" brackets and spring clips when I arrive at the campsite. Between this and the Anderson Levelors, I'm hoping this will work. I will get to try it out in a couple days.
It will be great to hear how this goes. The level and the leveller combo should work great. It is what I am thinking to do.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #53

Trailer: Past: 2010 Casita SD(SOLD) Current: 2018 21' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
First off, I would like to thank everyone again that had patience with me while I was trying to figure out how to level the stinkin' trailer, in the thread I started on bringing home The Trailer.

Discovered the BAL levelers don't fit. Back to Amazon they went - easy return - yay! Ordered the KoJacks from Purple Line Mover but they were out of stock.

Kojack| Support |Purple Line

Fortunately we didn't need to take The Trailer anywhere. Got 'em in but then by the time we'd get through with other stuff, it was too dark out. Yeah, I might be leveling in the dark, but not for my first attempt at using 'em.

So, for those losing sleep at night, wondering if it ever got level - you can rest easy now.

IT'S LEVEL!!!!!

Yep, I'm shouting. Yep, we're quite happy. Yep, my hands got sore doing it. Yep, Dirk had to help. Yep, we hit Lowe's a while ago to get stuff to make it easier. Yep, got more practice I need to do, but they're working.

It didn't help that it's muddy where The Trailer is. And heck if I know how these things will work on a wider tire (they say it'll work up to a 17" tire) as I had to kick the things in to get them in place. (mud probably didn't help) There's some adjustment screws on there, but Dirk thinks they make it narrower, not wider. Gotta write Purple Line about that.

Oh, and if you go to their site and watch the video on the KoJacks - they're purple! But now they're bright orange. Dang, would have loved 'em in purple. Guess too many guys complained.

So, here's the photos of them in place. I didn't place it snug up against the side of the tire and left some room. I tried to show that in one of the photos. As you can see there's plenty of room for both of them - I know at least one person asked about that.

Dirk ended up digging a hole in the gravel/dirt at the front of the trailer so the front end could be lowered enough to get level. Yeah for the shovel and pickax! All bubbles are now in the center.

(black cat below is supposed to be a happy, dancing cat - but yeah, kind of weird, huh, but whatever, it's fun!)

And Nathan - this one is for you:

Hi, We are picking up our 21' June 2018. We used a BAL on our previous Casita but sold it with the Casita. We really wanted to use two BAL's on the new 21'. For the Casita my hubbie had to bend the ends to spread the spacing out a little to fit on our 15" tire. Was that your problem also or were the tires too close to get two BAL's to slide next to each other I am nervous to purchase two if they are not going to work with the 21'. Thanks, Sue-z-q
SuezqsZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:09 AM   #54

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I used 2 B@l units on my 19' Escape but decided the weight was too heavy compared to plastic levelers. I sold the B@ls and got this Ramble set from CW Slant Levelers, Set of 2 - Cp Technologies Company RKCW819004 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World
in 6 years of camping have only used them maybe twice/year, I try to select a good site before hand.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:04 AM   #55

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I used 2 B@l units on my 19' Escape but decided the weight was too heavy compared to plastic levelers. I sold the B@ls and got this Ramble set from CW Slant Levelers, Set of 2 - Cp Technologies Company RKCW819004 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World
in 6 years of camping have only used them maybe twice/year, I try to select a good site before hand.

We caught the Anderson leveler duffel bag on sale for $149 and had a 20% off coupon and free shipping.
We use the c-jack pads and the step pad all the time. The rapid jack comes in handy for brake adjustments and would be valuable if we ever need to do a tire change on the road.
We have used the camper levelers so far just one time. Usually we can level with 1 or two of the plywood strips we carry if it is needed. Why not use the levelers? Force of habit I guess, I can tell from the bubble how many pieces of plywood we need so I go with that.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #56

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The slant leveler is what we have . Store in front box and not heavy . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #57

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
with one of those inexpensive temporary mount (suction and/or magnetic)...........
I think this is the ideal solution. Only put the fugly giant level on when setting up. Then take it off once settled in for a beautiful camp site. It also has the distinct advantage of being adjustable. If, after backing into the site, the trailer isn't quite level just adjust the level. Voiala, a perfectly level trailer (or at least a perfectly level level).

We use square plastic blocks. After some time you learn to look at the Escape level and estimate the number of blocks needed. We now hit the correct number first time about 80%. There's some leeway backing also, a few inches short or too far doesn't change the height.

Works for us :-)
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:49 PM   #58

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Yep, some days it is ten times but thankfully not usually! I have been solo much of the time including the last big trips. No camera.

We have lots of plastic blocks and some wood and I am definitely sticking with that after seeing this thread. Can't crank the crank lately (it is more a problem the crank has than me though) so no way I want that set-up, Laura. Can't believe you want something with cranking. My hands and arms are bad, and I figured since yours are, that you would not want that. You may decide to try blocks later!

One thing I have found with the sites is to look at them well and move the trailer back and forth. On recent trips, I think I only used levels at one place even though many needed them at first. I simply moved the trailer a time or two (or three) and found I was then level. Took much less time than dealing with leveling.

Quote:
There is a huge difference between "we" camping and "me" camping. For those with bumper pulls and have a mate to help guide you back over the ball good for you, but it's totally different for solos. Thank goodness for a camera aimed at the hitch. Otherwise it's in-out-pull forward, backup... 10 times. The same with leveling. I bet couples have a routine where the mate checks the bubble levels and determines where the trailer needs to be (forward or back) to be close to level. Solos have to get in and out of the tug. Need to back onto or drive up on blocks or the Anderson? Anyone tell you when to stop? Guess what... doesn't work so well for solos. I can (and have done it) when the blocks need to be on the drivers side. I can't see the tires on the passenger side because the step is in the way. For me certain technology reduces stress and helps along the way... without needing to be fed!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:34 PM   #59

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Can't crank the crank lately (it is more a problem the crank has than me though) so no way I want that set-up, Laura. Can't believe you want something with cranking. My hands and arms are bad, and I figured since yours are,
I'm assuming you mean me Laura - there are several of us here on this forum now - since I'm the one that start this thread. If not, oh well, I'm still replying.

You'll laugh. I don't have ANY problems cranking it because I've not needed it one single time at campsites!!!! Huge knock on wood that it continues that way. Every campsite has been level enough that I don't need to put them on. I know that luck won't continue, regardless of how much wood knocking I do.

Now, at home, it's a different matter. And most of the time Dirk puts them on, even if he hasn't gone with me. Many times I've removed them as I leave after he's gone to work. But, the cranking has been fine.

Lots of different ways to level and what works for one person won't for another or they're not interested.

I do know the BALs weren't wide enough for the tires. A friend with the 2nd Gen 5.0TA had the same problem. We both found the KoJacks work just fine.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:56 AM   #60

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I just roll onto a few plastic squares if I need to level never needed more then one or once two stacked. I really don't want anything complicated the bal levels look nice thought about them -they look easy too bad they don't fit - I thought others used them but I guess I was wrong
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote