KoJack levelers are working! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2016, 05:11 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
KoJack levelers are working!

First off, I would like to thank everyone again that had patience with me while I was trying to figure out how to level the stinkin' trailer, in the thread I started on bringing home The Trailer.

Discovered the BAL levelers don't fit. Back to Amazon they went - easy return - yay! Ordered the KoJacks from Purple Line Mover but they were out of stock.

Kojack| Support |Purple Line

Fortunately we didn't need to take The Trailer anywhere. Got 'em in but then by the time we'd get through with other stuff, it was too dark out. Yeah, I might be leveling in the dark, but not for my first attempt at using 'em.

So, for those losing sleep at night, wondering if it ever got level - you can rest easy now.

IT'S LEVEL!!!!!

Yep, I'm shouting. Yep, we're quite happy. Yep, my hands got sore doing it. Yep, Dirk had to help. Yep, we hit Lowe's a while ago to get stuff to make it easier. Yep, got more practice I need to do, but they're working.

It didn't help that it's muddy where The Trailer is. And heck if I know how these things will work on a wider tire (they say it'll work up to a 17" tire) as I had to kick the things in to get them in place. (mud probably didn't help) There's some adjustment screws on there, but Dirk thinks they make it narrower, not wider. Gotta write Purple Line about that.

Oh, and if you go to their site and watch the video on the KoJacks - they're purple! But now they're bright orange. Dang, would have loved 'em in purple. Guess too many guys complained.

So, here's the photos of them in place. I didn't place it snug up against the side of the tire and left some room. I tried to show that in one of the photos. As you can see there's plenty of room for both of them - I know at least one person asked about that.

Dirk ended up digging a hole in the gravel/dirt at the front of the trailer so the front end could be lowered enough to get level. Yeah for the shovel and pickax! All bubbles are now in the center.

(black cat below is supposed to be a happy, dancing cat - but yeah, kind of weird, huh, but whatever, it's fun!)

And Nathan - this one is for you:

Attached Thumbnails
DSC04989.jpg   DSC04990.jpg   DSC04991.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Did Amazon charge you shipping to return the other B@l set? I always thought if you order and the mistake is yours, you pay to return it.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post

IT'S LEVEL!!!!!

Yep, I'm shouting. Yep, we're quite happy. Yep, my hands got sore doing it. Yep, Dirk had to help. Yep, we hit Lowe's a while ago to get stuff to make it easier. Yep, got more practice I need to do, but they're working.
Laura, thanks for sharing your experience with the levelers.

How much effort did it take to turn the adjusting bolt to raise the trailer? Did you use a power tool or elbow grease to turn the adjustment to raise trailer?
Old 12-27-2016, 05:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
And Nathan - this one is for you:

Well at least you're finally embracing your inner Hello Kitty!
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:54 PM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Answers to above:

Jim - full return. Got it as an Amazon gift card which got used up pretty quickly. I forget the exact reason I used but said they didn't fit.

Mike & Donna: killed my gut cranking on it, which isn't good. Dirk had to end up finishing it for me. I had tried my battery operated drill and the thing just about flew out of my hand. We looked at some others at Lowe's this afternoon and we'll try out one that Dirk has that has more umph than mine does. I don't have a ton of strength - but probably will have more after doing all this trailer setting up stuff.

The tires had sunk into the mud so that didn't help either. I'm suspecting I won't need to crank 'em as much when I pull into a spot, but we'll see.

(Okay, those that use pads to back up on can start snickering now. )

So, any suggestions on a good power drill to use to crank these and the scissor jacks up and down would be greatly appreciated.

Nathan - I guess you're dragging my Inner Hello Kitty out. I never knew it was there, so thanks.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #6

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:

Discovered the BAL levelers don't fit. Back to Amazon they went - easy return - yay! Ordered the KoJacks from Purple Line Mover but they were out of stock.

Kojack| Support |Purple Line

So, here's the photos of them in place. I didn't place it snug up against the side of the tire and left some room. I tried to show that in one of the photos. As you can see there's plenty of room for both of them - I know at least one person asked about that.
hope nobody falls and impales themselves on what appears to be big bolts sticking up in the air....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
And heck if I know how these things will work on a wider tire (they say it'll work up to a 17" tire) as I had to kick the things in to get them in place. (mud probably didn't help) There's some adjustment screws on there, but Dirk thinks they make it narrower, not wider. Gotta write Purple Line about that.
As described in the instructions, and as apparent in the photos, there are three closely-spaced positions for the bolts that hold the side sections to the centre section. The bolts are currently in the furthest-apart positions, so I agree that they can only be adjusted narrower from their current setting.

"A 17" tire" doesn't mean much, since it is the overall tire diameter and width, not the wheel size, which matters. What the manufacturer claims is that they will fit up to a 245/65R17 tire: yes, that's on a 17" wheel but it is only about 750 mm or 29.5" in overall diameter, only a couple inches larger in diameter than Escape's ST205/75R15. On a harder surface, I'm not surprised the levelers at the same setting would fit the larger tire.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I had tried my battery operated drill and the thing just about flew out of my hand. We looked at some others at Lowe's this afternoon and we'll try out one that Dirk has that has more umph than mine does. D
Umm, don't know how to say this gently but...if a weak drill just about flies out of your hand a stronger one will break your wrist. If they require that much torque to turn you need a drill that has a secondary handle.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
...if a weak drill just about flies out of your hand a stronger one will break your wrist. If they require that much torque to turn you need a drill that has a secondary handle.
I agree that a side handle is needed to better handle the torque if using a drill and having trouble controlling it with just the regular "pistol grip" handle.

Another option is to use an impact wrench (or "impact driver"), which uses short pulses of high torque, resulting in the bolt turning slowly but with less reaction torque. Lots of people have cordless impact tools, so I suggest borrowing one to try it and see if it works better for you.

A cordless impact wrench can also be used to drive the stabilizer jacks (although I suggest care to avoid excessive torque applied to those) and to speed up wheel nut removal and installation (although the less-powerful models among cordless impact wrenches won't typically have enough torque to break loose or final tighten 1/2" thread wheel nuts unless they're right at maximum battery charge, if they can do it at all).
Old 12-27-2016, 07:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If I'm serious about turning nuts with a "drill" I go to a Milwaukee 2764-22 Hi Torque Impact
Wrench. It will loosen or tighten any nut on an Escape trailer including tightening or loosening lug nuts.
With no cord and two batteries it has the portability and power to get the job done. Buy it as a kit, it stores nicely and is attractive too.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
If I'm serious about turning nuts with a "drill" I go to a Milwaukee 2764-22 Hi Torque Impact
Wrench. It will loosen or tighten any nut on an Escape trailer including tightening or loosening lug nuts.
With no cord and two batteries it has the portability and power to get the job done. Buy it as a kit, it stores nicely and is attractive too.
Dave

Dave you are the only person I have know who would think a torque wrench was attractive ...... have you considered counseling?
Old 12-27-2016, 09:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Wrench.
Dave
Does it come with an instruction manual?
Old 12-27-2016, 09:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Another option is to use an impact wrench (or "impact driver"), which uses short pulses of high torque, resulting in the bolt turning slowly but with less reaction torque.
Oh, but the noise I hate the trend towards using them in a campground.

I converted my tongue jack to power but it wouldn't work without using the impact wrench. Couldn't stand doing that so I returned it to manual, much quieter.

Ron
Old 12-27-2016, 10:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Quote:
Another option is to use an impact wrench (or "impact driver")...
Oh, but the noise I hate the trend towards using them in a campground.
Good point. I only use one of these tools for wheel nuts and other mechanical work. I have only hand-cranked RV jacks (and used hydraulic power leveling jacks).
Old 12-27-2016, 10:18 PM   #15

Quote:
If I'm serious about turning nuts with a "drill" I go to a Milwaukee 2764-22 Hi Torque Impact Wrench...
That's a substantial chunk of tool. Milwaukee doesn't even seem to be willing to publish a weight for it, but from a retailer site it looks like 5.7 pounds for the bare tool plus 1.6 pounds for the battery (plus the charger, case, and any extra batteries... but you don't have to lift the rest of the stuff while using the tool).

I'm not concerned about weight carried with the trailer so much as how easy it is to use (especially for someone without a lot of hand strength).
Old 12-27-2016, 10:38 PM   #16

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
....... as how easy it is to use (especially for someone without a lot of hand strength).
Wondering about Laura's hand strength and torquing.

Laura, how did you do torquing the 4 wheels from the Escape pick up point to your home? It just occurred to me it had to have been challenging doing so several time before getting home.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Umm, don't know how to say this gently but...if a weak drill just about flies out of your hand a stronger one will break your wrist. If they require that much torque to turn you need a drill that has a secondary handle.

Ron
Yep, that's what we're gonna get. Dirk is well aware of all this stuff, but thanks for pointing it out.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Wondering about Laura's hand strength and torquing.

Laura, how did you do torquing the 4 wheels from the Escape pick up point to your home? It just occurred to me it had to have been challenging doing so several time before getting home.
I didn't cuz I didn't have anything to do it with (to measure the torque or however you say it). I figured it wasn't that long of a drive, so I risked it. And yeah, that's something else we need to get figured out.

Like I said before, sure glad we didn't have to take this puppy on a long drive home. I don't know if we would have made it!
Old 12-28-2016, 09:47 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Dave you are the only person I have know who would think a torque wrench was attractive ...... have you considered counseling?
Having endorsed the mantra that Form follows Function and having encountered numerous tools that perform admirably, I've had time to study form on several occasions and do in fact find tools and machinery attractive at times.
On a related note I'm amazed that the Madison Avenue people can sell cars and trucks with emphasis on frivolous features like tailgate helper handles, foot operated rear hatch sensors and contrived driving situations all the while not mentioning horsepower, engine torque or power curves.
I do not find "rattle guns" offensive personally, probably owing to having used them for 50 plus years to make a living and to make efficient use of time. Sticking a big drill, turning say a 5/8 drill bit as it punches through heavy steel can indeed be dangerous to anyone. Impact wrenches for me are much less intimidating, just noisy. Read the book, buy local, from a dealer with repair capabilities, get acquainted with the counter guys, works for me.
I am excited that all of the tools formerly made in the States and now made in China will be returning to U.S. production soon. Or so I understand.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #20

Quote:
I do not find "rattle guns" offensive personally, probably owing to having used them for 50 plus years to make a living and to make efficient use of time.
Me neither when I'm using one of my several to do the work they were originally designed for. But when folks use them in a campground to do things like raise and lower stabilizers, which can be done with a non-impact drill, it irks me.

Yup, there's beauty in machinery. I always enjoy looking at finely machined tools and machinery and cringe at crude junk, even if it'll "do the job".

The more I look at photos of the Ko-Jack levelers the more I appreciate the simplicity of my 2 x 10 blocks. Stop a little short of your the final spot, put blocks down, pull forward. Done.

Ron