Large object storage with 5.0 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2020, 03:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA/2022 Ram Hemi
My Webber fits in the upper storage area, just takes a bit of tilting and maneuvering. The gill cover will contact the upper storage opening and a small scuff is starting to show on the grill. After the first few tries, I only touch the opening 50 percent of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
20201112_123451.jpg  
waltkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #22

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It isn't smaller, but the Demco Recon has almost the same footprint - only 13/16" wider, although the frame has flanges sticking up on the sides. It does have more hardware under the pyramid essentially eliminated the small storage space there. It's not a smaller product, but a reasonable compact option.
You're correct, the Demco Recon isn't smaller, can't store hardly anything in it's footprint, and weighs 94 pounds not 40. I don't find that a reasonable compact option. I want benefits, not negatives, when I make an informed decision.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Jim, when you fill that extension and roll down the road, does it create sway? I have had trailers that if you load the back end up too much, it starts to sway on the road.

i would imagine the 5.0 is as stable as any trailer under these conditions. But I do wonder about rear loading.

As usual for you, nice job on the mods.
Not one bit of issue. I had it all planned out well ahead. Note that the cargo box is real close to the trailer. I also mounted the spare under the front of the trailer. My pin weight is 350 kg (770 lb).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:59 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
You're correct, the Demco Recon isn't smaller, can't store hardly anything in it's footprint, and weighs 94 pounds not 40. I don't find that a reasonable compact option. I want benefits, not negatives, when I make an informed decision.
Some people want to keep the trailer a fifth-wheel (pin-and-plate hitch) rather than convert it to a ball-and-socket hitch. For them any fifth-wheel will be much heavier than an Andersen Ultimate, and the Recon is reasonable, and is more compact (leaving more cargo space, which is the current topic) than typical fifth-wheels.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:19 AM   #25

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Some people want to keep the trailer a fifth-wheel (pin-and-plate hitch) rather than convert it to a ball-and-socket hitch. For them any fifth-wheel will be much heavier than an Andersen Ultimate, and the Recon is reasonable, and is more compact (leaving more cargo space, which is the current topic) than typical fifth-wheels.
Didn't realize we were talking exceptions. I guess if they want the negatives, that's their problem.

I'm seeing more and more Andersen hitches on large 5th wheels for the reasons stated here. We've had a pin-and-plate hitch in the past and wouldn't go back.

Perry