Large object storage with 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2020, 08:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Large object storage with 5.0

Hi. We’ve got a 5.0 in order to replace the 17B, and I’ve been wondering: where do you store bigger gear like a Weber Q grill (love that thing!) and/or a portable solar panel? My tug has been a half ton truck with a tonneau, and those things found an easy home in it.

Just started researching Andersen hitches; reviews are very positive but some mention hitch solutions that take up less bed space than the Andersen Ultimate.

Thanks for your experience!
Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My grill (BBQ) goes in the front storage, and the potable solar under the stairs.

I did build a rear storage box that holds my firepit, stove, houses, cables, etc with bikes on top.

Asking with still plenty of room in the tichel bed we are finding we have spare storage space.

I have been using the Anderson Ultimate for 5 years now, and it has worked fantastic.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:09 AM   #3

Thanks Jim

Have you ever uploaded a photo of the rear box you built showing it and your bike arrangement? Love to see it. We want to take our bikes on a back hitch rack and thought that precluded extra posterior storage.

Do you have to take the lid off the Weber to get it in the front storage box? I read somewhere on forum a member said that’s how he does it.

Under stairs storage for solar—hmm. I’ve got a double panel ZAMP unit, surely too big to fit in the under stairs?
Jonathan
Old 11-11-2020, 09:51 AM   #4

Jonathan, mine is not a Weber, but many others have stored their BBQ in that front storage cabinet. Mine is a Dickinson Spitfire.

I had tall portable panels before too. What I did was to make the top step into a storage area and had a slot allowed in the floor of that step for the panels to slide down to the floor, giving them enough. I will be buying a Lensub 100 watt portable unit for its more compact size.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00516.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	51931
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #5

Jim - what are you using for portable panels and did you have to modify the stair storage to fit them? We've got the Renogy 100W suitcase with our Scamp, going with the single rooftop panel on our 5.0TA (on order). Trying to decide whether to keep the portable or not, storage is the big consideration.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:00 AM   #6

I had by GoPower 80W set that was stolen when my trailer was broken into, but have nothing right now. With 240W on the roof I usually am just fine, but as mentioned will likely get a Lensun set as they are much slimmer and smaller being 3 panel 100W set.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Jonathan, mine is not a Weber, but many others have stored their BBQ in that front storage cabinet. Mine is a Dickinson Spitfire.

I had tall portable panels before too. What I did was to make the top step into a storage area and had a slot allowed in the floor of that step for the panels to slide down to the floor, giving them enough. I will be buying a Lensub 100 watt portable unit for its more compact size.

Attachment 51931

Truly a nice set up.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:17 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I kept a pair of 50w portables in the front storage that were bought to fit, but never needed them. Weber Q went in a Cabela's Duffle bag in the truck bed tucked under the tonneau cover.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I kept a pair of 50w portables in the front storage that were bought to fit, but never needed them. Weber Q went in a Cabela's Duffle bag in the truck bed tucked under the tonneau cover.

Yeah, I’m hoping to keep Weber right behind cab.
J
Old 11-11-2020, 10:35 AM   #10

Here’s a link to renoescape’s unbelievable modifications to his 5.0. A rolling work of art. This is the page on his step modifications, but, wow, the other things he’s done!

https://escape440.wordpress.com/2016...s-and-storage/

And a useful link from Centex’s collection:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post333214

Jonathan
Old 11-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Hi. We’ve got a 5.0 in order to replace the 17B, and I’ve been wondering: where do you store bigger gear like a Weber Q grill (love that thing!) and/or a portable solar panel? My tug has been a half ton truck with a tonneau, and those things found an easy home in it.

Just started researching Andersen hitches; reviews are very positive but some mention hitch solutions that take up less bed space than the Andersen Ultimate.

Jonathan
My Weber rides in the back corner of the truck box....no cover or bin just a piece of wire keeping the lid from opening. It rides the long way going front to back and the feet sort of wedge into the grooves in the bedliner...lots of miles and no problems. We don't bring a portable solar at the moment but I would either put iit in the closet or under the steps.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:

Jonathan
Store the grill in front hatch.
What hitch takes less space or is lighter for that matter?
Attached Thumbnails
70A0D94B-670D-43B8-8F02-C4A8CBF8274F.jpg   62C6F0CD-FDB8-4D8C-BC5F-230DBBBE6475.jpg   9A87B4EE-C13E-4702-A8F2-2F3C3E3A414E.jpeg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:09 PM   #13

“My Weber rides in the back corner of the truck box....no cover or bin just a piece of wire keeping the lid from opening. It rides the long way going front to back and the feet sort of wedge into the grooves in the bedliner...lots of miles and no problems. We don't bring a portable solar at the moment”

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/a...2&d=1605124339

Better and better! Thanks,
Jonathan
Old 11-11-2020, 02:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I did build a rear storage box that holds my firepit, stove, houses, cables, etc with bikes on top.
Gee Jim, I knew it was a big box, but houses!

It is a good setup for a 5.0 that's carrying bikes and lot's of other stuff on a longer trip.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:19 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
my Weber fit in the front storage with my stove on top
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Gee Jim, I knew it was a big box, but houses!

It is a good setup for a 5.0 that's carrying bikes and lot's of other stuff on a longer trip.

Ron
Too late to edit it to hoses, eh? [emoji23]
Old 11-12-2020, 04:44 AM   #17

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:

Jonathan
Our Weber Q sits in the pickup bed.

We opened up the top step and installed installed a false floor, so our 100 watt folding Renogy panel stores perfectly underneath the false floor while our shoes ride on top of the false floor.

I've yet to see a 5th hitch that takes up less floor space than a rail version Andersen hitch. Remember you can store items underneath the hitch as well.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-12-2020, 10:52 AM   #18

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Hi Jonathon
Quote:
I’ve been wondering: where do you store bigger gear like a Weber Q grill (love that thing!) and/or a portable solar panel?
I have the Q1200, we put it in the front hatch. I remove the cover, put the grill into the hatch and then set the cover on top (I do not reattach the pins). No problems.
We have the side wings, they are sturdy and store under the lid, they do not take up any extra room.

My tug has been a half ton truck with a tonneau, and those things found an easy home in it.
We have the Andersen Ultimate Rail mount in the F150 with a 5.5' box and the rollup tonneau cover, plenty of room, this picture shows us loaded and ready to hook up the 5.0.

We do not have a portable solar panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Bed of truck loaded IMG_20200604_170307.jpg  
Old 11-12-2020, 01:55 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I've yet to see a 5th hitch that takes up less floor space than a rail version Andersen hitch. Remember you can store items underneath the hitch as well.
It isn't smaller, but the Demco Recon has almost the same footprint - only 13/16" wider, although the frame has flanges sticking up on the sides. It does have more hardware under the pyramid essentially eliminated the small storage space there. It's not a smaller product, but a reasonable compact option.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Jim, when you fill that extension and roll down the road, does it create sway? I have had trailers that if you load the back end up too much, it starts to sway on the road.

i would imagine the 5.0 is as stable as any trailer under these conditions. But I do wonder about rear loading.

As usual for you, nice job on the mods. This video in no way reflects your mod, I would go to you for advice any time.

Just a reminder what a responsibility we all shoulder.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote