Leak from above grey water tank - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2022, 07:00 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Cindy this is an Escape Trailer Forum and while we'd like to help it's unlikely that anyone knows the construction details of your brand of trailer.

I wouldn't drop the tank before I explored the drain pipe that goes down into the tank. Possibly you could undo the sink trap and see if the drain pipe lifts out. If it did you'd see if it was broken or threads into the tank.

Good luck

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 11:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 5.0
I have a 5.0 on order and thought they resolved this by now But my concern is if you have all that spray foam under there How long is it going to have to drip before you know you have a leak?
Grasshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 11:29 PM   #23

This is a good idea I wonder if we could Have them start making access to plumbing the same way at the factory I don't understand why they're still having this problem It's been ongoing ever since I've looked into buying one of these over a year ago,, You would think the newer ones by now would have some solution How hard can it be?
Old 08-22-2022, 11:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshog View Post
I have a 5.0 on order and thought they resolved this by now But my concern is if you have all that spray foam under there How long is it going to have to drip before you know you have a leak?
Quote:
This is a good idea I wonder if we could Have them start making access to plumbing the same way at the factory I don't understand why they're still having this problem It's been ongoing ever since I've looked into buying one of these over a year ago,, You would think the newer ones by now would have some solution How hard can it be?
My response was for a person with a Gulf Stream, not an Escape. it sometimes helps to read previous posts before replying.

Plumbing leaks happen but it's not an epidemic.

Ron
Old 08-22-2022, 12:32 PM   #25

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
It happens real fast. I haven't timed it. The foam is permeable. Apparently.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 12:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
My response was for a person with a Gulf Stream, not an Escape. it sometimes helps to read previous posts before replying.
Plumbing leaks happen but it's not an epidemic. Ron
Having a bad day? I think the question is relevant re: the "Escape Family" and the gray water tank leaks.
Old 08-22-2022, 03:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
It happens real fast. I haven't timed it. The foam is permeable. Apparently.
Sorry my question was If you have spray from under the trailer And then after you have a leak in one of your tanks How are you going to find the leak It must have to drip a long time before it comes through all that foam
Old 08-22-2022, 04:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Sorry my question was If you have spray from under the trailer And then after you have a leak in one of your tanks How are you going to find the leak It must have to drip a long time before it comes through all that foam
The short answer is that the source of the leak stems from the failure of the ABS fitting which goes into the top of the gray water tank. Here's the link to a "Sticky" thread on this subject. You will get the complete lowdown. Attached an image of my broken fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
20210920_131324-Edit.jpg  
Old 08-22-2022, 04:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Having a bad day? I think the question is relevant re: the "Escape Family" and the gray water tank leaks.
Nah, I'm having a great day. Rode my Goldwing up the Sea to Sky Hwy. to Squamish for lunch. Blue sky, sparkling water, islands and mountains, what's not to love and put you in a good mood.

My comment relates to people who don't have an Escape or any experience with them not missing an opportunity to slag ETI. That does put me in a bad mood.

Ron
Old 08-22-2022, 05:22 PM   #30

More Images.
Attached Thumbnails
20210922_165351-Edit-Edit.jpg   20210922_170454-Edit.jpg  
Old 08-22-2022, 05:57 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
More Images.
Richard, which cupboard is this where you took the pic? Like floor, right under kitchen sink?
Attached Thumbnails
20210922_170454-Edit.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:05 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Richard, which cupboard is this where you took the pic? Like floor, right under kitchen sink?
21C. Sink base. Left front.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:11 PM   #33

Hopefully that's the same situation in the Gulfstream, the topic of these recent threads.

Dropping the tank before exploring the intake piping wouldn't be the thing to do.

Ron
Old 08-23-2022, 10:18 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Dropping the tank before exploring the intake piping wouldn't be the thing to do. Ron
Not at all.

When the company was all silent about this leak and when Dustin said that 'I was the first person to report a problem with the gray tank leaking' and ignorant about the source of the problem -- on my back, I hacked away at the foam insulation until I was able to expose the ABS pipe/connection which exits at the bottom/side of the tank. Only to rule out the fact that the leak wasn't at that junction. What a PIA.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:20 AM   #35

Every chain has a weak link and unfortunately ETI's seems to be a person in a very important position. That's definitely an area that could be improved.

Ron
Old 08-23-2022, 11:23 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
No kidding.
Old 09-11-2022, 09:03 PM   #37

Trailer: looking to buy
Have a 2019 Escape 19. Developed leaks at the shower and bathroom sink connections at the grey water tank. repaired them by cutting 1 1/2" pipe,replacing the fitting at the tank
and using a flexible coupling as advised by other owners and by Dustin at Escape. So far so good. Now we have a leak at the kitchen sink line at the the grey water tank fitting. No room for a flex coupling there. Flex ells are too long and don't allow enough room for a similar repair to the others we completed. Has anyone made this repair. If so where were you able to use a flex fitting. Dustin says use a flex coupling on the pipe under the sink. We will do so, but once the repair is made and the pipe sealed at the floor penetration with foam where it passes through the floor the plumbing will be rigid again. Any thoughts would be helpful. Not sure what Escape has done to have such a widespread problem with these connections. Never seen this in other trailers.
dana mcdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:10 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana mcdaniel View Post
Have a 2019 Escape 19. Developed leaks at the shower and bathroom sink connections at the grey water tank. repaired them by cutting 1 1/2" pipe,replacing the fitting at the tank
and using a flexible coupling as advised by other owners and by Dustin at Escape. So far so good. Now we have a leak at the kitchen sink line at the the grey water tank fitting. No room for a flex coupling there. Flex ells are too long and don't allow enough room for a similar repair to the others we completed. Has anyone made this repair. If so where were you able to use a flex fitting. Dustin says use a flex coupling on the pipe under the sink. We will do so, but once the repair is made and the pipe sealed at the floor penetration with foam where it passes through the floor the plumbing will be rigid again. Any thoughts would be helpful. Not sure what Escape has done to have such a widespread problem with these connections. Never seen this in other trailers.
You don't need to use a flex fitting for the kitchen sink repair - just replace the ABS piping with SJ pipe/fittings. The SJ piping has inherent flex, available at any hardware store, and is easier to run. While your at it, dump the S trap and install a Hepvo valve.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...all-12288.html
Old 09-12-2022, 10:42 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
You don't need to use a flex fitting for the kitchen sink repair - just replace the ABS piping with SJ pipe/fittings. The SJ piping has inherent flex, available at any hardware store, and is easier to run. While your at it, dump the S trap and install a Hepvo valve.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...all-12288.html
Agreed. Dustin doesn't know what he's talking about. Attached is the fitting I used to begin the journey up to the sink drain after I extracted the broken off piece of the ABS. I discarded the nut on the new fitting. Applied Oatey Great White Pipe sealant to the threads. It took awhile to thread it all the way snug into the tank. Not a problem. I turned on the overhead fan, stove fan, open all the windows, lit a cigar and put a piece of 4-inch foam down for my poor knees.

I do not recommend getting the second one displayed. It crowds the already cramped front left corner of the base cabinet making it a real PIA to thread in.
The second phase for me was playing around with all the pieces I had scattered about without at the same time committing to connecting everything up tight. The location of the Hepvo valve was prioritized. I used (1) 23° 1.5" Street glued, coming out of the hub. And another 23° to meet up with the Hepvo valve. It may not be pretty -- more like a jury rig I suppose. But it works. [Knock on the Gel coat]
Attached Thumbnails
Pipe Fitting.jpg   20210924_125340.jpg   20211103_150442.jpg  
Old 09-13-2022, 07:41 AM   #40

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Leak in grey water tank connection(s)

Yesterday while dumping at Assateague Island SP, I noticed that I too am a member of this sad club, with my just-out-of-warranty 5.0TA. Haven't done any diagnostics yet, but the leak is coming off the top of the tank. Do any of you folks have an estimate on the number of hours it took to drop the tank, remediate the connections, and re-install?
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote