Leak from above grey water tank - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2023, 08:14 PM   #41

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Add our Jan 2020 21C to the list of gray tank galley sink drain connection leakers. The abundance of close quarters in the lower cabinet level no doubt also creates likelihood of preloading and vibration especially at the elbow 15 inches above the floor level drain connection. Underneath I noticed that the streetside tank strap is set open one inch presumably to create a slope to aid draining. By the looks of things inside the cabinet this slope could have been created after the plumbing was installed which could potentially have contributed to preloading.

Thanks to Telescopist for his expertise and advice by email and phone conversation I was able to jury rig a repair. The fix was to extract the broken off old adapter threaded portion, insert a new one using teflon tape to seal the threads while still enabling future removal, bring the lower level plumbing away from the tight quarters using two 30 elbows and then build up from there using a 1 1/2 inch rubber coupler to provide a modicum of flexibility to the lower assembly.

Extracting the broken off threaded adapter portion out of the tank opening was a challenge. With no radiator spud wrench to be found in our town I had to use a splined extraction tool which required more down pressure than I was able to physically exert due to the awkward location. So I employed a small bottle jack for that purpose. Anyone using this method should beware that the top of the tank is pushed down when exerting pressure, so use only as much pressure as is required to get the extraction tool to bite. I inserted the new adapter using a tool fabricated out of a section of old ABS.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if my photos will display right side up, but clicking to view each one individually will display each individual photo right side up. The attached photos hopefully depict my process. My solution is much less sophisticated than Telescopists's. There may be a Hepvo valve in my future placed at this location but for now I just kept it simple and went with he old P trap.

John

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gray tank strap adjustmentsa.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	68643

Name:	Collar separation.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	68644

Name:	Collar Extraction Setupa.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	68645

Name:	Extracted Collara.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	68646

Name:	Adapter P Na.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	68647

Name:	Installing Adaptera.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	68648

Name:	Final Installationa.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	68650

Name:	Adapter In Place Minus Jam Nuta.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	68649
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 09:18 PM   #42

Trailer: 2019 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana mcdaniel View Post
Have a 2019 Escape 19. Developed leaks at the shower and bathroom sink connections at the grey water tank. repaired them by cutting 1 1/2" pipe,replacing the fitting at the tank
and using a flexible coupling as advised by other owners and by Dustin at Escape. So far so good. Now we have a leak at the kitchen sink line at the the grey water tank fitting. No room for a flex coupling there. Flex ells are too long and don't allow enough room for a similar repair to the others we completed. Has anyone made this repair. If so where were you able to use a flex fitting. Dustin says use a flex coupling on the pipe under the sink. We will do so, but once the repair is made and the pipe sealed at the floor penetration with foam where it passes through the floor the plumbing will be rigid again. Any thoughts would be helpful. Not sure what Escape has done to have such a widespread problem with these connections. Never seen this in other trailers.
In our new to us 2019 E19 we had the same leak at the kitchen sink drain 1.5" input to the gray tank. The 1.5" fitting sheared off at the threads like so many others on this and various other posts. I too wanted a flex in the sink drain under the floor between the floor and the tank due to the same reasons you stated. After a lot of playing around with PVC fittings I finally figured out something that'll allow the use of a flex ell in this location on the E19 gray tank. For the tank side I used a standard DWV 1.5" threaded adapter with a short piece of PVC pipe. For the opposite side I used a slip fit PVC street elbow. I cut about .75" of the male side of the PVC elbow off to allow the flex ell to fit all the way up flush against the female side of the PVC 90, pic's included.

I went ahead and also installed a 1.5" flex joint directly above the floor in the lower cabinet beneath the sink too. I do not think we'll ever have another issue with this, there's plenty of "give" to absorb vibration and movement now.

I also changed out the other 2 drains, both the sink/shower & the main gray waste drain received flex joints. The shower/sink drain snapped when I started cutting it and there was obvious signs that it had already cracked, but just hadn't yet separated. Pic of 3 new flex joints attached.

Name:	PXL_20230624_163934972.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	69113

Name:	PXL_20230624_164005310.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	69114

Name:	PXL_20230624_164147689.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	69115

Name:	PXL_20230624_180635534.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	69116
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 09:35 PM   #43

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberman View Post
In our new to us 2019 E19 we had the same leak at the kitchen sink drain 1.5" input to the gray tank. The 1.5" fitting sheared off at the threads like so many others on this and various other posts. I too wanted a flex in the sink drain under the floor between the floor and the tank due to the same reasons you stated. After a lot of playing around with PVC fittings I finally figured out something that'll allow the use of a flex ell in this location on the E19 gray tank. For the tank side I used a standard DWV 1.5" threaded adapter with a short piece of PVC pipe. For the opposite side I used a slip fit PVC street elbow. I cut about .75" of the male side of the PVC elbow off to allow the flex ell to fit all the way up flush against the female side of the PVC 90, pic's included.

I went ahead and also installed a 1.5" flex joint directly above the floor in the lower cabinet beneath the sink too. I do not think we'll ever have another issue with this, there's plenty of "give" to absorb vibration and movement now.

I also changed out the other 2 drains, both the sink/shower & the main gray waste drain received flex joints. The shower/sink drain snapped when I started cutting it and there was obvious signs that it had already cracked, but just hadn't yet separated. Pic of 3 new flex joints attached.

Attachment 69113

Attachment 69114

Attachment 69115

Attachment 69116

Nicely done. On my 2019 E19, I installed a Hepvo Waterless P Trap. There is a bunch of give in the piping so I'm thinking it will be okay. BTW...this P trap really works. https://drainmaster.com/rv/hepvo-waterless-valve

You won't get any disagreement from me about this ETI issue. I still need to fix the shower drain as I'm pretty sure its cracked. But I don't want to chip away the foam insulation until it gets a little worse.
lostskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 10:10 PM   #44

I still plan to replace the gray tank vent fitting too. Based on the odors we were getting inside from the gray tank on our last trip I'm fairly certain it's broken as well. Thanks to your picture with the tape measure included that will be a much easier job when I begin cutting the bathroom wall.
Old 06-27-2023, 12:01 PM   #45

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA/2022 Ram Hemi
JohnK, where did you purchase the splined extraction tool?
waltkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 12:06 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltkaren View Post
Not JohnK, but I bought the extraction tool off of Amazon. It's called a 1.5" tub drain extractor, there's a bunch of them for sale on there.
Old 06-27-2023, 12:28 PM   #47

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltkaren View Post
I bought the extraction tool at my local ACE Hardware store.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 02:03 PM   #48

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
I still plan to replace the gray tank vent fitting too. Based on the odors we were getting inside from the gray tank on our last trip I'm fairly certain it's broken as well. Thanks to your picture with the tape measure included that will be a much easier job when I begin cutting the bathroom wall.
Install a Hepvo Valve. Problem solved with odors.
https://hepvo.com/hepvo-waterless-valve/
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 09:08 PM   #49

Quote:

I finally had the time a few weeks ago to open the bathroom wall and sure enough our vent line fitting was broken right at the gray tank outlet. Once again, sheared right off at the threads of the 1.5" fitting flush with the tank.

I included a few pics of the repair and of the size of the hole that I opened up. Hopefully the tape measures will give others an idea of the size of hole they can cut. Just a warning, if you cut much higher off the floor than I did you'll be getting close to where the fiberglass bath insert comes out near to the wall. The top of my opening is only about 1" below where the insert comes out close to the wall.

I ended up using a 1.5" to 1.25" reducer and then used a 1.25" street ell and had to cut the outlet of the ell down to allow it to spin in without hitting the wall when tightening.

I used a 12 x 6 brown HVAC return grill to cover the opening. I reinforced the opening with some 1 x 2 wood pieces placed vertically just inside of my opening. They are glued and screwed to the paneling. These are what the 4 black wood screws that are shown are screwed into. These 1 x 2 strips help to reinforce the wall and allowed a sturdy backing for the HVAC grill screws to screw into.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20231007_185542435.jpg   PXL_20231007_185512295.jpg   PXL_20231007_190252052.jpg  
Old 10-17-2023, 11:07 AM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Thanks for posting those photos. They're worth their weight in gold for anyone else needing to know what's there.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 03:45 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape 5.0
I am currently having this exact same issue. Can you update me on the status of your issue?
Gumpdad714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 03:50 PM   #52

I am currently having this exact same issue. Can you update me on the status of your issue? Escape has not helped. This is a brand new, never used trailer. Water is coming through the walls from under the floor. It's maddening.
Old 11-15-2023, 03:53 PM   #53

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpdad714 View Post
I am currently having this exact same issue. Can you update me on the status of your issue?
Just a tip - It is best to quote who you are asking because on longer threads it is not always assumed to be the original poster. Sometimes a private message (PM) is needed to engage with specific individuals if they don't respond in the thread. It is nice when they come back to update a thread if new, relevant information can be added for the benefit of others.
Old 11-15-2023, 04:08 PM   #54

Will do. Thank you.
Old 11-15-2023, 06:01 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpdad714 View Post

This was a normal failure of the 2019 models. It was a result of the ABS pipe connections ETI was using when combined with a lack of rubber flex couplings the 1.5" threaded pipe fittings would shear off right at the threaded outlet of the gray tank. This will leave about 1/2 - 3/4" inch of the pipes threaded portion still in the gray tank outlet.

The gray tank vent in an E19 comes through the floor directly behind the toilet. I'm not 100% certain where it comes up in your 5.0. If the gray tank vent breaks off in the manner described above then the broken gray tank vent will become the lowest overflow point in the system. If the tank gets overfilled at any time the excess will come flowing out of the broken vent fitting and this happens well before it begins coming up into the shower pan.

The problem is that those people with spray foam have no good way for the water coming out of this vent to drain away so it back flows up onto the floor of the trailer. The folks without spray foam aren't a lot better off. This is because the gray tank is pressed so tightly against the floor that even without spray foam and depending on the flow rate of the water filling the tank, I believe its possible to still wind up with water backflowing up onto the floor. Its just less likely without spray foam.

The reason for the breakage is either stress due to vibration or if the hole is off center and the gray tank shifts in its positioning. Once the tank shifts it can allow the 1.5" vent fitting coming out the top to come into contact with the floor and then a great deal of side stress will be placed on the fitting. This is what happened with our gray tank vent. The gray tank had shifted rearward to where the 1.5" vent fitting was hard up against the side of the hole in the floor. This caused the vent fitting to shear off flush with the gray tank due to normal movement while traveling.

It was too hard to get into the small access hole I cut to try and open up the hole in the floor. How I got around this is to put a 1.5" to 1.25" reducer in the gray vent hole and then used a 1.25" threaded street ell to go into a flex coupling. Dropping to a smaller 1.25" fitting out of the gray tank vent gave me a good gap between the fitting and the floor. My gray tank is now sitting against the rear stop which is a piece of angle iron under the trailer if I remember correctly so I do not have to worry about the gray tank moving any further rearward and having the fitting hit the edge of the hole in the floor again.

I read through your other thread where you described your problem on your 5.0 and it does sound like the gray tank vent fitting may have sheared off on you. The only way to know is to get into the location that they have the vent pipe routed through the floor and check it. Others with a 5.0 will have to guide you as to where that is at.

Good luck and let others know what you end up finding and what the resolution is. You may ultimately help someone else out with your findings.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:29 PM   #56
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
This was a normal failure of the 2019 models.
Oh great! Something to look forward to on our 2019. . .
Old 11-15-2023, 08:34 PM   #57

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Oh great! Something to look forward to on our 2019. . .
We had all four connection points to the grey tank crack and leak. From the discharge valve, vent tube, shower drain and kitchen sink drain. They didn't all go at once, but within a year all 4 were leaking.

I took it to a shop and they dropped the tank. Fortunately they didn't have to redo the connection points into the tanks, so no heat welding required. For all four connections they added a piece of flex hose and then reinstalled everything. Took just over 1 day and cost me $1300 CAD

Hopefully that will be the end of that.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:14 PM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
We had all four connection points to the grey tank crack and leak. From the discharge valve, vent tube, shower drain and kitchen sink drain. They didn't all go at once, but within a year all 4 were leaking.

I took it to a shop and they dropped the tank. Fortunately they didn't have to redo the connection points into the tanks, so no heat welding required. For all four connections they added a piece of flex hose and then reinstalled everything. Took just over 1 day and cost me $1300 CAD

Hopefully that will be the end of that.
Egad! That's two E19s. Any 21Cs? Maybe our grey tank is in a safer location?
Old 11-16-2023, 07:02 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Egad! That's two E19s. Any 21Cs? Maybe our grey tank is in a safer location?

3 of the 4 in our trailer were broken. Two were fully broken and the shower drain broke while I was hacksawing the pipe off. It had been cracked for some time based on the buildup in the cracked section, but it had not been leaking.

Yes, 21C's are affected too. The lack of a flex coupling on the vent/drain pipes leaves them vulnerable to this issue. You very likely have at least one that is cracked and just hasn't separated yet. The gray vent will not show up unless you fill the tank to the top. The way the broken gray vent pipe made itself known to me was by the odors making it into the trailer.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:40 AM   #60

Trailer: 2022 E19
So at some point did Escape start installing the flex coupling on all connections?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote