Leaking emergency exit windwow - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Leaking emergency exit windwow

Hi all,

We picked our brand new 5.0 two weeks ago, and are generally very happy with it. Especially the solar panels system which kept our batteries above 90% charged through a rainy week in Vernon BC!

Unfortunately, all that rain showed us a problem with the exit window. It does not seal correctly on the top hinged side, and dripped water inside the trailer. We emailed Tammy about the problem and after consulting Rease, advised us to buy a tube of sealant and apply it to the top of the window.

Has anybody had similar issues? Is this considered a waranty issue? I don' t want to be a pain, but it seems more like faulty equipment than regular maintenance. I' m not sure I' m comfortable trying to fix this myself.

What do you think?

Sharon.
shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Re: Leaking emergency exit windwow

Hi, Ours doesn't leak but the first time we opened it the seal came with the glass. I showed it to Reace at the rally and he said he would replace the seal next time we drive by the shop. I know it's got to be done before winter that's for sure..
Take a look and see if the seal is all messed up and folded over you may just need a new seal.

Mike
Old 06-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #3

Hi Mike,

The seal looks to me to have already been fixed by someone, but I am hardly am expert! It has some hard clear goop over the hinges. Maybe this is how they are made?

Sharon
Old 06-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrncnddck

Unfortunately, all that rain showed us a problem with the exit window. It does not seal correctly on the top hinged side, and dripped water inside the trailer. We emailed Tammy about the problem and after consulting Rease, advised us to buy a tube of sealant and apply it to the top of the window.
Hi Sharon

I had the same problem with my 5.0 window, water would drip down from the top of the window frame onto the inside screen. If you open the window and look at the top of the opening part of the frame you will see that the frame is riveted together with a piece of aluminum. Escape seals this join before the trailers leave the factory but sometimes a small area might get missed. Buy some Proflex or Marine Goop and rub a small amount over this area on the inside only. If you apply to the outside then it will stick to the seal; which you don't want!! According to Paul at the factory these windows are the best that you can buy but they still have to seal this area to prevent leaks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog

Hi, Ours doesn't leak but the first time we opened it the seal came with the glass. I showed it to Reace at the rally and he said he would replace the seal next time we drive by the shop. I know it's got to be done before winter that's for sure..
Take a look and see if the seal is all messed up and folded over you may just need a new seal.

Mike
I had the same problem with my first two seals. And now I see that the third one is starting to lift. It seems that the way the window is designed water pools at the bottom of the window frame on the outside. From what I can make out this water compromises the seal after time and it lifts. When you open and close the window the seal folds back on itself and then sticks to the opening part of the window. I'm thinking of glueing mine down with some Marine Goop when we get some dry weather ............. IF we get some dry weather and see if that works.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #5

Hi Barry,

That sounds exactly like what's happening to us!

So, do I apply it to the seal while the window is open, and then wait for it to dry before closing it again? Otherwise it would seal the window shut, wouldn't it?

Sharon.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #6

I was thinking of using bath caulking, the water base stuff cleans up easy and when it drys over night is as good as most silicon. Bath caulking is available in different colors but I don't think black is one of them.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I'm trying to get a picture of this.

Are you guys opening your emergency window ( the entire thing ) for ventilation? I've only ever opened the sliding part of the window. I was saving the rest for an emergency.

I've not had a problem.

baglo
Old 06-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #8

The new trailers don't have sliders on the "E" windows. The whole window pushes out at the bottom about 8" hence the seal issue. The glue side of the seal folds over and sticks to the frame. And when the window is opened for cross ventilation the seal comes with it.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #9

The first time I opened the window in the rain a fair bit of water poured through the screen from the top onto the bed. My solution is a piece of stainless attached with double-sided tape. Problem solved. This is a great window to be able to open if it's raining. The seal however is another issue. It's all rolled up and works well at keeping the window closed!!! I'll have to find something better.
Attached Thumbnails
E Window.jpg  

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

I installed these on my other Egg and it helped to keep surface water away
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...system-10/1782
Attached Files
File Type: webloc 15642A.JPG.webloc (403 Bytes, 54 views)
Old 07-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA

Have any of you replaced the gasket yourself? My window does not leak yet, but the gasket hangs out in a couple of places where it stuck to the frame and stretched out. I will be at Bandon (San Francisco tonight), but I won't have time to drive up to the factory after we leave. It is something I don't mind doing it myself, but I'm not sure what to get.

Dick
Old 07-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA

I replaced the gasket myself ..... it's an easy job. I just picked some up from the factory as I'm only 1/2 hour away. Maybe you could contact Escape and get Reace to bring you some down to the rally in Bandon.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B

This has happened to us, too. So we should ask Reace for a new gasket??

medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #14

Hi ....we have a 17b and have the same problem. The water pools in the bottom of the window and then overflows, resulting in a wet bed. Couldn't find any holes in ours so for a quick fix we taped up the window with plastic.....sure doesn't look good but has kept us dry till can find the problem. ..... and we open the window the sliding way.
littleredtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
I drilled three weep holes spaced evenly in the bottom of our tip out emergency window. They are drilled down at an angle so they are below the level of the bottom of the gasket. They seem to work well. Also, when the sun comes out these allow that portion to dry out. Before drilling even after several days there was still water and gunk in the bottom of the trim. After drilling the aluminum showed so I touched them up with Rustoleum black enamel. Other than being round instead of the standard oblong, they are hardly noticeable. Still don't understand why Hehr didn't put weep holes in this window.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #16

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Tim,

What size drill bit did you use to drill those holes? And, how far below the bottom of the "trough" did you start?

So far, we haven't had any issues with our window. However, when we were washing it on our return from Osoyoos, I noticed the gasket has started to peel off at the bottom. So, it's only a matter of time.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #17

Used my caliper depth gauge to determine depth of trim. Transferred that to the outside and drilled a small pilot hole just below that mark. Then enlarged to a final size of 1/8 inch at an upward angle. Put one hole in the middle and one each about 6 inches from the curve on each side. Rained yesterday in Longview and trim is dry today. It appears to me that standing water in contact with the adhesive on the trim weakens it over time and the trim begins to pull away opening and closing the window. Oh, I also lubricated the gasket material with the 303 protectant to prevent it from "pulling" every time the window is opened or closed.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Did anyone come up with a solution to this problem? I have had the gasket replaced twice and it has again pulled away from the window. I hate to keep bugging Reace about this since the factory replacement has not worked twice and I don't expect any better results a third time. I could take it to Camping World, but they will charge me >$50 just to look at it and still not guarantee the result. I looked at Tim's idea, but I am not that confident about drilling holes in the trailer.

Dick
Old 04-30-2014, 06:42 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
I looked at Tim's idea, but I am not that confident about drilling holes in the trailer.

Dick
You don't drill holes in the trailer, they're in the window frame just like the stock weep holes... only round.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
Did anyone come up with a solution to this problem? I have had the gasket replaced twice and it has again pulled away from the window. I hate to keep bugging Reace about this since the factory replacement has not worked twice and I don't expect any better results a third time. I could take it to Camping World, but they will charge me >$50 just to look at it and still not guarantee the result. I looked at Tim's idea, but I am not that confident about drilling holes in the trailer.

Dick
Mine continues to work great. Where I had some pulling I resealed with a silicone gasket adhesive available at auto parts store. It is very sticky and if allowed to completely cure before closing the window has reattached the gasket. I continue to believe that it is important to lubricate the gasket and get the water out of there. Trailer sat outside all winter in Washington rain and gasket is still good. The weep holes are important to let the water out.