leaky head vent! RRRR! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
leaky head vent! RRRR!

The roof vent in our head has one screw without enough caulk covering it and it LEAKS!!!! It leaks across the sealed bathroom head liner, down the wall into the area below the propane sniffer, into the storage area under the fridge. Took a while to figure that one out. Only leaked enough to see when it poured. we are in Florida and it's monsoon season! I climbed topside and found a tiny gap in the caulking!

What kind of sealant am I looking for to recover the screw head? I'd use 3M 5200 if I was home and I have a bunch. Plenty of RV shops around.

otherwise we LOVE our Escape BUT a leaky roof? ouch!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Reace sent me ProflexRV by Geocel for different issue. It says on it for use on roofs.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Maintenance is required. I'd like lessons in what to look for since it doesn't take much for water to find a way.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I wish they built them like they build automobiles,They cost as much.
Slickheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #5

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
leaky

I'm glad my Escape is built better than a VW, Toyota or most others. I hope my ignition switch works, air bags work when they are suppose to, etc, etc.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickheadhunter View Post
I wish they built them like they build automobiles,They cost as much.
I'm guessing you take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance?
Old 10-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #7

I do all the maintainence which includes oil and filter change, rotating the tires, brakes when needed. Then the cooling fluid changed when needed as well as spark plugs when needed. What it doesn't ever need is maintenance to keep it from leaking. I personally have never had a vehicle thT leaked water into the interior.wear items always need to be maintained! I wish they could come up with a design to flash all the windows and roof vents! I have some ideas for the roof vents, but would require the roof vent manufacturers to change the way they make there vents
Old 10-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #8

You obviously never had a Chrysler Neon.
It was the company car, so not my problem that the trunk ( full of camera equipment ) and the rear foot wells filled with water.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
thanks Rossue. I'll look for it. yeah this leak only leaks when it really rains hard as the water has to get deep enough to climb up on the lip and through the screw hole. The sealant was missing just a tiny corner of the screw. worse thing was it got a cardboard box in the storage area wet and then attracted a boatload of tiny ants. How do folks down here deal with bugs ants, mofosquitos, gnats, fruit flies...... not to mention the deer and horse flies.

heading north in a month. whew....

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
It really is apples & oranges comparing RV's to cars, however I believe that there could be a better class throughout & that people would be willing to pay for an enhanced line of Escape trailers. Consumer Behavior 101: cost is not the most important factor in a consumer's decision to buy, but rather value is". Diff'rnt stroke/folks.

The big question is what would they call the enhanced lineup with better appliances, better wheel bearings, better no-adjust brakes, and a better quality fiberglass technique? The Jasper/Vancouver/Chilliwack/Wack/West Edmonton Mall/or my favorite: Mount Tzouhalem
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:05 PM   #11

Never owned a Chrysler vehicle, ford,Chevy,vw,Toyota and Nissan. No leaks in 35 years, perhaps I was just lucky.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
It really is apples & oranges comparing RV's to cars, however I believe that there could be a better class throughout & that people would be willing to pay for an enhanced line of Escape trailers. Consumer Behavior 101: cost is not the most important factor in a consumer's decision to buy, but rather value is". Diff'rnt stroke/folks.

The big question is what would they call the enhanced lineup with better appliances, better wheel bearings, better no-adjust brakes, and a better quality fiberglass technique? The Jasper/Vancouver/Chilliwack/Wack/West Edmonton Mall/or my favorite: Mount Tzouhalem
The number one thing I would be willing to pay more for would be to flash any hole they cut into the outside wall! The main problem would not be coming up with a way to flash all these things, but the way the manufacturers of all the items would have to change the way they make them.
For instance, the roof vent or maxx fan hole could have a flanged fiberglass lip fiberglass end over the hole for the vent. But the maxx fan or vent would have to be retrofitted to slide over the lip that was fiberglass end over the hole in the trailer.

A picture might explain it better than my limited ability to do so.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #13

Flashing would be a terrific way to collect and direct water into the trailer while traveling at 60 mph in the rain.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #14

Trailer: ""
My go-to for emergency repairs is Marine Goop.
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Flashing would be a terrific way to collect and direct water into the trailer while traveling at 60 mph in the rain.
Well I guess there's no way to improve on something that hasn't changed in forever.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #16

Go for it.
Let us know how it works for you.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:38 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape
Of course, it is just another maintenance issue ! The default response. While you are using caulk on the roof, check the refer vent screws.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Of course, it is just another maintenance issue ! The default response.
That's what I was thinking.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
I am getting really tired of seeing people who express any disappointments or annoyances with quality control issues being jumped all over by a few members here. People shouldn't have to endure snarky comments, feel intimidated, or blamed for their "lack of maintenance" when they share their frustration. I have a 2007 17B that I love dearly, but the reality is that in the last few years, there has been an increase in quality control issues in the newer trailers. Nothing too big, but certainly nothing I had to deal with. It's not heresy to say that ETI, as wonderful as they are, may be experiencing growing pains with their tremendous growth, and I am glad that they are stepping back on order taking. I want everyone to love their trailer as much as I do.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #20

Trailer: ""
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
I am getting really tired of seeing people who express any disappointments or annoyances with quality control issues being jumped all over by a few members here. People shouldn't have to endure snarky comments, feel intimidated, or blamed for their "lack of maintenance" when they share their frustration. I have a 2007 17B that I love dearly, but the reality is that in the last few years, there has been an increase in quality control issues. Nothing too big, but certainly nothing I had to deal with. It's not heresy to say that ETI, as wonderful as they are, may be experiencing growing pains with their tremendous growth, and I am glad that they are stepping back on order taking. I want everyone to love their trailer as much as I do.
There are too many fan boys here. ETI arbitrarily changed my Build Date sign off and silently dropped the shared delivery cost option. Not a fan boy.
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote