Leaky water connections - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2020, 09:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Leaky water connections

I am sick of crappy leaky water connections. Does anyone make a setup for running from the campground faucet TO the E21 that does not leak all over ?? Why can’t we get snap connections like used in propane tanks ??0
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
I am sick of crappy leaky water connections. Does anyone make a setup for running from the campground faucet TO the E21 that does not leak all over ?? Why can’t we get snap connections like used in propane tanks ??0
You can and I did. The only thing I can't control is the hose bib. Faucet handle needing repacking, etc. Seems like the regulator gets a new washer every time I hook up too. Glad they're cheap.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post302790
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:21 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you go this route, which is what I use at home, get the all brass, the plastic ones leak in a short while. On the ones with rubber grips, the rubber breaks loose from the brass so you can no longer get them loose or thight.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:56 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I carry a bunch of these, stops leaks immediately
Attached Thumbnails
51Hq9yu74hL._AC_UL640_QL65_.jpg  
Old 06-20-2020, 07:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
First, I don’t really care as long as the leak is not inside my trailer. And the problem you describe is not confined to the E21 only!

I use a coiled blue drinking water rated hose that has two snap on fittings, one at either end. Available at Camping World for $30+. But as Donna Has stated, no matter what yo do you have no control over the condition of the campground’s supply spigot.

As to hose washers, Lee Valley Tools (a Canadian company which is set up to do mail order business in the US) sells silicon rubber hose washers. They are yellow in color. I have found them to stay flexible and consequently less likely to leak for a much longer time than the hose washers sold in Walmart, Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
yup

Well..I got do something..we had "water nazis" stop and caution us at 2 different CGs on our way home from AZ, after picking up the new E21 last week..grrr, leaks!! One of the biggest areas is the plastic threads ON THE CAMCO BLUE FILTER..I GUESS I'LL TREY SOME TEFLON TAPE THERE.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The hose bibs at many campgrounds have damaged threads or the washer face is also damaged and it doesn’t matter if your trailer hose or filter is brand new or the washers are brand new they still leak
I just turn the campgrounds water valve off when we are not using water or fill my onboard tank and use my trailer’s pump.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Well..I got do something..we had "water nazis" stop and caution us at 2 different CGs on our way home from AZ, after picking up the new E21 last week..grrr, leaks!! One of the biggest areas is the plastic threads ON THE CAMCO BLUE FILTER..I GUESS I'LL TREY SOME TEFLON TAPE THERE.
Honestly, unless they are employees of the campground, I would simply tell them “Thank you for your concern.” If you walk around almost any campground and look at water connections, you will almost always see several of them leaking. Or you could take a different tact and say “I guess I am hooking it up incorrectly. Perhaps you can show me how to stop it from leaking.” In they take you up on it and fail, which they most likely will, then you can comment “Oh well, I guess it’s not leaking because of something I did wrong.” The threads on a new Camco filter should seal very well with a hose fitting that hasn’t been damaged and doesn’t have a worn out washer.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Two washers
Teflon Tape
Will limit Drips
In the landscape ( Should keep leaks to a minimum too)
Burma Shave
Iowa Dave
Old 06-21-2020, 06:48 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
WE have not used a blue filter in maybe 5-6 years. We always fill our fresh from either home or Canada ( their water is the best) we bring 5 g for the 2 dogs and 2 g in the refer. Otherwise cg water is used for flushing and washing dishes. So try eliminating the blue filter and see if it does not help with the leaks.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
The threads on a new Camco filter should seal very well with a hose fitting that hasn’t been damaged and doesn’t have a worn out washer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Two washers
Teflon Tape
Will limit Drips...
Which Camco filter? They're all blue. Some have garden hose fittings, but some have only pipe thread ports into which adapters need to be installed, and the ones with garden hose fittings probably have adapters in pipe thread ports.

Washers seal garden hose connections; thread tape or dope is needed to seal tapered pipe connections, and is used only for those threads.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Jim
Like a lot of Campers I carry a bag of washers and the ones I carry are the combo bag with both the flat washers and the O ring style. On some hose bibs the threads are so long that the collar of the hose coupler “bottoms out” before it really gets sealed tight. So a double flat washer often gets a seal before then coupler interferes. I use Teflon tape on pipe threads but not when a machined face like when propane fittings are in play. Lots of forest Service faucets have a smooth not threaded spout so threaded hookups are not possible. In fact neither are Water bandit adapters. I was transported into another world and time when a campground concessionaire named Eva Braun commanded “Achtung Schweinhund, water thief is Verboten” in Colorado last year. She looked good for 125 or better years old.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-21-2020, 10:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Which Camco filter? They're all blue. Some have garden hose fittings, but some have only pipe thread ports into which adapters need to be installed, and the ones with garden hose fittings probably have adapters in pipe thread ports.

Washers seal garden hose connections; thread tape or dope is needed to seal tapered pipe connections, and is used only for those threads.
Brian, I would most likely suspect the one the OP has is the one with garden hose fittings, #40045. Those are the ones sold in Walmart ($20 something for two) or Camping World. I would guess that you know Camco typically manufactures inexpensive low end camping accessories, some of which have questionable utility/purpose and quality. These filters have activated charcoal and may remove chlorine taste but not much else. And they likely trap large grain sediments (sand) if present in the water which is possibly the best benefit they provide. If Camco does make filters with pipe thread ports, they are not commonly/typically sold at RV supply outlets. The ones readily found with garden hose fittings do not have adapters. The male and female threads are molded into the one-piece outer plastic case. Camco recommends they be replaced at relatively short intervals. They are really cheap throw-away items. I do use them for sediment removal because I worked with water supply utilities for 22+ years in Florida and have seen how much sediment and crud can find its way into supply lines, and I don’t want any of it getting into my trailer’s plumbing lines. I’ve never had one leak at either end (as long as there is an undamaged washer in the female end). The plastic threads are soft enough to really tighten onto hose fittings, and this probably is conducive to a tight fit.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:53 AM   #14

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Rancho Sedona rv park

The park has a number of rules i.e. no fires, no wasting of water i.e. leaks and other rules that are set by the city because the city would like something other than an RV park in that spot to raise more tax income. We stay there quite often and find the rules easy to comply with and appreciate a CG so close to the town.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Yes, Jack is dead on with Rancho Sedona. We held one of the Scamp Camps there for a number of years. The city is doing everything they can to run them out because it is prime location. The rules are easy enough except they charge fees for each kid and each dog which frustrates some.
Great spot for a stay to see Sedona and hate to see anyone miss it for some silliness. It is pricey, but relatively speaking, it is very cheap for heart of Sedona.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote