Li switch on the converter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2023, 08:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Li switch on the converter

Just checking before I switch it, I have the ETI supplied lithium batteries yet I believe the switch on the converter is in the wrong position. Just wanted to confirm before switching. It's the little switch above the lug and it seems to me it's set to lead acid rather than lithium.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20230518_124938742.jpg  
Jeremy Kessenich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 10:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Switch it to "ON" and see if the red light next to the "ON" position comes on. If it comes on then it is in Lithium mode.

If Escape didn't include the manual, you can download your specific Operator's Manual from WFCO to check for the Lithium setting.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 06:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Well could be set wrong. I have 6V wet cells, but mine came set to Li.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
All the recently produced WFCO’s - the ones that end in -ad are auto detect. That’s what came in our 2022. You can check the auto detect feature if you have an amp meter on or in the battery.

Here’s how they are programmed: When the power converter is first connected to incoming AC, it starts a test of how quickly the battery can charge. If the battery can accept over 20 amps rate for 30 seconds ( it might be 40 seconds, but you’ll see) the converter assumes it’s lithium, and cranks up the voltage and current to a 55amp rate.

Only a lithium battery has a low enough impedance to accept a constant input greater than 20 amps for more than a short period of time, but, I found that the ETI installed wiring between the converter and battery was too long, so it would raise the impedance enough to where the auto detect would think it was a lead acid battery and charge it at a lower rate. Once I relocated the battery switch and removed 2/3s of the wire, I got the auto detect to virtually always discover that it’s connected to a lithium battery.

If you have an ETI installed WFCO converter, I’d check the part number. If it ends in an -ad, the switch is irrelevant. But you might need to do some rewiring for it to actually run in lithium mode….
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 08:56 AM   #5

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Apparently they have changed models since last year
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20230519_135001922.jpg  
Jeremy Kessenich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 11:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
I have the WF-8955PEC in my 2021 Escape. The maunual indicated it will work for lead, AGM, or Li batteries. Is it really as simple as removing my lead acid battery and replacing with a Li? Thanks!
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 01:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
mfschu, I am working on the details of a conversion from 2- 6V LA batteries to Lithium myself. If you have a WF-8955PEC converter like I do in our 2019 E-21, I do not think that is suitable for charging Li batteries as is. The part just arrived so I haven't done it yet, but you can swap out the main board assembly in the converter with the Wildkat 4655 MBA. This MBA has a jumper which you can use to set for LA or Lithium batteries. This enables proper charging of Li batteries when connected to shore power. Contact Randy at Bestconverter.com 888 828-1893 for more info.

The other consideration is the charging of Li batteries when not connected to shore power as the Gopower PWM 30 charge controller (what we have and you will have if you have the inverter) should be replaced with an MPPT charger.

So, the simple answer to your question is that no, it is not so simple as just installing a Li battery.
Chama
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 08:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Thanks Chama! I don't have any solar yet and no inverter either. Good luck with installing your Wildkat 4655!
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote