Lift kit for Escape 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2016, 09:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Lift kit for Escape 21

I noticed that the insulating foam on our 2015 Escape 21 reduces the clearance an inch or two. Reace tells me that in the past year Dexter made lift kits available for the 21. It is $500 as an add on, $300 during the trailer's construction. I plan on going for it. I know I will have to adjust our hitch. I looked at the added height for the entrance step and believe all will be fine for us. Has anyone added this option to their 21 and able to give advice on whether towing was affected?

Bob K

SSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
I had the lift kit installed during the build, so I don't have any comparison, but I tow without a WDH and could not ask for better towing performance.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:28 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19'
Does anybody have the actual figures on ground clearance on a 19, and by how much it would be increased with the high lift axle?
curru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #4

I'm new to this forum posting, so not sure if my edit to the previous post came through. But I had meant to ask about the ground clearance info for the 19, since I have decided to get that instead of the 17.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #5

Thanks, Craig. It's good to hear. I am having the kit installed at ETI this next Monday.

Bob K

Old 04-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by curru View Post
Does anybody have the actual figures on ground clearance on a 19, and by how much it would be increased with the high lift axle?
The increase in height due to the Dexter Axle lift kit for the Torflex #10 (the model used by Escape) is 2-5/8".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
I noticed that the insulating foam on our 2015 Escape 21 reduces the clearance an inch or two. Reace tells me that in the past year Dexter made lift kits available for the 21. It is $500 as an add on, $300 during the trailer's construction. I plan on going for it. I know I will have to adjust our hitch. I looked at the added height for the entrance step and believe all will be fine for us. Has anyone added this option to their 21 and able to give advice on whether towing was affected?

Bob K

Hi Bob,

We've also been wrestling with this option for our 21 in production.

Pros if we don't get it : we don't break our(or in-laws) ankles, less wind resistance, lower center of gravity

Cons if we don't get it : Getting impaled somewhere

We also will have the underside insulating foam, and with a serious breakover angle at the curb when coming in off the street into our driveway.

Do you, by any chance, have the 21 clearance with the underside insulation ?

Also, thinking about a dry run with a 21 ft board here(so I don't impale the trailer at the top of the driveway on its first arrival), so would also need the distance from the trailer hitch to the trailer axles.

Any info. would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Attached Images

Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The increase in height due to the Dexter Axle lift kit for the Torflex #10 (the model used by Escape) is 2-5/8".
Hmm, that might be something to consider, seeing as how I'm planning to go to off the beaten path kind of places.
Thanks for the info!
Old 04-15-2016, 10:18 PM   #9

Hi Bill,

I went outside and measured the clearance in a few places. Unfortunately the gravel driveway is a bit uneven, so the measurements may be a bit off. I made sure the trailer was level before doing the measurements, because if you are towing with the trailer a bit off level the clearance on one end or the other could be worse.

As best as I could see, there are a number of points where the clearance between the insulation and the ground is about 8 inches. Also, the front jacks looked to have only 7 inches clearance. Our previous stick trailer had much higher clearance, so I feel that the lift kit is necessary for us. We like to go fishing on lakes up logging and forestry service roads, where decent clearance is essential. The added 2 5/8 inches from the lift kit should help.

I don't regret the foam insulation because I'm convinced it keeps the floor more comfortable and helps keep the heat in. Camped in Yellowstone last September during a snow fall, we found the trailer very comfortable. My wife's only complaint about the cold was when I brought a snowball into bed to let her experience the weather first hand (picked up on my middle of the night trip to the park facilities).

Bob K
Old 04-16-2016, 07:00 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I wonder if longer stabilizers are installed, I know sometimes the rear is so high that I have to add extra blocks, due to the slope in the camping spot. Making that space even larger would more or less make the rear ones useless in some spots.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:51 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I wonder if longer stabilizers are installed, I know sometimes the rear is so high that I have to add extra blocks, due to the slope in the camping spot. Making that space even larger would more or less make the rear ones useless in some spots.

As far as I know, the stabilizers are the same ones for lifted trailers. I've seen some mention of adding blocks to the pads so they reach better.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:55 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have the lift and need four or five Lynx blocks under the stabilizer pads for them to be properly deployed.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
As far as I know, the stabilizers are the same ones for lifted trailers. I've seen some mention of adding blocks to the pads so they reach better.
That may defeat the purpose of having a high lift axle, if your stabilizers are now lower?
Old 04-16-2016, 01:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That may defeat the purpose of having a high lift axle, if your stabilizers are now lower?
The clearance issue for most people is in angles - departure and approach; for example, dragging the bumper in a dip such as entering a driveway. That means that the further you go from the wheels, the more clearance you need. Neither pair of stabilizer jacks are at the extreme end of the trailer, so they can be extended somewhat without affecting departure and approach angle clearance.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:52 PM   #15

Quote:
The clearance issue for most people is in angles - departure and approach; for example, dragging the bumper in a dip such as entering a driveway. .
Which makes me wonder how much value there is in the high-lift axle on a longer trailer like the 21'.
It has value on my 17'.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Which makes me wonder how much value there is in the high-lift axle on a longer trailer like the 21'.
It has value on my 17'.
Isn't it exactly the other way around?
The longer the trailer, the greater the problem with departure angle. Yes, the 21' is taller anyway, but it needs to be because it is longer. The stock 17' height works for most people, but some need the high-lift; similarly, the stock 21' works for most people, but some might need the high-lift.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #17

I'm thinking if the lift is 2.5 inches, same for 17 and 21, then the longer the trailer the less effective. I think the issue is the distance from the axle to the rear bumper and from the axle to the hitch.
I think I got a 'B' in geometry though.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:15 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Isn't it exactly the other way around?
The longer the trailer, the greater the problem with departure angle. Yes, the 21' is taller anyway, but it needs to be because it is longer. The stock 17' height works for most people, but some need the high-lift; similarly, the stock 21' works for most people, but some might need the high-lift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm thinking if the lift is 2.5 inches, same for 17 and 21, then the longer the trailer the less effective. I think the issue is the distance from the axle to the rear bumper and from the axle to the hitch.
I think I got a 'B' in geometry though.
I think the longer the trailer is, then the more need for the lift due to the departure angle. But, the longer the trailer, the less effective the lift. Just two views of the same subject, and both are correct.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I think the longer the trailer is, then the more need for the lift due to the departure angle. But, the longer the trailer, the less effective the lift. Just two views of the same subject, and both are correct.
I agree, entirely.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #20

Trailer: pondering.....
can anybody post a pic of the bolt-on lift kit option at the axle/frame for their trailer? assume its similar for 17,19, or 21...thanks
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote