Light fixtures in second gen Escapes - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 19'
Light fixtures in second gen Escapes

How does one replace the LED units in the light fixtures in the newer Escapes? I use the light over my sink a lot and it has started to flicker, which is very annoying. I'd like to switch it out with one from the lights I don't use much, before actually getting new ones. But I'm not sure how to remove the unit. Has anybody taken those out/replaced them? Any info would be much appreciated!
curru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by curru View Post
How does one replace the LED units in the light fixtures in the newer Escapes? I use the light over my sink a lot and it has started to flicker, which is very annoying. I'd like to switch it out with one from the lights I don't use much, before actually getting new ones. But I'm not sure how to remove the unit. Has anybody taken those out/replaced them? Any info would be much appreciated!
Someone can correct me, but I think you have to change the whole light fixture as the LED's are not replaceable unless you are able to snip out the old and solder in new LED's.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:14 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Ursula, Fred posted this pic of a new fixture on a thread a few weeks ago. I would check the two wires on the LED to make sure they are soldered correctly and there are no frayed or broken wires. If you know how to use a soldering iron, it shouldn't take more than a couple drops of solder - if any - to correct the problem. The only other way to fix it is to replace the fixture. I much prefer the older fixtures with replacable wedge connector bulbs, but there it is.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:25 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd suggest you replace the fixture with one that has a socket and replaceable bulb, that way you will only need to perform this change once. Another option is replacing the method of 12v wire connection to slip terminals vs compression connections.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:38 AM   #5

Thanks for your suggestion. Replacing the whole fixture seems like a real pain. I took off the little panel at the switch end. It looks like those black wires connect into slots under there. I will see if they pull off, nothing to loose since at this point the light is unusable, it flashes on and off. The wire connections all look intact. I have contacted ETI and sent them pictures, so hope to hear back from them soon.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
It’s fairly easy to replace a whole fixture if you have a wire crimper and appropriate crimps. Replacing the LED’s themselves is a different matter involving solder. I would suspect they will send you a new unit to just swap out. It’s pretty straight forward. As long as you have a crimper. I bet they’d include the same crimps that they use as well, if you ask for them.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:19 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Escape has changed their lights over the years, the early ones were not led and were which and put off heat. then they switched to led bulbs, but the fixture remained the same. These new style lights are about 50% thinner than the old style and the wire connection access is under that little box by the switch with the wires all pushed up inside the cabinet floor. Each replacement will shorten the wire available as you have to cut the old connection.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:34 AM   #8

Light fixtures in second gen Escapes

Ursula, if you haven’t actually unscrewed the fixture from the cabinet yet then you haven’t ruled out a loose crimp between the fixture and the house wiring. Forget the little plastic door, it’s just a passage from back of light to the LED on front. Just remove the four Robertson screws that hold the light onto the cabinet and all will be clear. Pull gently on each crimped connection, and if either comes apart, that is likely your culprit. If needed, you can probably remove crimps without cutting and shortening the wiring (and also requiring restripping) by squeezing the crimps on an axis perpendicular to the axis they were crimped on, using a pair of needle nose pliers. That will usually open them up just enough that you can slip the wires out. You will need to replace with new, correctly sized crimps though as they’re not reusable once removed.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
If it is not the solder connection, removing and checking the crimped connection as others mentioned is the next step. If a gentle tug does not pull the connection apart it is likely good. If it comes apart, you could easily remove the connector from both sides, strip and either recrimp (not easy on the road without the crimper and crimps though) or just twist the wires together and use a wire nut on them until you get home or somewhere to do a permanent fix. If at a campground I would inquire around, as I bet there is someone there with the knowledge and capability, who is willing to do the fix for you. I certainly would be happy to if I was around. If the quick fix still leaves the fixture flickering, there could be something wrong with the light itself. I be Escape would send you a replacement out quickly.

I had considered carrying crimp connectors and a crimper in my tool kit, but opted for a few smaller wire nuts for emergency use, none of which has been used yet, but you never know.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
If it is a consistent flicker it is likely cheap electronic driver components on the bulb that are faulty. Personally I would just replace the whole fixture and be done with it. Even though LED's shouldn't need replacement I'm not a huge fan of a fixture where you can't easily replace a bulb. I would consider alternatives.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:56 AM   #11

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Led

Sometimes with LED light they will flicker if the ground gets corroded maybe to much moisture from cooking got in the light causing rust corrosion ? I had this happen to a boat trailer with LED's
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:14 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
Sometimes with LED light they will flicker if the ground gets corroded maybe to much moisture from cooking got in the light causing rust corrosion ? I had this happen to a boat trailer with LED's
We have the led's lights which we can replace the bulb. Many times the lights will flicker . We have to remove the led and clean the contacts and reinstall and we will be good for awhile . It gets lights can be a pain but like that they don't use a lot of battery power .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #13

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I contacted ETI and they will send me a new light (under warranty). The present one just plain failed. I was assured that this is a rare occurrence, that it should have lasted many years. It is too bad that these new lights don't have replaceable bulbs.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by curru View Post
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I contacted ETI and they will send me a new light (under warranty). The present one just plain failed. I was assured that this is a rare occurrence, that it should have lasted many years. It is too bad that these new lights don't have replaceable bulbs.

Well, they *do* have replaceable bulbs, plus you get all new wiring, case and lens at the same time, fully refreshed!

Glad to hear they’re taking care of you. I would expect no less from ETI.