Lightning strike and my thermostat - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2022, 11:18 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B
Lightning strike and my thermostat

Hi owners,
I have a 2017 17B. Lightning struck the utility pole near my RV and went to ground . Now the AC will not shut off and the thermostat shows a display, but will not respond to touch. I the have the Dometic capacitive touch thermostat for my AC and furnace. If anyone can help with tips on problem solving, removal and replacement of the thermostat, and thermostats you would recommend, then I would be grateful. We are planning a trip in October and I need everything working in my camper. Many thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience.
Christian, Tommie and Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 11:34 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would first disconnect from electric and see what results. the plug back in and watch the results....
Old 07-30-2022, 11:48 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Yes, disconnect ALL electric including shutting off the 12V main switch on the face of a dinette bench.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17B
So, a little update...the night of the strike I did unplug from the shore power and plug in again. No change, meaning AC ran full blast and thermostat showed a display but didn't respond to touch. I checked the breakers and all appeared ok, so wet, cold and tired, I went to bed.
Today I flipped all circuit breakers off and on. After this the system seemed to work, hooray. After letting the AC run for a few hours, the thermostat shows an E4 error. This indicates an open circuit or out of range outdoor temperature sensor. So, I will investigate more tomorrow.
Christian, Tommie and Dad is offline   Reply With Quote