Lithium Battery Exposed to Winter Temps - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2022, 03:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Lithium Battery Exposed to Winter Temps

I have to take my E21 in to Camping World to have the refrigerator replaced (died, under warranty). Since I am in Illinois, overnight temperatures will get down to single digits Fahrenheit this time of year. Hopefully it's only there for a week but it could stretch for a couple of weeks. I have the GoPower lithium 100A batteries, and had removed them for storage. I put one back in so that I could use the power tongue jack, and I assumed they will need power to check out the new refrigerator. Will the battery be ok sitting outside for 1-2 weeks?
Illinois Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
You probably want power in the trailer during transport to run the breakaway (emergency) brakes, should it be needed. But power for the refrigerator could come from the 12 converter when plugged in. Plus the fridge could run from 110VAC and propane. Or from a loaner battery, etc. So, no - your Lithiums could come home with you.

The cold weather Lithium problem is really 2 issues. First; no Lithium battery I know of is rated for charging when below 32F. Some (most?) will cut out and prevent charging when that cold. Second; Lithium batteries - apparently - swell when temps are significantly below 0F and can crack the case. Your GoPower battery manual should tell you the minimum storage temp.

My batteries are in the trailer out in the open - a bit west of Denver. Plenty of near zero nights but nothing below zero so far. The main battery fuse is pulled so no charging or discharging. Fingers crossed that this is sufficient.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Thanks Alan. The GoPower specs say:
Operating charge temp: 32F to 131F, Operating temp discharge: -4F to 131F, and Storage temp: -4F to 104F for 6 months. So it looks like -4F is their lower limit. However, I have a solar panel which feeds into the battery so if the wires are connected there is a small charging current when in sunlight. The main cutoff switch does not kill voltage, but I could disconnect the solar power wires. Kind of curious about this part. Is amperage so low that probably no harm to battery if below 32F. Also there is language in the manual about over and under temperature protection that disconnects from the load if temperature limits are exceeded. Bottom line is I'm going to pull battery unless they tell me unit will be stored indoors or only needed for a few days and forecast looks ok.
Illinois Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium battery, winter