Living with a desk top computer? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #21

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
You might be able to find a kit that will convert the iMac's stand to a standard VESA mount.
The VESA mount looks good and so does using a MacBook hooked to a larger screen, albeit very expensive route. As others have said in the past, I want to purchase my second computer first although the horse has already left the barn on that subject. And there never is a "forever" Mac computer only the "next" Mac computer. Although it has been 32 years between my Mac SE and my iMac with a lot of PCs in between. Three doctoral dissertations were written on that original Mac SE in the first six years of its life, but none of them mine (ex-spouse, a friend and a son-in-law).

Trying to ease into smartphone use and save money while transitioning from a flip phone to an iPhone I ultimately spent more money to arrive at my current iPhone. Penny-wise and pound-foolish I guess. Although I may have gone the same route under the same circumstances.

I'm thinking a MacBook and a large monitor/TV might be in my future. That would provide mobility and a ruggedized computer.

As a sidebar, I remember when the director of my former agency purchased a premium ruggedized laptop computer with Homeland Security grant money, and he was called on the carpet by the bean counters in a very public manner. I was frequently under the very mistaken impression that bean counters were support staff and their purpose was to support field staff. I never did learn that lesson very well. These flashbacks bring me comfort in my decision to finally retire, that and finding it increasingly challenging to keep up with the new generation both intellectually and physically.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:11 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Whichever way you go, laptop or iMac, be aware that computers use a lot of power. This can be an issue if you intend to do any boondocking during your full-time adventure. My MacBook Pro is definitely the big power user when I'm camping. This is very apparent when I'm off the grid, which is as often as possible.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
Three doctoral dissertations were written on that original Mac SE in the first six years of its life
Your computer is smarter than my computer.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Whichever way you go, laptop or iMac, be aware that computers use a lot of power. This can be an issue if you intend to do any boondocking during your full-time adventure. My MacBook Pro is definitely the big power user when I'm camping. This is very apparent when I'm off the grid, which is as often as possible.
Thanks for the heads-up. I never really considered that the computer would be an energy hog.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:03 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Desktop

You might consider a laptops and an external monitor that could store under the seats when not in use. Best of both
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Why is it people want to escape from reality and go off the grid, but then they want to use something that needs the grid to function?
Old 07-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Why is it people want to escape from reality and go off the grid, but then they want to use something that needs the grid to function?
I assume that means that your newest trailer does not have air conditioning, right?

But seriously, whether it is sorting and editing the photos from the day's activities, or writing that soon-to-be bestselling novel, there are lots of things that can be done on a computer without internet access. And of course there are lots of things in RVs that need some power, not just electronics.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I assume that means that your newest trailer does not have air conditioning, right?
I was not talking about myself but the comment about boon docking and then wanting to use a computer......you misconstrued my question.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:33 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
some folks, such as me formerly, and my wife currently, telecommute, and can do our jobs anywhere we have internet access and room to setup a temporary desk.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
laptops typically use 30-50 watts when active, 70 watts or so is the maximum rating of the typical power supplies, sure, the big 17" ones might be more like 100 or 120 watt max but again, half that is the typical use. thats 2-4 amps typical, easily doable off your RV batteries, with solar recharging.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:37 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I was not talking about myself but the comment about boon docking and then wanting to use a computer......you misconstrued my question.
No, I understood it. Perhaps I should have said that "I assume that anyone who ever boondocks shouldn't have an air conditioner".

"Off grid" originally meant (and should still only mean) off the electrical power grid, and an air conditioner is a better example of something that needs power. If "off grid" was intended here to mean offline, then I described how it can be perfectly sensible to use a computer offline.

I just don't see a conflict between using a computer and camping without shore power.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:09 PM   #32

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
some folks, such as me formerly, and my wife currently, telecommute, and can do our jobs anywhere we have internet access and room to setup a temporary desk.
Colleen hard at it, 1 laptop and an extra screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Colleen working in SS.jpg  
Old 07-22-2019, 02:26 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Gotta love that Lagun table mount for that. We discovered the versatility of it for working in the trailer on our first trip with the table mount in June.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #34

When I go camping I want to get away from population, congestion, pollution, news bombardment, and reconnect with nature and everything about it. When we travel to Canada we lose our cell phone signal, sort of refreshing. Off the grid to me, is away from television, phones, noise and if this means no electric then so be it. We like fall and winter camping when most campgrounds are empty and a/c is not needed.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #35

Quote:
Is this a rhetorical question? I don't really think this thread is about boondocking and that question is, perhaps, only in your mind than a part of this discussion.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #36

More like Army intelligence or I'm with the government and here to help you, or Catch 22. Ironic is more like it.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #37

When I said "off the grid" I meant camping without hookups, aka boondocking. And I prefer to do this because it is usually cheaper than camping with hookups, not necessarily because I want to be in a remote area closer to nature. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

People use their Escapes for different reasons. Some like to camp and enjoy nature, build a campfire, etc. On the other hand, I view my trailer as a mobile hotel room, taking me to places I want to see. I enjoy visiting Portland or Seattle as much as I enjoy visiting Big Bend or the Palouse. I never build a campfire.

I also enjoy using my laptop, both on and offline, for various purposes. And it does suck down power, enough so that I know from experience that I need to keep an eye on the battery monitor when boondocking, in particular if I'm trying to budget my power for other energy-intensive uses such as running the microwave once or twice a day.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:00 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Colleen hard at it, 1 laptop and an extra screen.
Is there a way to make a Lagun table mount work in an Escape that does not have the U-shaped dinette bench? I'm guessing "no", but someone might have a solution.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:53 AM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Is there a way to make a Lagun table mount work in an Escape that does not have the U-shaped dinette bench? I'm guessing "no", but someone might have a solution.
There is always a way, it just takes some thinking and hard work. What would it be like attached to the side dinette bench? One could always devise a support bolted firmly to the floor that holds the arm too.

Myself, going to stick with my Springfield pedestal and Dicor 4-way slide for now as it works great. We love a big table.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:37 PM   #40

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
I think if you are willing to give up a few inches against the back wall it could be done. If you can get into a trailer with one installed you can get a feel of what is needed. I would think a couple of parallel channels between the benches at the top and a couple at the bottom tied (braced) together would provide plenty of wall support. Then adding 3/4" plywood face would do the trick. I believe the weakest spot in the mount to be where the table mounts to the Lagun and not as much where the Lagun mounts to the wall. That said I do believe that wall the Lagun mounts to does need to be solid.