Looking for Ideas for an RM 8551 fridge replacement - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2020, 06:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17B "Tamago", 2019 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax Diesel
Looking for Ideas for an RM 8551 fridge replacement

Well, I’m sad to say that after 3+ frustrating years with our Dometic RM 8551, the RV repair facility has said the fridge has packed it in, not cooling to keep food safe.
SOOOOO, I’m looking for ideas for a replacement that would fit.
I saw the 3 page post from a couple of years ago, but no one really came up with a REAL replacement.
Any ideas?
Old 07-13-2020, 07:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Would you consider a reefer/freezer that operates on 12volt DC a "REAL replacement", or do you require /desire LP gas operation?

IOW, would you consider a 'Danfoss compressor' type unit (all-electric operation), or will you only consider an 'absorption type' unit (allowing operation on LP gas)?
Old 07-13-2020, 07:15 PM   #3

I’m leaning more towards a traditional absorption fridge, as we do a lot of dry camping. And in Canada, the nights can get cool, so we would need plenty of juice to look after all our needs. Hence, we’re staying away from compressor fridges, although they are tempting.
However, we strong argument, we might be persuaded to look at other options.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Nope, not gonna try to 'sell you' on an all-electric solution if your use-habit is already geared toward lots of propane operation.

IF you want to 'sell yourself' you can look at the Nova Kool website for complete specs to find unit(s) of competitive size fitting in your existing cutout:

Nova Kool, refrigerators, freezers, Marine, RV, Truck

AFAIK all current absorption type units use the same basic technology and control system concepts; while there's detail differences between brands they all offer the same benefits and suffer similar foibles .... it's hard if not impossible to find a any brand that is immune from complaints, and hard to discern that the frequency of those complaints among different brands is significantly different over time. Web research reveals no shortage of advocates and detractors for all brands (and that holds for 'compressor type' units, too).

There are of course aftermarket vendors of various 'upgrade kits' for absorption units, alleging to offer better / more reliable operation. I've no experience with any of those, knocking-on-wood the ancient RM2454 absorption unit in my '05 Casita is still satisfactorily operating.

Insofar as absorption types, it strikes me as pretty much a 'pay your money, take your chances' and 'some get lucky, some don't' situation. Good Luck!

Just as a matter of curiosity, do you know if the poor performance and now failure of your RM8551 is based in inadequate rear ventilation, it's control system(s), or has it lost refrigerant?
Old 07-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Since you have a first generation Escape, the aircraft style door's width is going to be your most restrictive factor. Not many frig's will fit through that opening.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tworainy View Post
Well, I’m sad to say that after 3+ frustrating years with our Dometic RM 8551, the RV repair facility has said the fridge has packed it in, not cooling to keep food safe.
SOOOOO, I’m looking for ideas for a replacement that would fit.
I saw the 3 page post from a couple of years ago, but no one really came up with a REAL replacement.
Any ideas?
We have the same refrigerator . Check Norcold . The cabinet size may be different especially in height . Measure the width you have for your doorway . Remember you can always remove the door on the refrigerator and go sideways maybe to get into your trailer . If you have to change height and width cabinet dimensions, can be done just need to get the new fridge in . Read the paper work with new refrigerator and make sure the cabinet is insulated and the clearances are correct . Very important for operation . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:03 PM   #7

Centex, thanks for your push. Visited the Nova Kool factory this morning, as I was in the neighbourhood. I've crunched numbers and read a lot since yesterday, and have decided to go for a Nova Kool R3800 to replace our Dometic RM8551. My wife swears the Dometic didn't work well from the get-go. Going to put the savings into solar!
Old 07-14-2020, 07:42 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Before you install anything new be sure that the cavity is insulated. Well insulated. Mine had no insulation, nada! I pulled the refrigerator and installed foam board on all sides except the back. On the rear I fabricated an aluminum raceway to exhaust heat out of the roof vent. It is an acceptable refrigerator after five years of messing with it.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:47 PM   #9

So I got our 17B Tamago home 2 days ago with our lousy Dometic RM8551 fridge replaced with a Nova Kool R3800. The repair shop installed it last Friday, apparently with proper insulation around it, and ran it on DC all weekend. The fridge was cold on Monday when he called me to pick it up! In fact, I picked it up a day later, and it was STILL cold...and there was still juice in the batteries (though not much).

Now comes the true test...fine tuning the temperature and road testing it!

As for the install, it was an easy fit with a little space left above the fridge to fill with a spacer.
Nova Kool R3800 was also considerably cheaper to purchase, at C$1399 plus taxes.

I will keep the forum apprised of my experience with this set up.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:55 PM   #10

Quote:
So I got our 17B Tamago home 2 days ago with our lousy Dometic RM8551 fridge replaced with a Nova Kool R3800. The repair shop installed it last Friday, apparently with proper insulation around it, and ran it on DC all weekend. The fridge was cold on Monday when he called me to pick it up! In fact, I picked it up a day later, and it was STILL cold...and there was still juice in the batteries (though not much).

Now comes the true test...fine tuning the temperature and road testing it!

As for the install, it was an easy fit with a little space left above the fridge to fill with a spacer.
Nova Kool R3800 was also considerably cheaper to purchase, at C$1399 plus taxes.

I will keep the forum apprised of my experience with this set up.
Interested please update ! Pat
Old 07-23-2020, 11:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2023 21C
We are still trying to keep our fridge working and are looking for a couple of parts, is it too late to purchase them from you?

Thanks.
dunnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #12

The only part I have left is a new door lock tab/clip that I ordered from the UK. Offers?
(https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/d...b-rmx-rml85xx/)

Otherwise, you could check with Tedco RV in Langley to see if they still have it for other parts.
Good luck!
Old 07-24-2020, 11:25 AM   #13

Trailer: 2023 21C
Thanks, I called Tedco and they have tossed the fridge. I did replace the latch earlier with:

https://bastens.com/products/dometic...idge-latch-lef

Thanks again.
dunnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #14

We just got back from our 2 week trip through the Kootenays to Alberta, then back through Nakusp with our new replacement Nova Kool fridge. I'm glad to say it was the best functioning RV fridge we've ever used! We never hooked up with power (except at dad's for a few days), so camped in unserviced spots all along the way. To supplement the battery power, we would put portable 180w solar panels for the day. This worked great!!
We're looking forward to our next trip with our compressor Nova Kool fridge.
Old 08-11-2023, 07:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Anyone have experience with the Isotherm Freelance Elegance 12v as a replacement for the RM8551? Looks like a perfect fit width/depth wise for the cutout AND narrow enough to get in the door of my classic 19. Probably have to trim a couple of inches at the top, but could also add extra insulation there. I've got my Dometic working as good as ever, but now that I have 190W of roof solar and dual 6v Trojans, I'm exploring options.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 07:21 PM   #16

Our NovaKool 3800 is still working well.
Will try to post later this month with an updated review.
Old 08-11-2023, 07:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Can you tell what batteries or solar capacity you have ? Thankyou Pat
Old 08-11-2023, 08:48 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Another thought, the Amish in Ohio (?) make their own absorption units for a number of Dometic refrigerators as they use them in their own homes. They are excellent quality and last for years, but are expensive. If you can't find anything of interest they are worth a look. BC is a long haul to have them do the install but they could ship you the unit for a DIY. There might also be some Amish in Canada that do the same thing.
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 05:28 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Did your NovaKool replace a Dometic RM8551 ?
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 05:32 PM   #20

We have dual 6 Volt batteries, and supplement it with a 180W portable solar that plugs into the hitch wire harness.

Tags
fridge problem