Loud clicking noise using generator to power 9500 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2024, 06:42 AM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by revdavid View Post
The gen has a floating ground so I made a bonding plug.

Same results. When a/c compressor kicked on, the sudden clattering noise. But this time the EMS shut down the power after 2-3 seconds.

E4 error--low voltage. Also the EMS display showed 26 amps. Not sure why it still displayed amps when it had shut down. Also how could the gen pump 26 amps? The gen didn't indicate overload.

Thanks for helping me sort through this issue!
The Amp meter on the EMS uses a circular coil around the wire to measure the current. The wire has to be straight to get an accurate reading. When Escape installed mine they had a bend in the wire, this caused high readings. I called GoPower and they sent me a new coil, but, in the mean time I trimmed and straightened the wire. That gave me much more accurate readings. I never installed the new coil.

As far as your generator be sure it is NOT set to ECO mode. That will require the generator to 'spin up' when the load increases, often not fast enough for the compressor load.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 08:57 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
As Daryl (7Gentex) points out, there is a specific problem with that model Yamaha generator & the Progressive Industries EMS. I remember a posting on one of their web pages stating they were not compatible. If I remember correctly, there were enough small spikes when under heavy load that the EMS electronics switched the contractor (relay) off & on.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:39 AM   #23

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21, previous 93 19 ft Bigfoot
It appears there is a problem with this Yamaha gen and EMS. The gen never indicates an overload when A/C compressor kicks on. Just the loud clattering from the EMS for a few seconds and shuts off power.

As I mentioned earlier, I have two Yamaha EF 2000iS generators connected in parallel. I purchased in 2014 and they have very little use. I sure was hoping I could get by with just one.
revdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 10:36 AM   #24

Trailer: 2022 E19
Per Progressive Industries..............WOW!

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/disclaimer

"Yamaha Generator

Please be advised the Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS does not generate enough start-up current which causes the unit to overload. The generator then puts out non-true Sine Wave power. Progressive Industries units are designed to operate only on True Sine Wave power.

For this reason, The Progressive Industries Warranty is hereby void if an EMS Unit is used in conjunction with a Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS. Any damage sustained to the EMS unit are the sole responsibility of the customer."
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 10:42 AM   #25

Trailer: 2022 E19
But.......?

My old noise maker Champion 46540 (non-inverter gen) works fine with the EMS - doubt it is "true" sine wave?
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 11:15 AM   #26

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21, previous 93 19 ft Bigfoot
Wow! Amazing you found the Progressive Industry disclaimer concerning the Yamaha gen. Because of the loud clattering of the EMS, I see how it can cause damage. Now I know not to attempt running my A/C with one Yamaha gen!
revdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 11:49 AM   #27

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
I have an A-Ipower 2300 watt generator and soft start installed. Unfortunately, the Dometic AC in our 19 requires a bit more surge power at startup than the generator can handle.
When I try to run the A/C I get the same chattering you describe from my EMS so I quit trying.
One of these days I hope to camp with someone with the Honda 2000 or 2200 so I can try theirs, since those seem to handle start up surges better, from what I've been reading, maybe because they have more displacement and torque than my generator.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:18 PM   #28

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
I have an A-Ipower 2300 watt generator and soft start installed. Unfortunately, the Dometic AC in our 19 requires a bit more surge power at startup than the generator can handle.
When I try to run the A/C I get the same chattering you describe from my EMS so I quit trying.
One of these days I hope to camp with someone with the Honda 2000 or 2200 so I can try theirs, since those seem to handle start up surges better, from what I've been reading, maybe because they have more displacement and torque than my generator.
What I do with my Dometic Penguin II 13.5K BTU air conditioner to run it off of both a WEN2350 or a Champion 2500 Dual Fuel on propane (separately not together) is:

Turn off all breakers except the 30 Amp main breaker and the Air Conditioner breaker.
Set the Fan on the thermostat to LOW, not Auto.
Make sure the generator is NOT in ECO mode.

This works for me without having a Soft Start on my air conditioner.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote