Low campground AC voltage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2021, 04:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Low campground AC voltage

The campground we are in has been having low voltage fluctuations all day. Drops below 108 and EMS cuts off as designed. Comes back on for 30 seconds or less every few minutes and blips off. Not a big problem, I put the fridge on gas to avoid the constant switching on and off. Our little electric heater is no use in this but furnace is doing fine.

I want to keep shore power turned on to see the status. But to run the microwave on inverter I assume I need to go turn off shore power so it doesn't blip back on while the inverter is running. Again, not a big deal except that it is freezing with high wind and blowing snow....sigh. I may just go out and turn off shore power and run off batteries, they are full. Sunny weather is due back tomorrow.

I have seen readings on the EMS as low as 104 so don't dare bypass it. On a positive note, it is very pretty here in Torrey, Utah, we got here before the storm and don't have to travel until Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails
20211012_074818.jpg  
davidmurphy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Beautiful picture there David.......
Old 10-12-2021, 04:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up

Cat contemplating the good life snug in a warm trailer (thanks for sharing)

Y'all are obviously Having Fun!
Old 10-12-2021, 04:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Cat contemplating the good life snug in a warm trailer (thanks for sharing)

Y'all are obviously Having Fun!
Since taking that pic first thing today it has been snowing heavily, even prettier now!
Old 10-12-2021, 05:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
The campground we are in has been having low voltage fluctuations all day. Drops below 108 and EMS cuts off as designed. Comes back on for 30 seconds or less every few minutes and blips off. Not a big problem, I put the fridge on gas to avoid the constant switching on and off. Our little electric heater is no use in this but furnace is doing fine.

I want to keep shore power turned on to see the status. But to run the microwave on inverter I assume I need to go turn off shore power so it doesn't blip back on while the inverter is running. Again, not a big deal except that it is freezing with high wind and blowing snow....sigh. I may just go out and turn off shore power and run off batteries, they are full. Sunny weather is due back tomorrow.

I have seen readings on the EMS as low as 104 so don't dare bypass it. On a positive note, it is very pretty here in Torrey, Utah, we got here before the storm and don't have to travel until Saturday.
Good thing you got your propane furnace troubles figured out! To run the inverter without risk of it switching back to shore power can’t you just flip the main breaker off in your power center? No need to go outside and unplug. This also allows you to still monitor the voltage on the EMS because you are killing power downstream of the unit.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:27 PM   #6

Thanks for that tip Rubicon, my brain is too chilled to have thought of that. Just got through sweeping piles of snow off the truck so they don't become blocks of ice tonight, ready for a hot toddy.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:43 PM   #7

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Is that the same campground that we had the ground fault, so just used solar?

Thanks,

Perry
Old 10-12-2021, 05:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Is that the same campground that we had the ground fault, so just used solar?

Thanks,

Perry
Yup. We've had occasional low voltage issues here before but nothing like today. I think everyone was staying home during the blizzard with everything in their RV running.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:17 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Rpod 151
This should help with the low voltage
Hughes Autoformer RV2130 30 Amp Voltage Booster
mtbmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmitch View Post
This should help with the low voltage
Hughes Autoformer RV2130 30 Amp Voltage Booster
Wow, didn't know there was such a thing! For $350 or so I'll just use my solar here for a few days. We rarely use our air conditioner but if you used it often this could be a handy accessory.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
The use of the Hughes Autoformer or similar variable transformer is a very contentious issue. Many campgrounds, especially with power problems, do not allow the use of them, because they draw more amperage than you would normally use. Certainly they cannot draw more than the limit of the circuit breaker on the pedestal, but if you are only using 20 amps for example, then the lower voltage causes a higher draw. Using the autoformer raises the voltage to you, but the amp draw is still increased and even more as there are losses in the autofomer. A normal 20 amp draw at 120v might be as much as 25 amps using a autoformer on a low voltage campground, thus the campground sees a higher draw. You get several campers doing this and suddenly the voltage drops to the level where everyone's systems either burn up if not protected or shut off due to the low voltage.

Recent changes to the National Electric Code Articles 551 and 552 that regulate RV wiring, forbid the use of voltage boosting devices in RV's. This itself generates many arguments as to the validity of the NEC application to RV's (it is required of the RV manufacturers by the RVIA to get the oval sticker on the side of the RV), which again creates arguments as to the need for that little oval sticker (a very few campgrounds will not rent to RV's that don't bear the sticker, as a means of keeping out school bus conversions, cargo trailer conversions, etc.) Insurance companies would not insure an RV as an RV if the manufacturer did not have RVIA approval............ the arguments go on.

You can read a discussion on this....... HERE.

And HERE

Some more info

Excellent info for a campground operator

Another discussion with a couple of rather funny comments

Its much akin to whether you should or are allowed to run your propane fridge on the road, or what brand of oil filter to use, or..................

Many campgrounds, both private and governmental owned, are in the process of upgrading their electric infrastructure. It is necessary as more and more RV's are out there, and many more are 50 amp and even those that are 30 amp have electric water heaters (it used to be pilot lighted propane was the norm), they have A/C ) instead of a couple of 12v fans) they have huge banks of batteries to be charged (drawing more power with larger converters), they have fridges that run on electricity (again, it use to be a propane only thing) and on and on.

As these upgrades happen, people will gravitate AWAY from campgrounds that have issues such as poor electrical infrastructure, in favor of those that can provide.

In Georgia, you want assurance of good electrical power at a campground? Go to a Georgia Power Company owned campground. Georgia Power Lakes as they are quite nice and the power pedestals are in good condition and you have a transformer every three or four campsites. No problems there.

Charles
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:50 AM   #12

That makes sense, Charles, thanks for the explanation. I guess this is another case of "if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
Old 10-13-2021, 02:36 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Physics is physics, the power boost transformer has to draw enough power to step it up. It comes from the rest of the campground grid
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 03:25 PM   #14
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Hi David - I can't help with the power issue, but when we were in Torry at bit over a year ago we stayed at Sand Creek and the folks were pretty nice and the hookups worked well. Also, if you have not tried it we really liked the Wild Rabbit for coffee and breakfast. The cinnamon rolls were outstanding and even better when we asked form some w/o the icing (too much sugar for us but good). Hope it works out for you there. BTW we did take-out as I've not always heard great things about their indoor table service. It is maybe the only place around there to get decent coffee however.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote