LP alarm sounding repeatedly -- troubleshooting? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
LP alarm sounding repeatedly -- troubleshooting?

Hi all -- long time no post!

We are having some fun with our LP detector, which is repeatedly going off. When we enter the trailer we don't smell anything and nothing seems amiss. The fridge is running on electric and the stove burners are off. The heater is also off. I don't know whether I'd definitely SMELL something amiss, or how to assess whether this is the real deal, as we had a problem briefly last year where the LP detector sounded due to moisture in the trailer (at least that's what Tammy thought).

But that was just once or twice. This is persistent. Have any of you had this issue, and how did you troubleshoot it? I think until today we thought it was just a bug, but tonight it went off about six times in a row, so I've turned all the propane tanks off and the door's open ...

I do have a call in to Reace. Thanks for any thoughts in the meantime.

~e
& Dovekie the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
medora66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 17B
The one in my RV would go off when the battery got low.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #3

Sally, do you remember what kind of battery? I'm assuming I just need to snap the panel off?
Old 10-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #4

Wow, that's service! Reace already called back and he's advising that it's probably a bum unit, one of many. They don't use this particular one anymore. He's sending a separate smoke/co2 detector and LP detector to replace what we have.

If everyone was as gracious, patient and helpful as Tammy and Reace, the world would be a better place.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I had to replace my propane detector early on. Waking up in the middle of the night was not pleasant. They are all dated, some may have to be removed from the wall to see the date.

After another alarm with the new detector I did some sniffing around, pun intended. I think I had a leaking propane cylinder, one of the 16.4 oz models. I had it stored under the front driver side dinette. These cylinders can leak while still attached to your stove or more so when removed.

Check you cylinders before replacing the alarm.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #6

Causes of false alarms include low voltage, loose wiring connections, and believe it or not, gas from your dog. Or a bad unit.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #7

Gas from the dog(s)? Or from the husband, blaming the dog(s)? He's not here this weekend, otherwise I'm sure he'd attempt a feeble defense ... !

For the record, I've disconnected all the propane, cleared the trailer of any canisters, checked the voltage -- and it's still going off (6 times today). Reace was pretty convinced it was a bum unit and I think he's probably right. He said he's replaced a number of these.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #8

Trailer: sold it
Our propane detector went off when the trailer was quite new - turns out the guy fixing the fridge hadn't tightened the propane connector when he reinstalled the fridge. We were glad we had the detector then - but then it started going off for no reason - it seemed to perhaps be cool weather that set it off. I replaced it and no problems since.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 2012 17B
I was talking about the house battery getting low, but you would have found that by now.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #10

Yeah -- definitely a crap unit -- I waited another day before finally disconnecting the alarm (Reace is sending a new one). The alarm continued to sound two days after I'd turned off the LP and done all the checks, so getting a replacement will be a relief. For the record, Reace said that they now do a smoke detector/CO2 detector -- and a separate LP detector. No more CO/LP combo due all the issues with them.

BTW, not that anyone cares but I realized I was posting under an ancient, abandoned account. Color me plain old "medora" from this point on -- not "medora66."
medora is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, lp alarm, propane alarm