LP gas question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2018, 08:35 AM   #1

Trailer: soon to be '18 Escape 21, '18 F150 XLT 2.7 tow
LP gas question

I've purchased a duel fuel generator and a gas grill for an upcoming camping trip. I also have a factory exterior quick disconnect gas connection on our Escape. The Champion generator has a separate regulator made to be used between a 20 lb. canister and the female quick disconnect on the generator. The grill comes with a regulator attached and is made to be used with a 1 lb. canister. I'd like to be able to run either off of the exterior gas connection. Questions; 1) can I just swap out the connection at the grill and leave the regulator in place, running gas thru both the grill and trailer regulators? And 2) is it reasonable to use a 15' or 20' hose from the trailer connection to run either? Any and all observations are welcome as I have little experience with what are considered safe practices common in RV travel.

Thanks,
Marv
Stkshftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe the factory quick connect is after the regulator, so it will be low pressure while your generator and grill have their own regulator so they must be high pressure. So with out adapters they may not work. You can always carry an extra 20 lb tank for these 2 items and then you will always a spare propane on hand.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
What kind of grill, some can be changed, some not.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
You might be able to use the quick connect direct to the generator or grill if you have a hose that has the quick connect end and what ever is needed to attach to the appliances. It would have to be a hose that has no regulator on it as the quick connect is located after the regulator and the gas supply would now be low pressure.
An alternative is to connect direct to one of the tanks with the appliance hose and regulator. I've done that with my griddle using a 15' hose with no problem. It is a bit inconvenient having to disconnect the tank from the trailer but pretty minor as a whole.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:25 PM   #5

Trailer: soon to be '18 Escape 21, '18 F150 XLT 2.7 tow
I think I should clarify; Both appliances require gas at low pressure (11" WC). The regulator that comes with the generator is a separate unit designed to be set aside if not needed (as in this case). The gas grill (a Napolean TravelQ 285 table top unit), on the other hand, has a built in regulator that could be removed and replaced with an adaptor. I must admit, I haven't thoroughly read the manual on that one yet. Anyway, I'd like to have one hose used to connect either of these from the accessory outlet on the trailer (which I do believe is after the trailer regulator). Is this a reasonable expectation?
Stkshftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #6

The generator will have a "demand" regulator that will remain, you just need a quick connect on it to hook it to the low pressure side of the camper's quick connection.

The grill's regulator will be removed and replaced with the quick connect type connector. This is exactly our setup, which I do with a Honda EU2000 and a Weber Q1000 grill. Works great.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Here is a solution:
Karen H. from Bellingham posted this a long time ago. I did something very similar, and it works great, for our grill, or to run our camping buddys' Coleman stove when we're frying bacon and want to keep the airborne grease outside. It's a Tee, valve and hose before the trailer's regulator.

dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Double check your generator as it might require 1/2 psi which is 14” water column. The low pressure trailer system including the quick connect is regulated to 11”. You might want to consider using the regulator provided with the generator off of one of the trailer tanks or a spare tank directly. Similar to dfandrews posted picture but including the Champion supplied regulator. This way you know the gen is getting the proper pressure and flow.

Your Napoleon grill does want 11” so if you can remove the regulator you can run right from the trailer quick connect with the appropriate hose. 15’-20’ should be ok.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote