LT tires vs ST tires - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2020, 10:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 19'
LT tires vs ST tires

What can you old pros out there tell me about using LT tires on my Escape 19 instead of ST tires. Pro and con. Also, do LT tires come in the right size for Escapes?
Larry L
Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Well, ST tires are designed for the application. They are for trailers.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
If I understand correctly, LT tires are Light Truck. Unless your running really tough trail in the dessert like the White Rim Trail just outside Moab Utah, why would you put LT tires on your trailer.

I needed a replacement tire for my 17B on a cross country trek. A call to the RV dealer along the way sent us to the farm supply just off the Interstate. White steel wheel and similar trailer tire was $119 IIRC. That’s why I didn’t get aluminum wheels with the recent build.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Well, ST tires are designed for the application. They are for trailers.
Yes, and by far the most important aspect of the trailer application is that buyers want an exceptionally cheap tire, with adequate load capacity in a small size. This is why the 3500 pound capacity axle on an Escape is carried by two tires which are smaller than anything you'll find on a car with much lower axle capacity.

LT and commercial tires are for driven and non-driven positions on severe-service vehicles, including trailers. ST tires are not appropriate for anything other than trailers, but of course that's not a problem when using them as intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
If I understand correctly, LT tires are Light Truck. Unless your running really tough trail in the dessert like the White Rim Trail just outside Moab Utah, why would you put LT tires on your trailer.
Typically people chose LT tires for trailers...
  • to get sizes that they cannot get in ST,
  • to get load capacity they could not get in ST (but higher load ranges have become available in ST tires),
  • to get a higher speed rating than they can get in ST (but ST speed ratings are going up so that's less of a concern),
  • to get better-quality tires than available in ST,
  • to match the tow vehicle tires so they can use the same spare tires and even other components (which is common in Australia, but not here), and
  • for appearance (such as a "rugged" look on "off-road" styled trailers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry L View Post
... do LT tires come in the right size for Escapes?
No, LT tires are generally sized for recent light trucks, and light trucks haven't used 75-series tires for 15-inch wheels in many years. There are some sizes which would work in overall diameter and width, but would need 16-inch wheels... which are hard to find to match the trailer hubs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:18 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have Carlisle radial ST tires in load range D. They are speed rated to 81mph and I think I should have stayed with load range C, which better matches the load capacity of the axle and the load of the trailer.

Instead, I get a false sense that bigger is better, and I get a harsher ride. Need to deflate the tires to compensate.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:35 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
LT tires vs. ST on trailers have been discussed at length in the past. These threads should be helpful...
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f10/lt-tires-on-tt-11707.html
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f12/lt-trailer-tires-15147.html
www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9/rainier-tires-14976.html
Old 03-12-2020, 08:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have Carlisle radial ST tires in load range D. They are speed rated to 81mph and I think I should have stayed with load range C, which better matches the load capacity of the axle and the load of the trailer.

Instead, I get a false sense that bigger is better, and I get a harsher ride. Need to deflate the tires to compensate.
There is nothing wrong with running a "stronger" tire. While the tire is rated for 65 PSI max you are probably fine with running the original recommended 50 PSI or maybe even down as low as 40 PSI depending on the loaded weight of your trailer. Refer to the load/inflation chart for your specific tire.