Manual Awning Detaching Arms from Trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2021, 11:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Manual Awning Detaching Arms from Trailer

I have the manual awning on my build sheet for the 21C. When I had my Casita I would sometimes detach the arms from the trailer and stake them to the ground. I could then use "tie downs" staked to the ground to make it more secure. This allowed the awning to be used in stronger winds and doesn't put stress on the trailer body where the arms attach to the trailer. Is this possible with the Escape manual awning?
Also if anyone has done this have you found "Tie Down" straps that attach well to the top of the arms?
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:17 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have looked at that possibility and the shape of those awning arms are not amenable to placing on the ground. Plus the mechanism will not benefit from being in the dirt and subject to splash during a rain. It seemed to me it would require some sort of custom support to accommodate that curve, seemed like more effort than it was worth.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:06 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
On the classic trailers, the lower portion of the awning arms were intentionally bent inward, because the trailer sides aren't flat. The trailer body tapers in quite a bit. On the newer trailers, there is no taper. Because of this, the awning arms should not have that inward bend on the bottom of the arm. There is a lever to release the bottom of the arm from the trailer. It's a simple matter of staking the arm to the ground at that point. You could even do this with my awning that has the inwardly bent lower arms.

But, I don't really see the point of staking out the arms. The awning is more stable and the tautness/flapping is more controllable with the lower arms still attached to the trailer. Deployed properly, our awning is strong and stable while the campers around us are scrambling with theirs at every little gust of wind.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
When we had our 19 with the manual awning, we staked the legs out more often than not. It was nice having the extra maneuverability around the trailer without having to always dodge around the diagonal support.

Never had an issue with dirt on them, and if there was a quick rinse and all was good.

Seeing ours was the 6th 19 built, it had the curved awning arms, but we did not find this had any effect. With the new straight arms it would look a bit nicer maybe.

Our awning mat was 12x7 so the spikes I used for pinning out the awning arms we right into the corner holes for the mat keeping it nice and taut.

It is real easy to give it a try, and see if you like it yourself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I second unlatching the bottom of the awning arms & staking them to the ground. Did it most of the time I used the awning on my 2011 17B. I agree with Jim - much nicer to have vertical arms rather than diagonals that are easy to walk into.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:54 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Yeah, I suppose the diagonals are easy to walk into - and I did do that once or twice. But now I know...kinda like pranging my head on the vent hood. [emoji23]
Old 03-21-2021, 08:55 AM   #7

Thanks everyone, I wasn't sure they were detachable.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yeah, I suppose the diagonals are easy to walk into - and I did do that once or twice. But now I know...kinda like pranging my head on the vent hood. [emoji23]
I would laugh and make jokes, but I am known for similar stunts. Okay, I'm gonna laugh. [emoji23]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-21-2021, 09:33 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
With the power awning, the supports are not missed........well actually they are.......
Old 03-21-2021, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
With the power awning, the supports are not missed........well actually they are.......
I see it similarly. For the most part I really like not having them, but there are a few times they would be nice.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:02 AM   #11

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Currently we're in Arizona and have placed the manual awning arms on the ground to see what is gained. We're in an "RV Resort" in Apache Junction where we can't wait for the end of March to get out of here! Anyway, the awning arm by Terry's cooking table is on the ground when the awning is extended, but the other arm is left angled on the camper.

Found out it doesn't matter whether we have an electric or manual, at about 4 pm the sun is low and goes underneath the awning, so no benefit of an awning. We pull the truck along side the camper and sit in it's shade until the sun goes down.

Sometimes you just can't win.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-21-2021, 12:33 PM   #12

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
manual awning tie downs plus shade

We used and will use a screen panel that slides in the slot of the roller. By securing the screen out farther than the outer edge of the awning it gives us more footage under the awning plus shade in the low afternoon sun and in case of strong winds we don't pull in the awning.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
We used and will use a screen panel that slides in the slot of the roller. By securing the screen out farther than the outer edge of the awning it gives us more footage under the awning plus shade in the low afternoon sun and in case of strong winds we don't pull in the awning.
AZjack
AZjack, I lake that option. That accomplishes what I want, to be able keep the awning up when the wind picks up. I Haven't seen the awning yet so I was un aware of the slot in the roller. Could you suggest a screen panel that would work? I would like to have the panel with me when I pick up the 21C this August in WA. Could some provide me with the awning length?
Thanks

Thanks
Old 03-21-2021, 03:13 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Currently we're in Arizona and have placed the manual awning arms on the ground to see what is gained. We're in an "RV Resort" in Apache Junction where we can't wait for the end of March to get out of here! Anyway, the awning arm by Terry's cooking table is on the ground when the awning is extended, but the other arm is left angled on the camper.

Found out it doesn't matter whether we have an electric or manual, at about 4 pm the sun is low and goes underneath the awning, so no benefit of an awning. We pull the truck along side the camper and sit in it's shade until the sun goes down.

Sometimes you just can't win.

Enjoy,

Perry
when I'm out in the open and not in a defined campspace, my preference is to park the trailer with the hitch pointing due north or maybe a bit east of due north, so the sun sets 'behind' the trailer, for maximum afternoon shade.

yes, this means bright sun in the early morning
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:01 PM   #15

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
screen panels

I have bought them from a company just off I-8 EAST OF San Diego. Try google or maybe even camping world. I also had some end panels made up to attach to the end of the awning.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:12 PM   #16
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
when I'm out in the open and not in a defined campspace, my preference is to park the trailer with the hitch pointing due north or maybe a bit east of due north, so the sun sets 'behind' the trailer, for maximum afternoon shade.

yes, this means bright sun in the early morning
Desert camping at its finest, early morning sun sure fells good with a hot cup of coffee in your hand.
Attached Thumbnails
0b.jpg  
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:45 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
Thanks everyone, I wasn't sure they were detachable.
FYI Carefree calls it “Carport Position”
Attached Thumbnails
46F45133-D4D1-4B72-9CBE-794BC235E058.jpg  
Old 03-21-2021, 05:50 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
AZjack, I lake that option. That accomplishes what I want, to be able keep the awning up when the wind picks up. I Haven't seen the awning yet so I was un aware of the slot in the roller. Could you suggest a screen panel that would work? I would like to have the panel with me when I pick up the 21C this August in WA. Could some provide me with the awning length?
Thanks

Thanks
Here’s Jack’s original19 at Osoyoos in the spring of 2017. We used the side screen on the “sunny end” switching it mid day. The end panel is a screen too but kind of looks like a tarp in this picture. I have the brochure and will look up the company in San Diego when I get home in a few days if you would like but it will be about a week. The screens are great and when we had them up we had lots of folks stop by and comment that it was about 15 degrees cooler behind the screen. You can stake them down or use downrigger lead to hold them out and in place.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
D9AAA573-E87F-44C1-8667-49083C9F3B08.jpg  
Old 03-21-2021, 06:08 PM   #19

Looks like Jake enjoyed the coolness..........
Old 03-21-2021, 06:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Desert camping at its finest, early morning sun sure fells good with a hot cup of coffee in your hand.
and late afternoon sun with a cold beer.........