Max battery charge now 90% - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, I agree, particularly when traveling off the interstates....
Old 09-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Aux tank

'Transfer Flow' builds really great aux tanks for trucks. I have the 75 gal in my truck bed that sits where a tool box would be.

It's wired in to the system and when your stock tank gets to about half full the aux tank will pump fuel to it until it's almost full and then turn off.

Indicators on my dash tells me what it's doing when it activates and also the aux tank level.

Gives me about a 2200 mi range with truck only. I don't know what it is with my new trailer. I didn't check on the way home but my guess would be about 15-17 mpg.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:58 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA #58
So what voltage should I be seeing? I changed out my 2015 2/6V batteries that came with the 5.0TA. Since I don't cold camp much I went with the cheaper Costco Interstate lead acid units with about half the rated amp/hrs. I seem to remember I'd get 13.6V with the old units and today my new ones are at 13.1. Should I be concerned?

I too have one of those cheap Chinese digital volt meters and so far am happy with the convenience.
GusGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #24

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
hard to say exactly, are you hooked to city power?, are they fully charged?
Old 09-17-2019, 06:46 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA #58
Yes, the batteries are are attached to the AC grid and should be fully charged. This is the same conditions that I had when I had the older batteries prior to the change out.

Also, I simply swapped out the batteries. No other change was made.
GusGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:26 AM   #26

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
This is an interesting article that summarizes, references, and regurgitates a lot of other info regarding many of the challenges pertaining to achieving true, full state of charge (SOC) batteries, as well as how to accurately assess SOC: http://popupbackpacker.com/state-of-...-battery-bank/

It’s a decent synopsis of the issues, and easier reading than Handy Bob’s well-known and informative treatise. I particularly appreciated how this author references his source material, and his innovative approach toward evaluating voltage based SOC.

One great limitation of voltage based SOC assessments is that batteries cannot be in use in any fashion, charging or discharging, for hours, in order to get a stabilized voltage reading. Hard to achieve if you’re actively living in your camper. And isn’t that the situation when determining SOC matters most? An amp-counting battery monitor, on the other hand, is far more accurate and works all the time, no matter what loads are on the system.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:46 AM   #27

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Full Quiver"; 2018 Ford F 150 3.0l Turbodiesel
Send a message via MSN to Berndad Send a message via Yahoo to Berndad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I found that the GoPower % reading rarely goes above 90% unless you spend a couple of days running on the converter (plugged into a pedestal).

Page 19 of the PDF manual notes that the only time the display will read 100% is after equalization OR after using the boost button to force a second absorption phase. The manual states that 90% is >= 12.8V (a fully charged battery).
Pushing that little boost button on occasion certainly does put the Go Power reading back at 100% and was what the Escape tech told me when I called with the same question 1 week in to our original pick up trip!
Doesn't really make a huge difference in total power available, but sure made me feel better.
Who knew I was such a fan of 100%
My newly installed Victron battery monitor does amuch better job!
Berndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:53 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The West

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Leaving Sturgis on Labour Day heading east on SD34 showed I had over 250km left on the tank so thought I'd fill up either when we got to Pierre or sooner if needed. Well with a headwind suddenly my km. remaining was quickly depleting and I began to worry. Great here's a town ahead with gas station, oh oh closed Labour Day, so finally with under 60km showing found a little gas station/general store where I put in very expensive premium gas (other choice was diesel).

Always best when you don't know the area to ensure you have enough fuel.
As I said, I don’t mess around in the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming and all those places where I sing home on the range. Last week where I knew exactly where I was I pushed the gas out to avoid the gas tax in Illinois and on the toll roads and did just fine. Also gassed at Buffalo NY so avoided gassing in Canada although the $1.09.9 signs I saw were about as low as I’ve seen in several years of visiting Canada. I always make sure I’ll be able to idle for a long time when approaching cities like Chicago but the worst stoppage I’ve encountered in the last 6 years was 2 hours on the 403 coming back from Ontario Bolerama. Wind can mess you up, that’s for sure. Thought you might be due for a new F150 and saw one on a truck coming home, it was a Shelby Super snake, 750 hp out of a 5.0L V-8, $96,000 US. With that you’d stop at every gas station, unless the gas tank is mounted in the box.
Iowa Dave