Maxxfan clicking when closed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2021, 06:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Maxxfan clicking when closed

My Maxxfan 7000K was making loud clicking noises when told to close. Everything is fine until the roof vent is closed and then the motor continues to run - that's when the loud clicking noises start.

So, a little research and I find that this is common with Maxxfans that are more than a few years old - the roof vent operator fails and requires replacement.

For my 7000K, the part is MaxxAir 10A20281K-1AF MaxxFan RV Roof Vent Operator Mechanism For Automatic Lift.

https://pantherrvproducts.com/maxxai...gear-operator/

Here is an instruction sheet for how to replace it. It's not hard but for some strange reason, MaxxAir doesn't have it on their website.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...structions.pdf
Old 01-07-2021, 07:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Looks like good info for someone with the remote opening fan.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
I just replaced the one on our Maxxfan. It was clicking when closing. This is a common failure part. I purchased two and put one in the spare parts bin.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
I just replaced the one on our Maxxfan. It was clicking when closing. This is a common failure part. I purchased two and put one in the spare parts bin.
I should have done the same thing! If you have a spare, the original never fails - that's a rule!
Old 01-07-2021, 10:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Here is an instruction sheet for how to replace it. It's not hard but for some strange reason, MaxxAir doesn't have it on their website.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...structions.pdf
Saved in the personal archive, Thank You!
Old 01-08-2021, 12:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
I wonder if this is only a problem for the auto opening models? I haven't heard of or experienced any problems with this mechanism on our manual opening version (6200K smoke). Part would also apply to the 5100K (white). If I am not mistaken I thought I heard that Escape starting in late 2018 would only provide the manual opening version.

On edit: I see that the parts look very similar for both auto and manual opening versions but have a different part #.
Attached Thumbnails
lift mechanism part numbers.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I wonder if this is only a problem for the auto opening models? I haven't heard of or experienced any problems with this mechanism on our manual opening version (6200K smoke). Part would also apply to the 5100K (white). If I am not mistaken I thought I heard that Escape starting in late 2018 would only provide the manual opening version.

On edit: I see that the parts look very similar for both auto and manual opening versions but have a different part #.
The Maxxfan auto lift versions stop the motor when closing the vent by sensing the high current of the motor going locked rotor when the vent is closed. That puts a lot of stress on the vent operator and causes it to fail by stripping the gears after doing that over and over.

With the manual version, the vent operator would only see that kind of stress if you were to really crank on the knob each time you closed the vent - not likely.

So, this thread is primarily for the owners of the auto lift versions.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
So, this thread is primarily for the owners of the auto lift versions.
That's what I was driving at.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:09 PM   #9

Trailer: None
Thanks for this thread guys.

My 2018 MaxxFan just started this. It has been used very little. I've ordered the operator.

I would gladly convert this unit to the manual type, if practical. In fact, I usually just open the vent manually during storage. I've noticed that any time I disconnect the battery, then re-connect, the vent closes. That's probably the extent of most of it's usage.

For anyone interested, I bought my part from Dyers for $31. Flat rate s/h of $10. https://www.dyersonline.com/maxxair-...mechanism.html

Thanks again.
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 06:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
So it appears that I may be having the issue everyone on here is talking about with their Maxxfans. Started making this noise in the middle of the night while camper was next to our house, just out of the blue, no idea where the noise was even coming from until this morning. We dont need it at the moment but do have a two day trip starting tomorrow then putting it up for the winter. Is there a way to disable the Maxxfan so that it wont try to open all night? In case this continues to happen while we are out camping?
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 08:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.Chadwick View Post
So it appears that I may be having the issue everyone on here is talking about with their Maxxfans. Started making this noise in the middle of the night while camper was next to our house, just out of the blue, no idea where the noise was even coming from until this morning. We dont need it at the moment but do have a two day trip starting tomorrow then putting it up for the winter. Is there a way to disable the Maxxfan so that it wont try to open all night? In case this continues to happen while we are out camping?
Your best bet is to disconnect power. Since the Maxxfan is on a circuit with other items it would be best to just cut the power to the fan IMO. Follow Tdf-Texas' instructions #1-4 in post #1 at the thread below. When you remove the screws in the housing you will also need to remove the one that holds on the black knob which Tom forgot but then shares in post #11.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tor-14667.html