Maxxfan known problem? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2021, 01:27 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
My MaxxFan is the manual hood version. So the only thing that has to function is the dang fan. It's frustrating something so simple has what I think is an enormous amount of failure for many RV owners. If a Fantastic Fan will fit I'll gladly replace the MaxxFan and good riddance to it.
advenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:31 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The source of all evil when it comes to Maxxfan and refrigerators, etc. seems too be LEDs and automation. My Maxxfan has none of that. It just works, manually, but it works. Same with fridge.
Brings to mind the saying, "The more complicated the plumbing becomes, the easier it is to clog up...."
Old 11-25-2021, 04:47 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
.... If a Fantastic Fan will fit I'll gladly replace the MaxxFan and good riddance to it.
It'll fit just fine in the Escape's 'industry standard' cutout, but gee I do like the MaxxFan's built-in rain protection.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:18 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Ahh...if only we could rewind to 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The source of all evil when it comes to Maxxfan and refrigerators, etc. seems too be LEDs and automation. My Maxxfan has none of that. It just works, manually, but it works. Same with fridge.
You may be right.... as rain....but....we're stuck with what we get or are given.
Gimme a stick & a rock. I can do most of everything and nothing at all with those simple tools.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:21 PM   #25

Same as mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
My MaxxFan is the manual hood version. So the only thing that has to function is the dang fan. It's frustrating something so simple has what I think is an enormous amount of failure for many RV owners. If a Fantastic Fan will fit I'll gladly replace the MaxxFan and good riddance to it.
The hood lift mechanism ALSO has to function.....and that is a known weak point. Many paths to failure and frustration. I know.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:02 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
For the lastest version of the Maxxfan control board, your engineer is correct. Maxxfan upgraded several components on the board to be able to handle higher voltages.

For the earlier versions, not really correct. I found several components that were not rated for the trailer operating voltages. I didn't go throught the whole board so there may have been more - one component found was enough to cause it to fail.

If someone owns an earlier version of the Maxxfan control board, it would be a good idea to replace it with the latest rev. or install a voltage regulator.

I did both just to make sure.

Oh, and the conformal coating plus sealing the wire entry hole from the motor to the control board should be mandatory.
Hi tdf-Texas,
My Maxxfan is a manual lift version. I spotted a sale of circuit board on ebay: MaxxAir Ventilation Solutions 10B04301K Roof Vent Control Circuit Board for less than $30. Would you please share the model # of the Control Circuit Board that you installed. Thanks

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:33 AM   #27

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 SD (sold); 2017 Escape 21 due 06/17; Tow 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
The lift mechanism on my fan cover went KAPUT, with no known incident to cause this. Crappy, poorly executed die cast mechanism parts, seen after failure analysis. A rain of die cast bits of zinc when I opened it...while camping. Researching this issue, many others have also experienced the same. To order an exact replacement part.....good luck.....I got July of 2022 for delivery.
BUT....there is a hack. Use the longer drive gear from your broken existing mechanism and put it into the mechanism of an an "auto" open one, easily available, last month, for me......Looks like it will work. Winter here, I haven't completed the project, but others have had success with this hack. Search this and other forums for the details....I don't have them handy right now.

FYI. Any replacement of this mechanism is a PITA. I've been working from the inside, the exterior tack maybe be "duck soup" and easier done. I don't know.

I've long since conformal coated my board. Do so.
These people who design our products, apparently, never use them or think of the issues that could, would, will come up. I throw up my hands! Ejicts! Wankers!
Same thing happened to me. The lift mechanism on my manual Maxxfan failed and shatted with no known cause, apparently while the trailer was in storage. See attached picture.

Ordered a new one from Airxcel which was delivered in about three days. Replacement was a pita job (Airxcel will provide detailed step by step directions if you ask) because of having to move a ladder from side to side to avoid having to get up and work on the roof. Took a few hours working carefully but everything is working fine now. We'll see how it goes - I guess I also have to be alert for the circuit board failure........
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20211128_142915048.jpg  
Tow: 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 4X4
hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
The lift mechanism on my fan cover went KAPUT, with no known incident to cause this. Crappy, poorly executed die cast mechanism parts, seen after failure analysis. A rain of die cast bits of zinc when I opened it...while camping. Researching this issue, many others have also experienced the same. To order an exact replacement part.....good luck.....I got July of 2022 for delivery.
BUT....there is a hack. Use the longer drive gear from your broken existing mechanism and put it into the mechanism of an an "auto" open one, easily available, last month, for me......Looks like it will work. Winter here, I haven't completed the project, but others have had success with this hack. Search this and other forums for the details....I don't have them handy right now.

FYI. Any replacement of this mechanism is a PITA. I've been working from the inside, the exterior tack maybe be "duck soup" and easier done. I don't know.
I started this repair back in November, working from the inside. Next to near impossible to remove the busted mechanism. You're working overhead, in a teensy space, after purposely bending a screwdriver to get to 2 screws, no go, stub Philips were too tall, a small, thin, flat ratchet with bit got access. All the time working with a mirror, and every thing is backwards, and a sore neck. But, I got the mechanism out. No way could I get it back in. I put the rig away for off-site winter storage.

Spring arrived and I got the mechanism in place working from the outside, up on the roof, on top of a 2" thick board of foam. Everything works.

The hack of using the mechanism from an auto open model worked. The manual part was not available, but the auto one was. Simple gear shaft swap using the old shaft and it's all working. Live & learn. A PITA repair, but it's done.
Old 09-10-2023, 10:02 AM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis View Post
Airxcel will provide detailed step by step directions if you ask
This should be it:
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vspf...structions.pdf