Maxxfan Problems - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2019, 01:59 AM   #21

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Anyone that does the regulator install in the fan, please provide pictures, for purposes now and later.

Yes, please!
Old 01-27-2019, 09:27 AM   #22

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Yes, please!
On mine the first 15 amp fuse only did the wetbath light and fan.
The LED light now has its own 12v regulator installed inside the light.

The 2nd 15 amp fuse did all the inside and outside LED lights and the temperature control except the wetbath and kitchen light. It originally also had the awning and for some reason the furnace/dsi on it too. The awning was moved to its own fuse and the furnace/dsi was moved to the correct fuse. I then regulated the whole circuit with a 12amp buck/boost regulator and re-fused for 10 amps. This keeps the majority of the LED lighting and the maxxfan at 12v.

The 3rd 15 amp fuse originally had 2 #14 AWG wires connected to the 15 amp fuse. One wire went to the bed USB/12V outlets and the kitchen fan and LED light and 2 optional wires in the upper cabinets. It also supplies power to the tank level indicators and the water pump and water heater circuits. The second went to the dinette USB /outlets and 2 optional 12v leads in the upper cabinets. These were separated and the dinette USB/outlets and optional 12v wires were moved to their own 15 amp supply. The kitchen LED light now has a 12v regulator installed inside it.

The 4th 15 amp fuse for the furnace/dsi did not have anything attached. The wire went behind the wetbath and stopped. It was removed from the 2nd circuit and new wiring was run from the 4th fuse to the furnace.

The 5th is now a 15 amp fuse for the dinette USB/12v outlets and the optional 2 wires in the upper cabinet .

The 6th is a 15 amp #12 AWG service to the awning.
Per the installation manual for the 9500E awning
http://manuals.dometic.com/download.php?file=2037

Connection to power supply MUST be on a separate (15 A) circuit.
Power supply MUST provide a minimum of 11V dc at awning motor for correct awning operation.
So mine was corrected.

A 12v regulator was added to the water heater. And shortly one will be added to the furnace.

The fridge was fine since it can handle from 9.6v to 18v and the awning is still unknown.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:50 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
The 3rd 15 amp fuse originally had 2 #14 AWG wires connected to the 15 amp fuse. One wire went to the bed USB/12V outlets and the kitchen fan and LED light and 2 optional wires in the upper cabinets. It also supplies power to the tank level indicators and the water pump and water heater circuits. The second went to the dinette USB /outlets and 2 optional 12v leads in the upper cabinets. These were separated and the dinette USB/outlets and optional 12v wires were moved to their own 15 amp supply. The kitchen LED light now has a 12v regulator installed inside it.

The 4th 15 amp fuse for the furnace/dsi did not have anything attached. The wire went behind the wetbath and stopped. It was removed from the 2nd circuit and new wiring was run from the 4th fuse to the furnace.

The 5th is now a 15 amp fuse for the dinette USB/12v outlets and the optional 2 wires in the upper cabinet .

The 6th is a 15 amp #12 AWG service to the awning.
Per the installation manual for the 9500E awning
http://manuals.dometic.com/download.php?file=2037

Connection to power supply MUST be on a separate (15 A) circuit.
Power supply MUST provide a minimum of 11V dc at awning motor for correct awning operation.
So mine was corrected.

A 12v regulator was added to the water heater. And shortly one will be added to the furnace.
Ken, I guess we are skipping one of the issues with the fix that is going on. The wiring in some of our trailers leaves a lot to be desired - a lot of errors slipped by "QC" at the factory. Stuff that should have been on dedicated circuits were bunched up with vent fans, lighting,etc. Wiring abandoned that should have been feeding devices?

I know this issue has been discussed for many years before. Escape is terrible at running wiring

edit: removed beating dead horse emogi. Sorry, Iowa Dave - it was on the list and fit the discussion.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:02 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I thought we weren’t going to use the beating the horse emogee anymore. It offends me.
Moderators?
Iowa Dave
Old 01-27-2019, 11:12 AM   #25

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Maxxfan Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I thought we weren’t going to use the beating the horse emogee anymore. It offends me.
Moderators?
Iowa Dave

Serious question: Are you being serious? I ask because I’m curious which emogi you refer to. One of the weird things about emogis is that they are not consistent across different platforms. Apple emogis are similar, but different than, Android or Microsoft or anyone else’s emogis. For instance, the gun emogi looks like a handgun on some platforms, but Apple decided to use a squirt gun, which can send a very different message. Imagine “Meet me at the park and be sure to bring your gun-emoji.” Are we meeting for a water fight, or a gangster shootout? Anyway, I am sincerely interested in what you see with a dead-horse emoji. The one I think you’re referring to looks like a face-palm on my phone.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:09 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
If your plugged into shore power then the converter’s battery charger section charges your trailer battery and your converter’s regulated power supply section feeds the 12 VDC loads in the trailer . If you are not plugged into shore power then the battery charger section and the 12 VDC power supply are dead and your trailer is being powered solely by the trailer’s battery .
Where does this 13 +, 14 , 15 VDC come from ?
If you are not connected to utility power , you are running your trailer solely on battery power and you have a solar panel pumping 14+VDC into your trailer battery then you are also shoving 14+VDC into the various trailer loads
You could lower the output voltage by adjusting the solar controller but then your battery wouldn’t fully charge
When we camp without utilities and have our solar connected, my meter at various points in the trailer reads DC voltages in the upper 13’s to 14 VDC . If I disconnect the solar and check the DC voltage again it’s in the 12.7 Volt range.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #27

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If your plugged into shore power then the converter’s battery charger section charges your trailer battery and your converter’s regulated power supply section feeds the 12 VDC loads in the trailer . If you are not plugged into shore power then the battery charger section and the 12 VDC power supply are dead and your trailer is being powered solely by the trailer’s battery .
Where does this 13 +, 14 , 15 VDC come from ?
If you are not connected to utility power , you are running your trailer solely on battery power and you have a solar panel pumping 14+VDC into your trailer battery then you are also shoving 14+VDC into the various trailer loads
You could lower the output voltage by adjusting the solar controller but then your battery wouldn’t fully charge
When we camp without utilities and have our solar connected, my meter at various points in the trailer reads DC voltages in the upper 13’s to 14 VDC . If I disconnect the solar and check the DC voltage again it’s in the 12.7 Volt range.
So, what's the take-home hypothesis for now? Does this suggest that one should not run their MaxxFan while a solar panel is pumping a full 14+VDC in to maximize battery charging or risk frying the fan's control panel? Or is that a too simple (or outright wrong) interpretation of what the learned people in this discipline believe is going on here?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
So, what's the take-home hypothesis for now? Does this suggest that one should not run their MaxxFan while a solar panel is pumping a full 14+VDC in to maximize battery charging or risk frying the fan's control panel? Or is that a too simple (or outright wrong) interpretation of what the learned people in this discipline believe is going on here?
My post was more conjecture / a question then a statement of fact
If people are seeing 14VDC at their fan , where is it coming from ?
Old 01-27-2019, 01:28 PM   #29

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
We haven't had any problems with our Maxxfan (going on 2 years now), but then all of our camping so far has been connected to shore power with A/C running when needed during the day and the Maxxfan running gentle exhaust through the night to minimize any overnight moisture condensation. Maybe there will be an answer to this before we start doing any serious boondocking where we'll rely on solar for recharging our battery.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:53 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
We haven't had any problems with our Maxxfan (going on 2 years now), but then all of our camping so far has been connected to shore power with A/C running when needed during the day and the Maxxfan running gentle exhaust through the night to minimize any overnight moisture condensation. Maybe there will be an answer to this before we start doing any serious boondocking where we'll rely on solar for recharging our battery.
Dale, our trailers are the same age - we met at GEH and toured each others trailers. We didn't have any problems with our Maxxfan for the first two years either. We bought the trailer without solar and did most of our camping at parks with electricity.

My wife decided she would like to do the Quartzite rally so I added a MPPT solar controller, solar panels, etc to the trailer. The first time I turned on the Maxxfan while the solar controller was charging at absorption rate (15.3 volts), the Maxxfan control board was gone. So my Maxxfan was ok with 14.4 volts from the converter but died on the solar charger's 15.3.

There is an answer - voltage regulators. I have one installed in the Maxxfan housing and am waiting on the new control board to arrive to finish the job.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:58 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What is the long term impact to the batteries of reducing the solar to 14.5 max? Would that not take care of the issue vs putting band aids on each cut?
Old 01-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #32

Deleted Post
Old 01-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Dale, our trailers are the same age - we met at GEH and toured each others trailers. We didn't have any problems with our Maxxfan for the first two years either. We bought the trailer without solar and did most of our camping at parks with electricity.

My wife decided she would like to do the Quartzite rally so I added a MPPT solar controller, solar panels, etc to the trailer. The first time I turned on the Maxxfan while the solar controller was charging at absorption rate (15.3 volts), the Maxxfan control board was gone. So my Maxxfan was ok with 14.4 volts from the converter but died on the solar charger's 15.3.

There is an answer - voltage regulators. I have one installed in the Maxxfan housing and am waiting on the new control board to arrive to finish the job.
Shouldn’t this issue have been discovered in the design / engineering / wiring stage ?
This same problem / topic has been discussed on other forums going back 5 or 6 years .
It seems unreasonable for the average trailer owner to diagnose the problem , engineer a solution and apply / install the proper equipment
The devices in the trailer ( LED lights , furnace circuit board , refrigerator , roof fan need a regulated source of power . Asking the trailer owner to modify / install a DC regulator on every piece of DC equipment in the trailer seems a rather far stretch IMHO
Old 01-27-2019, 03:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Shouldn’t this issue have been discovered in the design / engineering / wiring stage ?
This same problem / topic has been discussed on other forums going back 5 or 6 years .
It seems unreasonable for the average trailer owner to diagnose the problem , engineer a solution and apply / install the proper equipment
The devices in the trailer ( LED lights , furnace circuit board , refrigerator , roof fan need a regulated source of power . Asking the trailer owner to modify / install a DC regulator on every piece of DC equipment in the trailer seems a rather far stretch IMHO
Yes, Yes, Yes! Welcome to the RV world.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:

See previous post where it is revealed that there was no problem until the owner added solar and his solar controller. I fail to see how a trailer manufacturer should anticipate modifications that create a problem where there wasn't one.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:33 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Anyone that does the regulator install in the fan, please provide pictures, for purposes now and later.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post278183
Old 01-27-2019, 03:37 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
See previous post where it is revealed that there was no problem until the owner added solar and his solar controller. I fail to see how a trailer manufacturer should anticipate modifications that create a problem where there wasn't one.
My trailer has factory installed solar and the fan control board was damaged. I actually fault the fan manufacturer instead of Escape. With more people opting for solar Maxxfan needs to accommodate the higher voltages with an appropriate control board. However, I do feel that Escape could have at least come up with a fix for those of us with the now abandoned 7500k fans.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:48 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Serious question: Are you being serious? I ask because I’m curious which emogi you refer to. One of the weird things about emogis is that they are not consistent across different platforms. Apple emogis are similar, but different than, Android or Microsoft or anyone else’s emogis. For instance, the gun emogi looks like a handgun on some platforms, but Apple decided to use a squirt gun, which can send a very different message. Imagine “Meet me at the park and be sure to bring your gun-emoji.” Are we meeting for a water fight, or a gangster shootout? Anyway, I am sincerely interested in what you see with a dead-horse emoji. The one I think you’re referring to looks like a face-palm on my phone.
I was surprised to see the “ beating a dead horse emoji “ which shows up as a stick whacking an upside down horse over and over. A couple years ago if I remember correctly it was deemed offensive and was eliminated from my Apple phone. It got some folks pretty worked up. I could see why and commented thusly. I really only ever use a couple of the smiley faces myself. I don’t usually use technical or popular shortcut abbreviations because there are a lot of duplicates for misunderstandings depending upon one’s background. To me ADC is animal damage control, quite different from aid to dependent children. My kids are in pretty diverse professions and when they talk to me, conversation is choppy because I have to ask them to translate the abbreviation and then translate the meaning again. Getting old or behind, whatever.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-29-2019, 11:02 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
We experienced a Maxxfan failure on our maiden voyage but haven't dug into it yet. On ours, the power button is inoperative. It is still possible to use with the temperature adjustment buttons but the only way we can truly turn it off is through the main power switch by the dinette. Not sure if that's the same failure that others typically have had.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:18 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
We experienced a Maxxfan failure on our maiden voyage but haven't dug into it yet. On ours, the power button is inoperative. It is still possible to use with the temperature adjustment buttons but the only way we can truly turn it off is through the main power switch by the dinette. Not sure if that's the same failure that others typically have had.
You are still under warranty! The Maxxfan has a two year warranty. Contact Maxxair and have them send you a new control board.
https://www.airxcel.com/maxxair/contact-us