MAXXFan won’t shut down - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2022, 02:04 PM   #1

Trailer: Hoping to buy a FGT
MAXXFan won’t shut down

Help! We are camping with our Casita in Leadville and ready to move on to the Tetons,however we cannot get our MAXXFan casing to close and hence can’t shut down the fan. If it can’t be fixed now, we want to shut it down and manually close the cover. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 02:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Turn off the main 12V switch if you have one inside like an Escape. Otherwise you could disconnect the ground cable from the battery if you don't know which fuse to pull.
Old 08-26-2022, 02:14 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If my memory serves me, you pull down on the screw know and you can manually close it.....
Old 08-26-2022, 02:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If my memory serves me, you pull down on the screw know and you can manually close it.....
Thank you for your reply. Yes, we can almost close the cover manually with that knob, but the fan continues so we will pull the fuse. Thanks
Old 08-26-2022, 02:24 PM   #5

Cpaharley-thank you. Pull the fuse it is! We will deal with replacing the circuit board ( we think that’s the problem) when we get home. Appreciate your help.
Old 08-26-2022, 04:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Before you replace the circuit board try this. Remove the cover and expose the circuit board. You may want to do this now if pulling the fuse has made other items inoperable. You can disconnect the power right at the board.

There have been numerous instances in the past where the problem was moisture related. The circuit board is in a high humidity area. Before you buy a new board try using a hair dryer to warm up and dry the board. I've done this previously and the fan went back to working normally.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0009_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 05:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1 View Post
Help! We are camping with our Casita in Leadville and ready to move on to the Tetons,however we cannot get our MAXXFan casing to close and hence can’t shut down the fan. If it can’t be fixed now, we want to shut it down and manually close the cover. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Like Ron said could be moisture on the PCA. Once you dry it off and if it starts working spray both sides of the board with conformal coating. Make sure you tape off the connectors so you don't get spray on the pins. My 2017 19 started by itself at 2 AM on the wet PNW coast with no way to stop it except pull the fuse. I let it dry out and sprayed it, never had another problem. I have two Maxx fans in my 2021 21C and both have been conformal coated.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 05:54 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
Like Ron said could be moisture on the PCA. Once you dry it off and if it starts working spray both sides of the board with conformal coating. Make sure you tape off the connectors so you don't get spray on the pins. My 2017 19 started by itself at 2 AM on the wet PNW coast with no way to stop it except pull the fuse. I let it dry out and sprayed it, never had another problem. I have two Maxx fans in my 2021 21C and both have been conformal coated.
We had that problem on our spring trip. The Maxx fan started beeping at 2 AM. Couldn't stop it. There is no fuse on the fan itself (unlike the Fantastic Fan on our former Casita), and no separate fuse on the board in the converter. We cranked it down and got it to stop somehow by randomly pushing the buttons.

After that we vowed never to use the Auto button again, as I believe that circuit was at fault. We're heading out next week, so we'll see. If necessary, I'll open it up and pull the wires.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:37 PM   #9

Quote:
I let it dry out and sprayed it, never had another problem. I have two Maxx fans in my 2021 21C and both have been conformal coated.
I know that the popular wisdom is to coat it with conformal. My brother-in-law, who's a fairly bright electrical engineer holding patents for VOIP etc, had some precautionary advice about what not to coat. I never did coat mine and it's been going almost 3 years without any further problem. At the first sign of a problem I'll be reaching for a heat gun.

Ron
Old 08-26-2022, 06:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I know that the popular wisdom is to coat it with conformal. My brother-in-law, who's a fairly bright electrical engineer holding patents for VOIP etc, had some precautionary advice about what not to coat. I never did coat mine and it's been going almost 3 years without any further problem. At the first sign of a problem I'll be reaching for a heat gun.

Ron
Worked for me so people can decide on which way to go..spray or not to spray
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:21 PM   #11

With an Escape all you need to do to fix some glitches by doing a reset while it's malfunctioning is simply turn off- then on 12V in trailer with the Master switch. Usually it is located on the face of the dinette near the WFCO converter. Lot easier than getting on your hands and knees to pull the fuse.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:34 PM   #12

Thank you all. Good advice. We will pull the fuse for traveling purposes and reinsert when we get to next camping area (fuse controls 3 interior lights and CO sector so we don’t want to leave it out). When we get home we will dry it out and play with it before ordering. As usual, this Escape Forum rocks!
Old 08-26-2022, 09:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Worked for me so people can decide on which way to go..spray or not to spray
For sure, but I'd say first try drying it out. If that works then they can decide if they want to go to the work of removing it and coating it.

In my case it's working and has been for almost 3 years. If it happens again I'd definitely remove it and coat it.

Ron
Old 08-27-2022, 06:40 PM   #14

Maxx Fan Deluxe problem Continued

Thank you to all who responded to my post concerning the Maxx fan in our 2018 Casita.
My husband pulled the fuse and the fan stopped and so we were able to close the cover. ( Otherwise the cover wouldn’t close completely, made a clicking sound and fan wouldn’t power off. So, fuse pulled, fan off, cover closed. We were able to drive to next site.

Next problem: with the fuse pulled, the little green light stays on and it beeps. Continually. All day while driving. We can’t hear it, but would be nice to shut it off. AndBTW-when we put the fuse back in- same problem with the clicking-but we can just keep the fan running while we are camping. No problem there we hope.
I’ll be ordering a new circuit board so that it’s there when we get home in two weeks.
In summary-how can we either stop the beeping with the fuse pulled while traveling, or
Close up the fan and keep it powered off with the fuse in ( fuse powers 3interior lights and CO monitor). Thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:22 PM   #15

If that green light is on you probably didnt pull the right fuse. Do Casitas have a battery disconnect switch? If not, I would disconnect the ground cable from the house battery- then reconnect.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:03 PM   #16

Okay. We will try the disconnect from the battery. Pulling the fuse shut down the fan, but initiated the bleeping green light.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:36 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1 View Post
Okay. We will try the disconnect from the battery. Pulling the fuse shut down the fan, but initiated the bleeping green light.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Or get a Fantastic Fan. Our Casita came with one, and it worked fine. I did have to buy a rain cover, though, and it was made by Maxx. No weird 'automatic' circuitry to bedevil us, though.