Measuring Solar Panel Charging Rate - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Remarkable. In less than 12 hours all have you have come to my assistance with education, explanation, and other relevant information. Many thanks to every one of you!
Being homeschooled here?
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Rita says
Mobile Home Schooled
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #23

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
We're back in Canada after 6 weeks hiking/biking/rafting in Utah & Wyoming (fabulous trip -- more posting soon/elsewhere in forum!) with our solar panel & inverter installed at ETI just before our trip.

Solar panel performed flawlessly, except we're noticing the following strange behaviour. Advice requested & appreciated. Using the "standard" ETI-installed GoPower controller -- and adding at this time the oft-mentioned Trimetric or equivalent monitor for another $200 will be a tough sell after the cost of the solar & inverter!

Battery is usually fully-charged by approx 10 - 11 AM each day. And "loses" power all during remainder of day, despite being in full unshaded sunlight. Would usually be down to around 50% by bedtime, despite using no power during the day?

To my untrained (in these matters!) mind, this suggests either something draining the batteries during the day (but we're not using anything!) or the batteries not holding their charge. Am I right?

On Reace's advice, checked the batteries with a hydrometer, and all six cells (dual 6-volt batteries) are showing specific gravity around 1.25 - but I have no idea how to "interpret" that.

Is it time to buy new batteries? Batteries are ~ 4 years old.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:18 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerl View Post
We're back in Canada after 6 weeks hiking/biking/rafting in Utah & Wyoming (fabulous trip -- more posting soon/elsewhere in forum!) with our solar panel & inverter installed at ETI just before our trip.

Solar panel performed flawlessly, except we're noticing the following strange behaviour. Advice requested & appreciated. Using the "standard" ETI-installed GoPower controller -- and adding at this time the oft-mentioned Trimetric or equivalent monitor for another $200 will be a tough sell after the cost of the solar & inverter!

Battery is usually fully-charged by approx 10 - 11 AM each day. And "loses" power all during remainder of day, despite being in full unshaded sunlight. Would usually be down to around 50% by bedtime, despite using no power during the day?

To my untrained (in these matters!) mind, this suggests either something draining the batteries during the day (but we're not using anything!) or the batteries not holding their charge. Am I right?

On Reace's advice, checked the batteries with a hydrometer, and all six cells (dual 6-volt batteries) are showing specific gravity around 1.25 - but I have no idea how to "interpret" that.

I'm interested to find out what it is.......

now following the thread...

Good luck -

but lots of wise people here. You'll get answers fast.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:34 PM   #25

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I'm currently following a thread on another forum about the exact same issue with the same controller. The OP in that thread is waiting for an amp meter to verify the individual trailer components usage. What are you seeing that's telling you you are losing charge during the day? How are you checking?

As far as reading a Hydrometer... You want all cells to read pretty much the same, if one is bad it'll be a good deal lower then the rest. 1.25 is good.
Attached Thumbnails
hydrometer.jpg  
Old 10-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #26

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Any body have thoughts re drag effecting MPGs and or impacts on roof maintenance and integrity (over the long haul) r/t having fixed solar panels vs. portables? I keep going back and forth on my plans for having panels installed with trailer purchase, or having portable(s) available as needed.
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
Any body have thoughts re drag effecting MPGs and or impacts on roof maintenance and integrity (over the long haul) r/t having fixed solar panels vs. portables?
I can't help with MPGs or drag but I do know I'm awfully glad to have the fixed roof panel for all seasons except winter so I'm not dragging () them around with me and horsing around hooking them up. And I'm glad to have the additional portable panel for the winter season.

I don't know what r/t means.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I'm awfully glad to have the fixed roof panel for all seasons except winter so I'm not dragging () them around with me and horsing around hooking them up.
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I don't know what r/t means.
I was stumped too. I think it means "rather than".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2016, 08:34 PM   #29

Sorry. Too used to abbreviating at work. r/t was meant to be "related to".
Old 10-02-2016, 08:42 PM   #30

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I'll take a crack at the mpg.

The panel is roughly 1.5" by 60", or .6 sf. On my trailer it's behind the roof AC, so about 50% of the panel profile is actually exposed, or about .3sf. The trailer is something like 9'x7.25' or 65.25 sf.

65.25 sf vs 65.55 sf.
I lose 4 mpg when towing, leaving me at 13.5.

I'll leave the math up to someone better at it then me, but it sure looks pretty insignificant. YMMV of course.

I agree with Karen and Robert, fixed is the way to go, adding a portable if you do winters without hookups
Old 10-02-2016, 08:46 PM   #31

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurerl View Post

Sometimes a simple volt meter can answer your question. Once my batteries have been charged by the panel the voltage still remains above 13 volts even as the sun fades. It stays there until the surface charge is taken off by the first use of a load such as the water pump or a light. Then the true battery voltage is visible, usually 12.7 volts. There is no way the battery voltage will drop down to 50% etc. if no heavy load is being used.

A meter like this is about 5 bucks on ebay. I'd recommend using one of this type or a hand held multi-meter to independently check what's happening with your batteries.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
13-10-2014 2-02-06 PM1_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote