Mirror to view and check propane tanks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2018, 12:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Mirror to view and check propane tanks

I am sure I am not the only one to think of this - I use a mirror to view the red/green slot for whether one of the dual propane tanks is empty. The first couple of times we pulled off the cover. Duh. Also, we did neat little duct tape sections on the propane tank cover as even pointed backwards they will flip off if not tightened down. We walked back a half mile or so to find ours.....

Isn't it the little things?

Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Yes, that’s been working for me. Also, in addition to changing direction of cover, add a couple of zip locks to keep from losing the cover. There add a short bungee cord on the bottom to make sure you don’t lose the whole cover. And last, but not least, the cost of a new cover is not that high. So when the cover gets really nasty, replace it. (Just remember to replace the hardware that comes with it with SS.)
Old 10-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I drilled a 1" round observation hole in the cover front....by the jack head
Old 10-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Yea, I use a 2" inspection mirror. Also useful to check the settings on my inverter since the location it is mounted in a 21 with the "U" shaped dinette make it difficult to see the end of it.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We lost the inspection / access flip cover for our propane tanks so I purchased a new cover .
I put a jam nut and rod coupling on the 3/8” threaded rod that holds the regulator in place , drilled a 7/16” hole in the flip cover and put a 3/8” bolt & flat washer thru the hole in the flip cover and screwed it into the 3/8” rod coupling . The bolt locks the tank and flip cover firmly in place .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:19 PM   #6

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We lost the inspection / access flip cover for our propane tanks so I purchased a new cover .
I put a jam nut and rod coupling on the 3/8” threaded rod that holds the regulator in place , drilled a 7/16” hole in the flip cover and put a 3/8” bolt & flat washer thru the hole in the flip cover and screwed it into the 3/8” rod coupling . The bolt locks the tank and flip cover firmly in place .

If I am ever at a rally you are at I'll give you 2 UV resistant tie wraps and a small bungee cord to fix up the next propane cover after this one gets marked up to much. Been passing those and little velcro pieces out for awhile now.
And show you the fancy piece of bent and folded steel I made to slow someone down when they try to steal our propane tanks.
Notice I said slow down. All of my anti theft attempts are just that. Keep semi honest people honest.
I subscribe to the theory if it takes to much effort they will move to an easier target.
And if you are not looking I might drop a sack of key lines on your picnic table. That's my version of trying to get rid of the zucchini.

All the orange and other citrus died when greening hit but the Key limes are doing fine. We had a bumper crop this year.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I guess I'm an outlier, but I throw the propane tank cover in the bed of our truck while travelling then place it over the tanks for aesthetics as part of our set-up. The "bare" tanks are protected by the truck while travelling, and I haven't discovered any damage or excess road grime. But then most of our travel is on asphalt roads.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
If I am ever at a rally you are at I'll give you 2 UV resistant tie wraps and a small bungee cord to fix up the next propane cover after this one gets marked up to much. Been passing those and little velcro pieces out for awhile now.
And show you the fancy piece of bent and folded steel I made to slow someone down when they try to steal our propane tanks.
Notice I said slow down. All of my anti theft attempts are just that. Keep semi honest people honest.
I subscribe to the theory if it takes to much effort they will move to an easier target.
And if you are not looking I might drop a sack of key lines on your picnic table. That's my version of trying to get rid of the zucchini.

All the orange and other citrus died when greening hit but the Key limes are doing fine. We had a bumper crop this year.
I already have 2 UV resistant tyraps on my propane access door but thank you for your kind offer .
Attached Thumbnails
5820AF7B-9358-47B8-A0F5-17BA95485E85.jpg  
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:14 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
that red/green valve thingie has never flipped on either of my two dual tank trailers. it goes through one tank, then the other, so the valve is working, but the indicator has never done anything meaningful. both have different versions of the dual tank regulator, too.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:42 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post

Yes please to both! We have to get to a rally one of these days to see all the cool mods and tips!
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I added a window:
Escape Trailer Owners Community - dfandrews's Album: 17A Mods - Picture
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
that is a good idea .....
Old 10-25-2018, 03:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Mine automatically tells me I'm out of fuel when the fridge, stove and furnace all shut down.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:15 PM   #14

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I got one of those angled round mirrors from my dentist. Works great!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:22 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I carry a mechanics inspection mirror in my toolkit, something like this...

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:17 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Mine automatically tells me I'm out of fuel when the fridge, stove and furnace all shut down.
I had my Escape 17 do that at Desert View Campground at the Grand Canyon. While it was mid May, it was 34°F out. Nearest propane 30 miles away. 2" of snow on the road. Not the best indicator!
Old 11-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I had my Escape 17 do that at Desert View Campground at the Grand Canyon. While it was mid May, it was 34°F out. Nearest propane 30 miles away. 2" of snow on the road. Not the best indicator!
I use that same method - when something quits working I must be out! But I always make sure one tank is always full. My tanks seem to last forever.

I had no idea the propane cover flying off was a thing. Mine seems to be pretty secure nestled between the tongue jack and storage box. One thing I didn't know I needed to worry about so I think I will forget I knew this now.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
I use that same method - when something quits working I must be out! But I always make sure one tank is always full. My tanks seem to last forever.

I had no idea the propane cover flying off was a thing. Mine seems to be pretty secure nestled between the tongue jack and storage box. One thing I didn't know I needed to worry about so I think I will forget I knew this now.
Yup, it’s a thing, but it was just (for us) the mini cover on top that just gives access to the valves. Gonna get an angled inspection mirror to check the propane. Already being more diligent to keep the two black plastic nuts screwed down tight.
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:40 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17A
Dental mirror

I bought a long-handled (standard) dental mirror for a buck or two at WalMart.

I lift the propane tank cover’s hinged top panel and insert the mirror until it is positioned in front of the green/red indicator, which is not directly visible from the open panel. The handle is long enough for the mirror to reach the position to reflect the green or red.

If it is somewhat dark inside the tank cover, I shine my phone’s “flashlight” inside the tank cover toward the back side of the indicator. The phone’s flashlight casts enough reflected light off the inner surface of the tank cover to illuminate the green/red indicator and make it visible in the mirror.

This works fine for me. It is a simple and inexpensive way of checking whether the tank toward which the flip lever is pointing has run empty and the feed has automatically switched over to the other (full) tank.
GlennT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:50 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I just take the tanks cover off. It's really simple.