Moisture Problem in Escape fifth Wheel 5.0 TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21
Question Moisture Problem in Escape fifth Wheel 5.0 TA

Dear Escape owners,

We are considering whether to buy a tow-behind or a fifth wheel 5.0 TA Escape. We were watching videos on You Tube in which people raised a concern about moisture in 5.0 TA Escape Fifth Wheel sleeping area. We wonder if anyone else has experienced this and what they are doing to address it? Has anyone figured out the cause of it? Hopefully there is a solution for the problem?

Thanks kindly.
Salt and Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Condensation happens on all campers, in the 5.0TA you get some at the head of the bed in the right/wrong conditions. We just pull the pillows down a tad. I suppose if you were a bit shorter then me you could have a custom mattress made so there would be a couple inches space between the mattress and the front wall of the trailer.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
It may also depend on where you live and how humid it is there. We live out West where it is quite dry. We do get a little build up but it leaves about as soon as we get up.

We have several different ways to deal with it including a small dehumidifier but so far no need. The later into the shoulder seasons you camp, the more it may be a problem. If you live in an arid environment, it will be a lot less.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Its also possible that they are breathing while they sleep, emitting moisture all night long. Crack a window, run a fan, or stop breathing.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt and Pepper View Post
Dear Escape owners,

We are considering whether to buy a tow-behind or a fifth wheel 5.0 TA Escape. We were watching videos on You Tube in which people raised a concern about moisture in 5.0 TA Escape Fifth Wheel sleeping area. We wonder if anyone else has experienced this and what they are doing to address it? Has anyone figured out the cause of it? Hopefully there is a solution for the problem?

Thanks kindly.
Hi: Salt and Pepper... The easiest solution is not to breathe. Next to doing that we dropped a cheap pool noodle between the end of the mattress and the nose of the trailer. That allows the space to remain open, as the mattress tends to inch forward as you stop and tow!!! Leaving the MaxxFan lid open while camping allows the moist air to escape also. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:25 PM   #6

Thank you for your suggestion, Bob.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #7

Thank you for your answer. We appreciate it!!
Old 08-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #8

Hey Escape artist,
We are practicing our "Not breathing" right now and it is not going well! We will probably opt for the pool noodle solution. thanks very much. Salt and Pepper
Old 08-28-2020, 02:44 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I realize being a solo traveler, there's only half as much breathing going on in the loft than with a couple. But, I always, always open the egress vent over the bed at night. Just a crack is enough if it's cold or raining. No rain doesn't come in, but it does mitigate moisture. Since my mattress isn't on the floor, I can't comment on what others have done for any moisture issues there.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
With the carpeting under the mattress we get no condensation underneath, just at the head.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt and Pepper View Post
Dear Escape owners,

Thanks kindly.
We've only noticed moisture in our trailer once, that was at the head of the bed where it was touching and in sub 20 degree weather. We took Alf's advice and put a pool noodle there. I put in 2" pool noodle. We've haven't been out in that cold since so can't say for sure, but the noodle is doing it's job providing a gap between the mattress and the wall.

Thanks for the tip Alf!
Old 08-28-2020, 04:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I live in Florida where there is no humidity. Yea, right. I despise humidity and the cold, clammy feeling that accompanies it. As a result of my affliction, I have a Peltier type (non compressor) dehumidifier (made by Ecoseb) that stays in the trailer and I set it under the dinette whenever I’m in a campsite. It does run on 120vac so shore power is needed. Even when conditions are favorable for condensation formation, I have never had moisture anywhere in my trailer. If I didn’t have shore power, I would do as Donna does, crack open the “escape hatch.”
Old 08-30-2020, 01:37 PM   #13

That sounds like a good solution and it is working for you obviously. We will investigate this type of dehumidifier further and thanks so much for your thoughtful and experienced wisdom.

Tags
fifth wheel 5.0 ta, moisture problem