More RM8551 problems - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
More RM8551 problems

Yesterday before leaving for a trip, I tried the 3 modes (120V,12V,LP) on the fridge to make sure they all worked. Of course, not all did- the propane mode immediately causes the fridge to beep and flash the alert and propane indicators. Did the usual troubleshooting making sure the gas was on and cleaning out the small pinhole/burner with compressed air. Nothing worked.

I've had the problem where the fridge fails to light a flame in the past, which can be observed by listening/seeing the 3 attempts, and getting an alert after about 5-10m. But this is different- the alert flashed immediately after switching from battery or shore to LP. If I press the alert button to reset, the alert comes back within 5 seconds. Has anyone had this issue before, or know how I could troubleshoot it?

My model unfortunately has the "gas control module" somewhere at the back top of the unit (rather than next to the gas valve), where I can't access/check that all the connections are good. And of course, it worked fine last I tried LP, about 3 weeks ago, after blowing out the burner a bit. Even took it to a local dealer just so they can say "we have no idea".

Any help/advice is appreciated!
Gillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Can you ascertain a beep code, sometimes combined with light codes?

Does the unit cool in the electric mode while connected to shore power?

That is enough for starters.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:39 PM   #3

It cools well with both shore/120V and battery/12V.

I counted 31 beeps while both the propane and alert lights flashed. Seemed too many to be a fault code, but I also couldn't find anywhere to look it up.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:04 PM   #4

For anyone else looking for the installation manual for the escape-specific RM855X- this one:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...QZ6gZqTEPZ_zfr

shows the control electronics in the correct place near the top-middle of the rear of the unit. Sadly it doesn't include error codes.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:18 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
If I had a fancy auto changeover fridge with control boards that is the first thing I would suspect when having issues. You might want to look into replacements by Dinosaur Electronics. You may need to call them or give them the part number on the board for proper selection for the RM8551.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...dge-15682.html
Old 07-17-2020, 07:32 AM   #6

I have uploaded the service mannual for the RM8xxx Series of Dometic refrigeritors. It is located in the files section.

RM8xxx Series
Old 07-17-2020, 07:41 AM   #7

I would guess that you have a failed eyebrow board. Been there, with my similar unit. A technician diagnosed and repaired my unit, but first replaced the main board. Did not solve the problem. It was a second board, the eyebrow. Out the door it cost me a bit over $1,100.

It appears the only method to diagnose is to replace the board.

A good suggestion to look into the Dinosaur products. They were not a known option when I had the problem. If I recall Dometic had to fabricate the board, they were not in stock. Something in the $400 range and some exorbitant shipping fee.

I hope for you it is something else.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian View Post
Yesterday before leaving for a trip, I tried the 3 modes (120V,12V,LP) on the fridge to make sure they all worked. Of course, not all did- the propane mode immediately causes the fridge to beep and flash the alert and propane indicators. Did the usual troubleshooting making sure the gas was on and cleaning out the small pinhole/burner with compressed air. Nothing worked.

I've had the problem where the fridge fails to light a flame in the past, which can be observed by listening/seeing the 3 attempts, and getting an alert after about 5-10m. But this is different- the alert flashed immediately after switching from battery or shore to LP. If I press the alert button to reset, the alert comes back within 5 seconds. Has anyone had this issue before, or know how I could troubleshoot it?

My model unfortunately has the "gas control module" somewhere at the back top of the unit (rather than next to the gas valve), where I can't access/check that all the connections are good. And of course, it worked fine last I tried LP, about 3 weeks ago, after blowing out the burner a bit. Even took it to a local dealer just so they can say "we have no idea".

Any help/advice is appreciated!
I have had trouble with my 8555 the eyebrow board gets condensation on the back side when using it when it is really humid. It seems like if I make sure the frame heater cycles every once in a while that this helps keep it dry. I also try to wipe down the frame of fridge and freezer each time I open it to remove condensation. My fridge will start cycling on and off as the contacts on the back of the board get wet and kind of short out....what a pain!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:55 AM   #9

There are other sources on this forum. These refrigerators have had lots of postings. For instance there is a reset button accessed from the outside hatch. Also heat sensor that controls the cooling fans. I would do a search for "Dometic RM" since they are all similar. Dometic calls them the RM8xxx Series but no one uses that term.

Here is a recent thread.

Tags
8551, dometic, propane, rm8551