Mystery items with 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2022, 07:42 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Mystery items with 5.0

Greetings Forum Friends,

I recently picked up my new 5.0 (my first ever trailer), & have managed to figure out most of the basics. However, a couple of items were included which remain a mystery to me. In the pic below, are 2 lug wrenches, neither of which fit on the wheel lug nuts (a friend identified the 2 smaller items as unused sink parts). I'm thinking that one of them is for the the power jacks should they fail - maybe the shorter gold one? A dopey question, but there you are.

Hope that everyone here is well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1634.jpg  

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 07:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 21C
I do not have a 5.0 but I do recognize the longer "wrench" as a stabilizer jack crank handle. perhaps there are stabilizers at the rear underside of the trailer attached to the frame. The shorter of the two looks like the spare manual crank for a power jack. I'm sure someone with a 5.0 will be along shortly for a more definite answer.
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:31 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb-72 View Post
... the longer "wrench" as a stabilizer jack crank handle. .... there are stabilizers at the rear underside of the trailer attached to the frame. The shorter of the two (is) the spare manual crank for a power jack.
This is the correct explanation.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Pittsburgh View Post
Greetings Forum Friends,
I'm thinking that one of them is for the the power jacks should they fail - maybe the shorter gold one?
You are correct. The smaller crank is used to manually raise or lower the power jacks on the front of the trailer. It fits onto the top of the jack located inside the front corners of your trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
storage3.1.jpg  
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 11:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
The shorter "wrench" is in case the power jacks don't work, you can manually raise the front of the trailer to connect or disconnect to tow vehicle.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:16 PM   #6
Site Team

Does anyone know what size socket is needed for the power jacks? I DIDN'T receive the wrench with my 5.0TA and seriously haven't even thought about it until just now. I'd rather use the racket I have (with extension), but need to know if I have the correct socket... (knock on wood, I never need it). TIA
Old 12-03-2022, 01:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Does anyone know what size socket is needed for the power jacks?
3/4"

(19mm should also suffice)
Old 12-03-2022, 01:06 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
3/4"
Alan, PERFECT. Now I'm all set.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Alan, PERFECT. Now I'm all set.
No worries, I suggest a 6-point socket if available, and hold that thought of never needing it.

I did a 2-turns 'test' on mine - not an exercise I recommend with the trailer weight bearing on the jacks, whether using the provided crank or a long-handled ratchet wrench.

Having undertaken that 'test' .... if I were stuck in a bind I'd use my truck jack to lift under the trailer frame to hitch-up (or un-hitch) and then retract (or extend) the recalcitrant trailer jacks manually when they're not 'loaded' with the trailer weight.

Just for your consideration.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:24 PM   #10

Alan,
I was wondering if you could elaborate on why you would support the weight of your trailer with the truck jack prior to manually cranking on the trailer power jacks.
I'm not that familiar with the workings of the power jacks and thought the manual crank would be a direct mechanical linkage to the jacking mechanism similar to a manual jack.
TIA
Old 12-03-2022, 04:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaweb View Post
Alan,
I was wondering if you could elaborate on why you would support the weight of your trailer with the truck jack prior to manually cranking on the trailer power jacks.
It's simply a matter of the trailer jacks being substantially difficult to turn when they are bearing the weight of the trailer - they're much easier to turn when not loaded with the trailer weight.

This may not be so much of an issue with other than the Escape 5.0 (e.g. a trailer with the jack in the open on the tongue), but given the awkward and confined access available for manually operating the jacks in the 5.0 I know I don't want to make that any more difficult than it actually needs to be, thus would use the procedure I describe.

Note that all of this is hopefully a relatively unlikely circumstance ..... unless one suffers loss of power (or internal failure) to both 5.0 jacks concurrently and which cannot be readily resolved, you can in a pinch lift the trailer with only one of the two jacks operating (and more easily manually crank the unloaded jack).

Just for fun sometime at your leisure you might want to remove the storage compartment panel in your 5.0 and give operating a jack manually a try .... it might be enlightening
Old 12-03-2022, 04:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Get a bunch of the onlookers wondering what and why you are hand cracking your jacks to go sit in the back of the trailer. 4 or 5 hundred pounds of flesh in rear might help lighten the load on the front and you won’t have to listen to their comments.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 05:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
I just love this group! Not only did you give me the answers & quickly, but complete descriptions & even a picture. Then some helpful related discussion ensued and was topped off with a humorous suggestion. Thanks everyone, you da best!

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 05:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

Just for fun sometime at your leisure you might want to remove the storage compartment panel in your 5.0 and give operating a jack manually a try .... it might be enlightening
Already tried it. I gave the jacks the "2-turns test" with the hand crank when I had the panels off for a storage expansion project. I agree the task is awkward at best and not something I would want to do very often.
Thanks for the explanation and the suggestion of a way to make the task easier.
Old 12-04-2022, 12:03 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Is there enough clearance to get a cordless impact drill in there?
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 01:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
Is there enough clearance to get a cordless impact drill in there?
I haven't really tried that but I think there would be plenty of room if you were inclined to use that method.
It's amazing how much wasted space is in the front of these fifth wheel trailers.
Old 12-14-2022, 10:30 AM   #17

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA
Good afternoon Lorraine,
you are correct. The gold coloured wrench is for the power jacks if they were to fail. The other wrench is for your rear stabilizers on the trailer. The rear stabilizers are located underneath the trailer, mounted to the trailer between the rear bumper and the rear tires. You can lower or raise the stabilizers at your campsite or driveway. We use ours often. Happy Campin, take care.
Lammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 05:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Here is a handy Harbor Freight item (#HF-62491) that, combined with a 1/2" drive adapter for my 18 Volt impact gun, gets used frequently for stuff like what's being discussed.
Attached Thumbnails
HF 62491.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote