Napoleon TravelQ 285 quick connect hose adapter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2022, 05:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Napoleon TravelQ 285 quick connect hose adapter

I just got a Napoleon TravelQ 285 that I want to connect to the trailer quick connect. My issue is that I need what appears to be 1/4" to 3/8" male/male adapter to connect the grill to the quick connect hose. I tried my local Home Depot and Rona (Canadian store) and found an adapter that is 1/4 to 3/8 but the threads are incorrect. I know it sounds rather specific but has anyone else used their Napoleon Grill with their quick connect (or is there someone who knows gas connections)? If so, can you tell me what the adapter is and/or where you got it? Hoping such a thing exists.

Or maybe there's another solution? I can use a standalone tank but was really hoping to be able to hook the grill up to the trailer tanks.
JeffinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Propane Depot was recommended to me.

https://propanedepot.ca

Plan a visit myself.

I did get the Napoleon kit which came a 6 ft hose.
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I have the same grill and had planned on hooking it up to the quick connect'

The problem I run into is you have to remove the regulator from the grill and once you do that there is nothing supporting the metal flex hose on the grill.
They do sell a hose that will hook to the regulator of the grill and direct to a propane tank ,But this cant be hooked to the quick connect as it would result in two regulators. I ended up getting refillable 1 pound tanks and love them. The whole reason I got the quick connect was for the grill. Now that i been using portable tanks I love them. I would not want to be tied to only one place to put the grill. My next trailer will not have the quick connect . maybe some day i use it But it very hard to hook to this grill. You could also get a 11lb tank just for the grill.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:45 PM   #4

With the kit I purchased, It came with a bracket that had me remove the regulator and I can now hook up to RV Quick Connect. Currently the 6' hose is screw on at the Barbecue and I plan to replace with longer hose and quick connect at barbecue. The bracket is pretty rock solid and allows brass connectors of choice.

Part# 66287 Napoleon RV Adaptor Kit TQ285/PRO285

https://www.napoleon.com/en/ca/barbe...ptor-kit-66287

Doesn't show bracket but it is included.
Old 03-19-2022, 09:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinVan View Post
With the kit I purchased, It came with a bracket that had me remove the regulator and I can now hook up to RV Quick Connect. Currently the 6' hose is screw on at the Barbecue and I plan to replace with longer hose and quick connect at barbecue. The bracket is pretty rock solid and allows brass connectors of choice.

Doesn't show bracket but it is included.

That's nice to know it comes with the bracket. oddly I called them on this same kit and was told it was for existing RV propane tanks only.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 09:04 PM   #6

Yes, it then uses the RV Propane tanks and regulator via the quick connect by the door steps.
Old 03-20-2022, 12:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinVan View Post
Yes, it then uses the RV Propane tanks and regulator via the quick connect by the door steps.
Thank you, Mark. Looks like that’s what I need.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 Wildwood 26DBUD
Anyone have instructions on connecting a quick connect hose to the Napoleon 285? Hose I purchased does not fit in place of the regulator and the only other point I can see is behind the controls but that looks like a nuisance to get at.
Billd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billd View Post
Anyone have instructions on connecting a quick connect hose to the Napoleon 285? Hose I purchased does not fit in place of the regulator and the only other point I can see is behind the controls but that looks like a nuisance to get at.
Hi Bill. Did you purchase the Napoleon-specific RV quick connect adaptor kit? It contains a fitting that is next to impossible to find elsewhere (not shown in the picture linked below but it comes with the kit.) It's still it bit of a chore to assemble but works well.

Also, your trailer shows as a 2022 Wildwood. Are you an Escape owner? Just wondering as you might also find assistance in the Forest River forums as well.

Old 05-25-2022, 01:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billd View Post
You'll need to purchase the kit from Napoleon.

The link doesn't show the bracket and necessary brass fittings but they are included.

The link isn't working now so I'd contact Napoleon, they are pretty responsive.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I saw the Napoleon kit in a store (Canadian Tire), and had a look.

The kit which I saw was labelled as Napoleon Caravan Connection Kit, and identified the manufacturer or supplier as "Wolf Steel". It was marked with "TQ285 / PRO285 / TQ285X*", which are apparently the compatible grill models.

First the good news...
While the Napoleon website image shows a strange quick-connect fitting on one end of the hose, the hose in the kit appeared to have a normal quick-connect which would be compatible with the outlet on an Escape.
While the other end of the hose in the Napoleon website image looked to me might it not be a normal 3/8" SAE flare swivel, the hose in the kit did appear to have this common fitting.

So the good news is that a common quick-connect to flare hose would work, and can be easily obtained without this specific kit.

Now the bad news...
as JeffinBC and MarkinVan explained, the kit also contains additional fittings and brackets (at least two brass fittings and one steel bracket). I couldn't see the fittings well enough through the packaging to determine what they were, but it's apparent that if you try to convert this stove by just removing the regulator and screwing on the hose, at the very least the hose components will not be properly supported, if the connection can be made at all.

The Napoleon website listing for the kit is lacking in details, but I found the manual:
N415-0327.pdf
The kit replaces the regulator and regulator bracket, which is why it includes a new bracket. One of the fittings is a bulkhead connector, which is a male-to-male flare fitting that is held in the bracket by a nut - that fitting would be reasonably available if it is the same SAE flare on both ends, but the bracket would need to be custom fabricated, and a bracket is absolutely required because the manifold flex hose will not support the supply hose.

The manual shows the manifold flex hose which was disconnected from the regulator being directly connected to the bulkhead fitting, so there is only one fitting (and the bracket and nut), but the kit I saw had two fittings, and neither was just a typical flare-to-flare bulkhead fitting. In the manual, the manifold flex hose side of the fitting appears to be smaller than the 3/8" SAE flare side, so this is presumably the impossible-to-find fitting that JeffinBC mentioned.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 2022 21NE
Long shot, but has anyone tried using the RV conversion kit for the smaller TravelQ 2225? I know it says only for the 285 but... thought I'd ask.
Crazypill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazypill View Post
Long shot, but has anyone tried using the RV conversion kit for the smaller TravelQ 2225? I know it says only for the 285 but... thought I'd ask.
I would call Napoleon Customer Service, I found them very helpful and concerned about satisfaction.