Need advice - Insurance while trailer in storage at Escape Industries - NJ Resident - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #21
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am missing something here, and even reread things. If you take possession when you send in the final payment, and insurance will only start then, why would you not be covered? Insurance companies from the US cover their clients in Canada all the time.

All I have ever done with any insurance, is to call my broker, give them the VIN, set my coverage, and I have the pink slip from them via email shortly. A paper one follows in the mail.
This is how our insurance dealt with our trailer, but they told "ichrisdr" that they don't insure in Canada, unlike our agent. We were told we were not insured in Mexico only. I think it depends on which agent you speak with on what response you receive. I don't understand this industry....
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I didn't even think that one would start insurance until the manufacturer delivered the product. Until they drop it on your hitch in WA it would seem it's their trailer. If the driver taking it to Sumas wrecked it's under the drivers policy. While it is a wonderful gesture, I was always wondering why ETI would take the liability of storing completed but undelivered trailers. At the minimum they should have attorney draft a storage agreement that spells out they are putting liability on the buyer if storing and you must maintain insurance. I'm not even sure that would release them completely from liability, but I'm not a lawyer or legal type.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #23

Trailer: Used to own a 17B and a 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am missing something here, and even reread things. If you take possession when you send in the final payment, and insurance will only start then, why would you not be covered? Insurance companies from the US cover their clients in Canada all the time.

All I have ever done with any insurance, is to call my broker, give them the VIN, set my coverage, and I have the pink slip from them via email shortly. A paper one follows in the mail.
I don't take possession until I physically pick it up in Washington. I own it but don't physically possess it when I make final payment. Once I have it attached to my truck then it is insured. I called my insurance company multiple times to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
ichrisdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Have you discussed with ETI?
Old 12-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
See post #1
Old 12-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Yup a couple of times and they told me to post the question on here. I'm going to call them back now.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichrisdr View Post
I don't take possession until I physically pick it up in Washington. I own it but don't physically possess it when I make final payment. Once I have it attached to my truck then it is insured. I called my insurance company multiple times to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
Hi: ichrisdr... In our case the trailer was finished in Apr. and we picked it up in June. I let ETI use it for show and made final payment in person when we arrived to get it... pink Ins. slip in hand!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #28
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichrisdr View Post
Hmmm. When sought insurance, we found some carriers insured the trailer as a part of our truck. So, if our vehicle is detached from the trailer and something happens to our trailer, it won't be insured.

We purchased a policy that stands along and detached from our vehicle. This is way too confusing.

Let us know how this ends for you!
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The way I understand the insurance, it is covered under your auto/truck liability part since it is towed by that vehicle. If it becomes un attached and does damage your policy covers such. Separate comprehensive/theft covers damage to it while unattached. Just my .02$ worth.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #30

Depends on jurisdiction. I carry separate liability insurance ( $3 million ) on the trailer, and comprehensive, collision, etc.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Chris, just curious. Did you try Good Sam insurance. Since they are in the RV insurance business, they may have a different approach. It wouldn't hurt to give them a call.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Hello, from Bc. Canada. I use to own my own collision repair business and according to our laws here as long we had the vehicle (or trailer) in our possession the business is responsible for it. It should apply for ETI also !!
hermenator01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Chris, just curious. Did you try Good Sam insurance. Since they are in the RV insurance business, they may have a different approach. It wouldn't hurt to give them a call.
I just called Good Sam Insurance and they said none of the insurance companies that they work with will insure a trailer while stored in Canada. If you are traveling to Canada then it would be covered but it must be in your possession.

Quote:
You could try a Canadian insurance company. ETI sends many people to:
Hub International Barton in Chilliwack.
You might give them a call 604 792 4116
I called Hub International and I am waiting for a call back.

I am also waiting to hear back from State Farm.

Farm Bureau doesn't have any agents near me.

I also sent another email to ETI.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermenator01 View Post
Hello, from Bc. Canada. I use to own my own collision repair business and according to our laws here as long we had the vehicle (or trailer) in our possession the business is responsible for it. It should apply for ETI also !!
Thanks.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Maybe things have changed? Either that or we didn't understand liability in 2014. Our Escape was finished in February 2014 and we didn't pick it up until June. Final payment was made before February. We didn't insure it until June, when we took possession. I thought at the time that Tammy said we didn't need to.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #36

I would want to talk to Tammy in case new front staff just doesn't know.
And, if you tell Tammy they can use it as a demo that could work too.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Maybe things have changed? Either that or we didn't understand liability in 2014. Our Escape was finished in February 2014 and we didn't pick it up until June. Final payment was made before February. We didn't insure it until June, when we took possession. I thought at the time that Tammy said we didn't need to.
Quote:
I would want to talk to Tammy in case new front staff just doesn't know.
And, if you tell Tammy they can use it as a demo that could work too.
I sent a follow up email to ETI earlier today and I just called to speak to Tammy but she is out until Monday. This doesn't make sense and hope the person I spoke to at ETI is wrong because after speaking with numerous insurance companies it is pretty clear that I can't get insurance. I will post up again when I can speak to Tammy.

Thanks again to everyone who has chimed in!
Old 12-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #38

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Why don't you just make the final payment when you pick it up? Even if you only owe $5. It seems that would take care of any insurance and liability issue?
LoriH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:43 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
One other alternative would be to have ETI deliver it for storage in the U.S., perhaps at one of the campgrounds around Sumas. This isn't as ideal as storing it at ETI, but if it's in the U.S. You could get the insurance. You could even fly out for delivery and spend a night or two in it before it moves to storage.

If I recall, I just called the agent with the vin number and added it to the policy when I made final payment. I also got the plates about the same time just so it was registered, insured and titled to me. I wasn't thinking too much about the insurance not being valid as some have mentioned but rather wanted to secure my ownership in case anything happened to ETI. Just in case, I didn't want something unregistered sitting on their lot.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:06 AM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
One question that to me is of tantamount importance which hasn't been asked pertains to those who have had their trailers stored at ETI for a few months prior to pickup. How many completed/stored trailers have been stolen, damaged, or destroyed while in ETI's possession awaiting owner pickup? And if obtaining valid insurance for a US resident's property in Canada IS NOT POSSIBLE, perhaps ETI could obtain coverage as a "storage facility" and pass the cost along to those who use it. I do not believe Reace and Tammy are the type of people who would "throw their customers under a bus" or "hang them out to dry."
Another question that would come into play here. If I were to go to Canada with my trailer, set up in a legitimate campground, and then take a 3 day cruise or visit friends overnight, is the trailer technically "in storage." Insurance companies will try to deny any and all claims. To borrow one company's current ad campaign: If you're an insurance company, that's what you do." I wonder if that is carried over into other forms of insurance? Sorry, your husband died while you were in Canada so his life insurance policy is not valid.