Need good ideas of how to use medicine cabinet - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2021, 10:15 PM   #21

Trailer: 21C 2023. Previous 2019 17B
We use simple Commando Hooks & elastic bands. Very stylish as you can change the colour of the elastics!
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:17 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
Looks good. How thick do you think that plexiglass is? Love the "vintage" bandage box.
Hi: mcdonner... Seems it's no "Band aid solution"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #23

Trailer: Purchased Escape 5.0 TA Feb 13 2020
Same here). Personally, this cabinet NEEDS A BUILT IN LOCK! For $40,000 plus RV I think a QUALITY med cab is a great idea, but I use a short black rubber bungee, I purchased xtra)
GeorgeDoesIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:33 AM   #24

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
My cabinet latches very securely, but the only thing I store in it is a dry, folded shower curtain. We don't like the curtain hanging there all the time and we store it until we use it and dry it afterwards. I should probably store my first aid kit in there too, as it would be easy to get to there. I will do that today.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:05 AM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
It does seem like the medicine cabinet was an afterthought.

Seems that way to me.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:17 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDoesIt View Post
Same here). Personally, this cabinet NEEDS A BUILT IN LOCK! For $40,000 plus RV I think a QUALITY med cab is a great idea, but I use a short black rubber bungee, I purchased xtra)

We must be lucky. We have 2017 19 and the medicine cabinet door latches very, very securely. I have never had it open and I really can't imagine that happening with how securely it snaps shut.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:28 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
We must be lucky. We have 2017 19 and the medicine cabinet door latches very, very securely. I have never had it open and I really can't imagine that happening with how securely it snaps shut.
Same here with my 2017 21. Wonder if they changed the latch?
Old 03-24-2021, 02:07 PM   #28

Quote:

Ours now snaps into place too. I just pushed in on the compression clip and it does hold better.

I will install plexi-glass guards next week. I just put in an ipe floor.
Attached Thumbnails
ipe floor.jpg  
Old 03-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #29

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
MY cabinet did latch very securely. Oddly when i removed it and reinstalled it upside down it does not seem to be very secure . I have not caulked it in yet so I plan to take another look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Ours now snaps into place too. I just pushed in on the compression clip and it does hold better.

I will install plexi-glass guards next week. I just put in an ipe floor.

I like that floor
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:52 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
The floor looks perfect. Would you provide some details on how you created this? We've been thing of doing something similar in our 19. Thanks
Old 03-25-2021, 06:27 AM   #31

Man, you guys want all my secrets. Okay!

I started with this (see link) and then took my Makita chop saw to it and re did it. You cannot find this wood easily, so this is a good idea and cheap ($35, now it is ten bucks more). It is actually quite nice and I did everything right except one chop. I even put a loop handle on it so we can pull it up and mess with the drain. The nylon loop cushions the ipe wood from the fiberglass too. Bonus.

Note: Ipe wood is EXTREMELY DENSE (forgive my shouting) and I had one bit sheer off because the wood grabbed it. You must pre drill this wood or it will split. Clean it with Teak oil.

The floor is heavy and will not move. It raises the floor height about one inch, a little more. It is nice to stand on and I am confident with it. My wife likes it too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DeckWise...ord=WM33354998
Old 03-25-2021, 07:37 AM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Man, you guys want all my secrets. Okay!

I started with this (see link) and then took my Makita chop saw to it and re did it. You cannot find this wood easily, so this is a good idea and cheap ($35, now it is ten bucks more). It is actually quite nice and I did everything right except one chop. I even put a loop handle on it so we can pull it up and mess with the drain. The nylon loop cushions the ipe wood from the fiberglass too. Bonus.

Note: Ipe wood is EXTREMELY DENSE (forgive my shouting) and I had one bit sheer off because the wood grabbed it. You must pre drill this wood or it will split. Clean it with Teak oil.

The floor is heavy and will not move. It raises the floor height about one inch, a little more. It is nice to stand on and I am confident with it. My wife likes it too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DeckWise...ord=WM33354998

Thanks for sharing you secret. You say it is heavy. Do you know how much it weights?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:03 AM   #33

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Here is a link to a previous post on the same subject. To cussion my bathroom floor I used screw on rubber feet. https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ods-19485.html
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:35 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Thanks for sharing you secret. You say it is heavy. Do you know how much it weights?

It weighs 19.68 pounds.

It is really Rmitch's idea. Notice how these things just keep coming around?

Thanks for the idea!
Old 03-25-2021, 02:44 PM   #35

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
You are welcome. Very nice job!!
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:29 AM   #36

Trailer: 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Ours also closes quite firmly but we do the same thing - we have one of those spring bars long enough to go across the entire washroom and position it in front of the medicine cabinet door across roughly the center of it and make sure its real snug, works great and we have our medicine cabinet really loaded up!

Should also mention that we broke our original mirror soon after we purchased our trailer and the replacement we got is somewhat thicker (thinnest we could find) and quite a bit heavier; that's why we place the spring bar in front of the mirror for security - 7 years bad luck is enough!!
We just broke our mirror too, it's pretty flimsy. May I ask what you used as a replacement? I have the 5.0 but assume they are all very similar.
DaveBukacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:58 PM   #37

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Thumbs up Tension rods rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I use the small tension rods inside the cabinet to keep stuff from falling when i open the door- mentioned above. So far they hold perfectly -4 years. Also my door has never opened on its own. i use a larger tension rod along side the toilet holds my toilet brush /container and other cleaning supplies works great. Not so much luck with my suction cup towel bar seems to fall off.

I ordered some generic ones from Amazon - I just measured the cabinet to make sure I got the right size. Works like a charm!

I did put small stuff like bandaids, etc in ziplock bags to keep them restrained but the tension rods.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:26 PM   #38

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBukacek View Post
We just broke our mirror too, it's pretty flimsy. May I ask what you used as a replacement? I have the 5.0 but assume they are all very similar.
I broke my medicine cabinet mirror very early in ownership. I grabbed it by the lower corner when opening it and it put enough stress on it to break!
Took the door to a glass shop. They recommended a mirror with a reinforced back (no idea what they called it). It wasn't cheap, but the medicine cabinet door is very sturdy now.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #39

Trailer: 2021 21C
So we just received our new 21C. My brother in law met the transportation company at the designated location for pick-up and brought it to his home. I picked up from his home the next day. While inspecting the inside I noticed the medicine cabinet was open. Turns out there is no latching mechanism for the glass door. I took the mirror off for the ride home so It would not get broken. I of course called ETI the next day and have not heard back. I will call again today. Seems like a very cheap medicine cabinet.....
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:54 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb-72 View Post
So we just received our new 21C. I will call again today. Seems like a very cheap medicine cabinet.....
I can't help but agree. I have put up plexiglass walls, to some success. They still pop open. Right now I am going to try compression sticks, like in the refer.

The whole medicine box is very poorly thought out and less than functional. My door still opens by itself from time to time. This is an important box too. When on the road, no one wants to feel sick or like they do not have the proper medicine, when needed.

It seems like it should be deeper, hold more, not let things move around and have a very secure latch. How hard is that?

Scratching my head on this one.