Need good ideas of how to use medicine cabinet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2021, 03:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Need good ideas of how to use medicine cabinet

So we have the usual medicine cabinet in our 5.0ta.

I find that every time I store something in there, like an electric razor or a box of pain patches, they end up on the floor sooner or later.

Sometime in transit, the door opens and anything in there comes out. There are no little round spaces to hold compression rods and I do not see a door latch anywhere. The little compression clip does not hold the door shut.

Presently we are not using this valuable space because nothing is safe there.

Anyone have any good ideas of how to secure this door and keep things inside?
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I cut some strips of very thin clear plexiglass and affixed to the shelf sides/front with double stick tape, creates a ledge in front so things don't come tumbling out when you open the door. Hard to see in these photos since the plastic is clear. Some very thin aluminum bar stock could be used the same way. I've seen others use a very small bungee or elastic cord with small eye hooks into the sides.

We have never had a problem with the door popping open, the latch on ours catches very solidly.
Attached Thumbnails
Medicine cabinet 1.jpg   Medicine cabinet 2.jpg  
Old 03-07-2021, 04:16 PM   #3
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Hey Uncle Tim,

Our medicine cabinet seems to have a solid latch. When we close it, it shuts firmly in place and so far, (knock on wood) it always stays closed during travel. Maybe you just need a new latch?? One like this maybe?? https://www.amazon.com/Amerock-143-D...T5V01R6HKBPKMM

In regards to the items falling out, we purchased these little spring bars: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Refrige...5154126&sr=8-3.
These are simple but effective in keeping all our stuff from falling out when opening the door. Best of luck with this! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 17B
I’m not familiar with the 5.0 bathroom layout but I use that little fridge spring bar on the outside of the medicine cabinet between the two walls when traveling. It fits perfectly and holds tightly...no more spilled contents.
Calicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post

I find that every time I store something in there, like an electric razor or a box of pain patches, they end up on the floor sooner or later.

Sometime in transit, the door opens and anything in there comes out. There are no little round spaces to hold compression rods and I do not see a door latch anywhere. The little compression clip does not hold the door shut.

Ours never opened in transit but the first opening after travel things fell out the first time we opened the door.

We've had great results using small bungees and I think the little stretch makes putting things in or taking them out easy.

The only problem I have had with the medicine cabinet is that I broke the mirror. I was grabbing the lower corner to open it and that wasn't the best practice. The "stronger" mirror the glass place sold me has been fine. I still seem to want to grab that lower corner, but this mirror takes the abuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Medicine Cabinet PXL_20201228_201159892.jpg  
Old 03-08-2021, 08:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

Hi: UncleTim... Ya...Take 2 Aspirins and call me in the morning!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:06 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
After having the stuff inside fall out multiple times when I first opened the door after driving, I pop riveted a piece of clear 1" sheet rock corner protector to each shelf. You could also use VHB tape...
Attached Thumbnails
_JRV1857.jpg   _JRV1859.jpg  
Old 03-08-2021, 10:30 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Ours never opened in transit but the first opening after travel things fell out the first time we opened the door.

We've had great results using small bungees and I think the little stretch makes putting things in or taking them out easy.

The only problem I have had with the medicine cabinet is that I broke the mirror. I was grabbing the lower corner to open it and that wasn't the best practice. The "stronger" mirror the glass place sold me has been fine. I still seem to want to grab that lower corner, but this mirror takes the abuse.

I like this solution.

Was there any issue when you drilled your very small holes? My wife LOVED your Velcro solution for the shower curtain. Thanks for that.

I also like the plexiglass and double sided tape solution. You guys are clever.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:35 AM   #9

Quote:
I like this solution.

Was there any issue when you drilled your very small holes? My wife LOVED your Velcro solution for the shower curtain. Thanks for that.
No problem with the drilled holes, I made this mod early on and have used the trailer 2 years now with lots of miles.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:05 AM   #10

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I cut some strips of very thin clear plexiglass and affixed to the shelf sides/front with double stick tape, creates a ledge in front so things don't come tumbling out when you open the door. Hard to see in these photos since the plastic is clear. Some very thin aluminum bar stock could be used the same way. I've seen others use a very small bungee or elastic cord with small eye hooks into the sides.

We have never had a problem with the door popping open, the latch on ours catches very solidly.
Exactly what I did. Perfect solution.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Timing of the tread is perfect as i just finished mine today. I also reversed it so the door does not hit the shower current while closing.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210308_121459.jpg  
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #12

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Timing of the tread is perfect as i just finished mine today. I also reversed it so the door does not hit the shower current while closing.

Good to hear! We're tired of the shower curtain constantly going out when opening the door and being in the way when closing. When we get home that cabinet will be reversed!

Thanks,

Perry
Old 03-08-2021, 02:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I use the small tension rods inside the cabinet to keep stuff from falling when i open the door- mentioned above. So far they hold perfectly -4 years. Also my door has never opened on its own. i use a larger tension rod along side the toilet holds my toilet brush /container and other cleaning supplies works great. Not so much luck with my suction cup towel bar seems to fall off.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Looks good. How thick do you think that plexiglass is? Love the "vintage" bandage box.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:01 AM   #15

Trailer: 2020 21C
I would like to know how long you cut each strip please. I’m guessing edge to edge but we don’t have our trailer yet so can’t measure and would like to have them cut and ready.
randynjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21', Maple Interior, previous 2015 Escape 19'
I have purchased small expanding bars (available at Gander) and placed them in the medicine cabinet. That took care of all of the spillage. Drove over 11,000 miles in 2019 and never had a problem, except when I forgot to put them back after a layover of several days.

I have the same type of bars, only longer, that I use in the refrigerator, and in some of the storage cabinets to protect against sudden stops and shifting contents.
bjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:55 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I got mine from Camco.
Attached Thumbnails
barred - 1.jpg  
Old 03-17-2021, 06:21 PM   #18

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by randynjill View Post
I would like to know how long you cut each strip please. I’m guessing edge to edge but we don’t have our trailer yet so can’t measure and would like to have them cut and ready.
I cut 2 strips of 1/8” polycarbonate 2” x 14 1/4”. I cut one strip 1” x 14 1/4”. Fastened in place with 3m VHB clear tape. Used polycarbonate in lieu of plexiglass as it’s stronger and will not chip when cut.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicia View Post
I’m not familiar with the 5.0 bathroom layout but I use that little fridge spring bar on the outside of the medicine cabinet between the two walls when traveling. It fits perfectly and holds tightly...no more spilled contents.
Ours also closes quite firmly but we do the same thing - we have one of those spring bars long enough to go across the entire washroom and position it in front of the medicine cabinet door across roughly the center of it and make sure its real snug, works great and we have our medicine cabinet really loaded up!

Should also mention that we broke our original mirror soon after we purchased our trailer and the replacement we got is somewhat thicker (thinnest we could find) and quite a bit heavier; that's why we place the spring bar in front of the mirror for security - 7 years bad luck is enough!!
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:20 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Should also mention that we broke our original mirror soon after we purchased our trailer and the replacement we got is somewhat thicker (thinnest we could find) and quite a bit heavier;

You can buy plexiglass mirrors. They are light weight and won't break. Mine is held up with double-sided tape ( 12 years now ).
Attached Thumbnails
mirror.jpg