New 21 A/C experiment Honda 2000i - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
New 21 A/C experiment Honda 2000i

Honda 2000i started & ran the A/C with hardly a burp compared to the unit I had on my Casita. Did the trial 5 times for 2 days and no problem at 700 ft elevation.

I did have to turn the EMS system off to make it work as it detected an open ground - I didn't jumper the frame and generator together electrically.

Good news for boondocking hot places!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Honda 2000i started & ran the A/C with hardly a burp compared to the unit I had on my Casita. Did the trial 5 times for 2 days and no problem at 700 ft elevation.

I did have to turn the EMS system off to make it work as it detected an open ground - I didn't jumper the frame and generator together electrically.

Is there a reason you couldn't ground the trailer frame and the generator?
Old 09-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I have been looking at both the Honda 2000i generator at 47 lbs. and their eu3000 at 77 lbs. As we plan to do a lot of boondocking, noise and weight are an important consideration. I assumed it would take at least 3000 watts to run the air and I forgot to ask ETI this as I had so many questions. Should have taken a list. Anyway that is very good news as you can invest over $2500 in a quality generator. Tractors, I think we missed you by one day at ETI so enjoy the new toy and get it figured out. For us, it's 11 more months. Also figure something out so the generator doesn't disappear. Anyone have any ideas? Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #4

Hey,

My Plan is to only have the gen out when in use when not back in the truck. I do not know if this is worth anything http://www.amazon.com/Honda-Generato.../dp/B003YM950C as it just beefs up the handle so you can put a chain through it to the frame of the trailer. With it chained it would stop the grab and go but not some one intent for very long. I have seen several folks with custom enclosures built on the bumper for storage.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
Is there a reason you couldn't ground the trailer frame and the generator?
Yup, because I'm lazy. The EMS is for unknown power protection, when you turn it off you still have surge suppression.

When I'm boondocking I don't need the EMS active.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 09-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I have been looking at both the Honda 2000i generator at 47 lbs. and their eu3000 at 77 lbs. As we plan to do a lot of boondocking, noise and weight are an important consideration. I assumed it would take at least 3000 watts to run the air and I forgot to ask ETI this as I had so many questions. Should have taken a list. Anyway that is very good news as you can invest over $2500 in a quality generator. Tractors, I think we missed you by one day at ETI so enjoy the new toy and get it figured out. For us, it's 11 more months. Also figure something out so the generator doesn't disappear. Anyone have any ideas? Loren
I have a hard cover over the bed of my truck - not a canopy. When it's closed one cannot see the generator. When I do run it I just leave it in the truck bed with the tailgate down and the cover down - less noise to disturb my camping neighbors.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 09-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Hey,

My Plan is to only have the gen out when in use when not back in the truck. I do not know if this is worth anything Amazon.com : Honda Generator EU2000i Theft Deterrent Bracket : Generator Accessories : Patio, Lawn & Garden as it just beefs up the handle so you can put a chain through it to the frame of the trailer. With it chained it would stop the grab and go but not some one intent for very long. I have seen several folks with custom enclosures built on the bumper for storage.

Cypher
Another way to secure the EU2000i:

LowPro LockDown security mount system for Honda EU2000i generator
Old 09-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Don't need no AC and especially no generator in hot weather...

This portable hot tub could change the way you go camping - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Don't need no AC and especially no generator in hot weather...

This portable hot tub could change the way you go camping - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego

And here we go again !! ROFLMAO

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Honda now makes the 2000ia model that has a 30 amp recepticle. Sounds like a perfect fit for my up coming 5.0TA.

Doug
Old 09-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
And here we go again !! ROFLMAO

Cypher
Yup. Now he's in hot water.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:37 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:

Charlie,

Do you have the standard AC that escape is putting on the 21? Our pickup is the 29th!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:33 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I remember ETI putting a soft start capacitor kit in the 11,500btu units a couple of years ago, perhaps they are standard now. This will enable the 2000 watt units to operate the a/c.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:04 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Charlie,

Do you have the standard AC that escape is putting on the 21? Our pickup is the 29th!
Yes, regular version with the digital thermostat. Cycled on/off with no problems.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 09-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #15

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
Quote:

Your trailer and generator ground should be connected through the cord. Your trailer converter chasis should be bonded to the trailer frame too. My Honda EU2000I has a earth lug that can be attached to a ground rod or plumbing pipe to provide a path to ground.

Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Grounding the generator won't fix the EMS problem. Most EMS look for the ground/neutral bond that is usually made at the service entrance (or an on board generator) to determine that there is a good ground. Since small 120V generators are not required to bond the ground to the neutral (technically, they don't have a neutral) the EMS thinks there is an open ground & shuts off. In a small, 120V generator, it is acceptable (and OK with the NEC) to use the frame of the generator as the ground but not connect it to the neutral.

While there are a number of solutions, the easiest thing to do is to make up a bonding plug (attach a piece of wire between the neutral (silver screw) and ground (green screw) in a male connector) & plug it into one side of the receptacle on the generator.

As to whether a small 120V generator should be bonded, that is an argument that goes on forever. In many ways, an unbonded generator is safer than one that has a bond. If you want some useful facts, check out this PDF.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Honda now makes the 2000ia model that has a 30 amp recepticle. Sounds like a perfect fit for my up coming 5.0TA.

Doug
Doug,
I have a 2 year old Honda 2000 "Companion" model generator. It is meant to pair with a EU2000i which gives 30a capability. It has a 30a labeled receptacle which confuses people into thinking it can put out 30 amps on its own. It can't do that.
The one you speak of may be different than mine. I have never tried to run the AC on just one generator, but it works perfectly with the 2 paralleled. Also it is a lot easier to move two 2000 watt generators than one 3500.
Russ
Old 09-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Grounding the generator won't fix the EMS problem. Most EMS look for the ground/neutral bond that is usually made at the service entrance (or an on board generator) to determine that there is a good ground. Since small 120V generators are not required to bond the ground to the neutral (technically, they don't have a neutral) the EMS thinks there is an open ground & shuts off. In a small, 120V generator, it is acceptable (and OK with the NEC) to use the frame of the generator as the ground but not connect it to the neutral.

While there are a number of solutions, the easiest thing to do is to make up a bonding plug (attach a piece of wire between the neutral (silver screw) and ground (green screw) in a male connector) & plug it into one side of the receptacle on the generator.

As to whether a small 120V generator should be bonded, that is an argument that goes on forever. In many ways, an unbonded generator is safer than one that has a bond. If you want some useful facts, check out this PDF.
Jon,
Thanks for that information. I was unaware that the little generators were not bonded ground to neutral. I do know that building codes do not want sub panels bonded. Just the main service entrance bonds.
Russ
Old 09-16-2014, 08:33 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Your trailer and generator ground should be connected through the cord. Your trailer converter chasis should be bonded to the trailer frame too. My Honda EU2000I has a earth lug that can be attached to a ground rod or plumbing pipe to provide a path to ground.

Russ
Yup, I thought the cord should have provided a common ground. Tried a different cord. Same result. Tried old cord to house poer and no open ground. A bit of a puzzle, but nonetheless the generator will run the AC, which is all I really needed to know right now. Can sort out the details the 2nd week of ownership.....

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 09-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Jon,
Thanks for that information. I was unaware that the little generators were not bonded ground to neutral. I do know that building codes do not want sub panels bonded. Just the main service entrance bonds.
Russ
Perfect.
I just went through a lot of rigamaroll to bond a sub panel because the electrical inspector noted it on the report for my insurance company. If you can't believe the professional, who can you believe?
No matter. I got the signatures and got my house insurance renewed.