New 21Ne Fridge won't cool - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2021, 10:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 21NE
New 21Ne Fridge won't cool

Getting our 21NE ready for its first time out and I can't get the fridge to cool. Lights are on, screen shows electric plug because I am plugged in and I even switch it to Auto and still nothing happens. I disconnected the thermistor and still nothing so not a bad thermistor. What am I doing wrong? It's a Norcold fridge but all indicators are go but just doesn't seem to want to cool.
Bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
The fridge is an absorption fridge, not a compressor fridge, so there is no motor or any moving part (other than liquid & gas) that makes any kind of sound. It takes a fair bit of time to cool down from room temperature. Electric operation takes longer than gas operation because, ironically, it depends on a loop that operates by being heated, and propane is more efficient heating than electricity.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I agree with Sherm that it takes time for the refrigerator to cool. His description of them is spot on; they make no noise. I somewhat disagree with the statement that propane is faster, at least in my Dometic. On 120 vac, it is generally close to operating temperature within 5-6 hours of startup. You need to plug it in at least 12 hours ahead of time (on 120 vac or propane).

Moving the thermistor will do nothing to hasten cooling down. If the refrigerator, when cool, isn’t staying cool enough for your preference, relocating the thermistor from the cooling fins may solve the problem by “confusing” the refrigerator into thinking it isn’t cool enough, thereby applying heat to the refrigerant for longer periods of time. The refrigerant, not being driven by a compressor, circulates only by convection currents, which are caused by heat being applied to the closed system that contains the refrigerant. And the refrigerant is not Freon, it is, from my understanding, ammonia based.

If you start it on 120 vac, be patient. If it doesn’t get cold after 12 hours, try starting it on propane, you may have a problem on the 120 vac side. If it still doesn’t get cold on propane, then something is definitely wrong with the refrigerator. Are you sure the 120 vac breaker is on? These refrigerators require 12 vac to operate, and the lights are likely powered by 12 vdc. Also look in the refrigerator compartment from the outside. The refrigerator should be plugged into an outlet (out of immediate sight) above the hatch opening.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
Getting our 21NE ready for its first time out and I can't get the fridge to cool. Lights are on, screen shows electric plug because I am plugged in and I even switch it to Auto and still nothing happens. I disconnected the thermistor and still nothing so not a bad thermistor. What am I doing wrong? It's a Norcold fridge but all indicators are go but just doesn't seem to want to cool.
Hi: Bluesky... Fill the icecube tray with water, place it in the freezer and leave the fridge on 120V over night and see if you get ice cubes in the am. Might take a full 24 hrs. to make ice. These fridges are slow to cool down but once cold work well IMHO!!! Alf
On edit... check the plug in via the service door on the side of the trailer. sometimes they can become unplugged!!!
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030917.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
And be sure it's relatively level.
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:06 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I agree with Sherm that it takes time for the refrigerator to cool. His description of them is spot on; they make no noise. I somewhat disagree with the statement that propane is faster, at least in my Dometic. On 120 vac, it is generally close to operating temperature within 5-6 hours of startup. You need to plug it in at least 12 hours ahead of time (on 120 vac or propane).
I should have left out the part about propane cooling faster, as I don't really know that - I have never done any kind of experiment to confirm one way or the other. I am just repeating something I have read several times, and may well just be adding to one of many myths that are abundant in the RV world. I should do better.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
And be sure it's relatively level.
This fixed it... Thank you very much.
Bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote