New Awning Warp - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
New Awning Warp

Walt and I are out camping with some friends last week at a state park. We are invited over for dominoes during a very light rain drizzle. We put our awning out knowing that it is suppose to have this automatic watershed feature and that a light rain in not a problem.
4 hours later we return to find that the watershed feature did not drain off the rear side of the awning like it shows in the manual. It pooled in a large bowl shape across from the front door.
After pushing the water out the vinyl is somewhat stretched and the whole awing is now cock-eyed, leaning down on the right side and up to far on the left. With a some help we managed to get it back into the holder for travel.
Any body else have this problem
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is not an automatic watershed feature, it just runs off when partially deployed. There is an automatic closing feature for high winds, but deploying the awning in the rain has been discussed in other threads and the consensus is to only deploy maybe 50% and you should not have any issues. Also it is a reminder to check your batteries in your auto retract, they are replaceable.
I think any awning stretching or expansion will dissipate over time as long as the arms are not bent.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 17
Im sure glad you could get it rolled up to get home. There is Brenda(blhvet) and Tisiphone's bent awning arms .post 59 two links.

Brenda(blhvet) and Tisiphone what was the outcome of your awning bent arms?

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...tml#post213568
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #4

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There is not an automatic watershed feature, it just runs off when partially deployed. There is an automatic closing feature for high winds, but deploying the awning in the rain has been discussed in other threads and the consensus is to only deploy maybe 50% and you should not have any issues. Also it is a reminder to check your batteries in your auto retract, they are replaceable.
I think any awning stretching or expansion will dissipate over time as long as the arms are not bent.

Here's a screen print off the Dometic website.
Notice the wording? Automatic rain shed, wind sensor.
I do not have my manual with me but I seem to remember it also says so in it. But I think it also had weasel wording a few pages later that made it sound like what they consider rain we would consider to be fog.
Attached Thumbnails
awning.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #5

Shedding rain or on my Lance it was called dump, the weight was supposed to activate the arms to lower. I do not think the Dometic arms have the capacity to lower themselves to dump the water as the joint in the arm is horizontal vs vertical as in the Lance. In the Lance awning the arms are attached to the trailer side and have a preset limit before they let go and the water dumps. The Dometic would need to have an universal type attachment at the trailer (which it does not have) in order to dump any water at a preset limit. The Dometic use of shedding works when the awning is 50% retracted and the water bends the arms enough to dump the water by gravity, nothing in the awning itself is activated. The only activation available is the wind sensor.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
So that manual image says it makes it "easy" to drain the water. It does not say that water is automatically drained by itself, just that it makes it easy to do so. As opposed to the wording of the automatic wind retraction feature.

yes, I understand, weasel wording, or splitting hairs.

But it is interesting that Dometic has worded the wind feature differently than the wording for the rain feature. I wonder what "feature" it is about the awning that Dometic has designed in that satisfies this rain feature? What about the awning, in their mind, makes it easy to drain the water? Because I think everyone with actual field experience with rain and this awning would agree that there is nothing "automatic" about rain draining off. It definitely collects in the fabric and sags.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Page 4 of the Dometic Operating Instructions- Type 9500E MODEL 201(LL) (CC).003 (#)

"This awing is designed with a water shed feature that automatically lowers one side of awning during light rain to allow water run off. The water shed feature is meant for light rain only"
Then it shows a picture of water running off the rear lead rail"
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #8

Yes, the weight of the water will cause the entire arm to drop until the water runs off, but there is nothing electrical or magic, just basic gravity at work. But to prevent pooling in the middle, the arms need to be retracted partially.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19’
I have been asking lots of questions on this, as my 19' is ready March 22 2018. Below is the response from ETI. I do hope domestic comes up with an adjustable sliding arm that allows manual pitch adjustment. I would prefer this over an automatic wind feature.

"A little more information on the electric awning. The awning is supposed to have a rain dumping system however, in our opinion it does not work. Which is why we have created a decal advising customers to close the awning when not in use avoiding damage if the rain pools. Dometic is aware of this problem and is working on the adjustment of the awning."
Sowen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Again, mind boggled that you can buy a trailer for near 40 k and cant get an awning you can use in light rain.
Maybe Ill keep my **** box pop up afterall.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
Again, mind boggled that you can buy a trailer for near 40 k and cant get an awning you can use in light rain.
There's no reason one cannot use it in light or heavy rain. Just use common sense and never leave an open awning unattended. Period. We never did in years and years of camping even before all this hullabaloo about automatic retractions.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I used it but only deployed it half way no issues
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:58 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I also bring it in when unattended just like I did with the manual one it's just easyer to bring in/deploy
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I went to a big RV show this past Sat and noticed that most all the power awnings seemed to have a fairly steep slope when they were extended, unlike the Escape which doesn’t have much slope. At RV shows last year the steep slope didn’t seem to be present. The slope setting can be changed to a couple of settings, but Dometic says has to be done by authorized center. Maybe these RV manufacturers are learning from the shortcomings of these awnings and setting the max slope on the awnings at the factory which would allow the rain to run off.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I went to a big RV show this past Sat and noticed that most all the power awnings seemed to have a fairly steep slope when they were extended, unlike the Escape which doesn’t have much slope. At RV shows last year the steep slope didn’t seem to be present. The slope setting can be changed to a couple of settings, but Dometic says has to be done by authorized center. Maybe these RV manufacturers are learning from the shortcomings of these awnings and setting the max slope on the awnings at the factory which would allow the rain to run off.
Greg: I think you are on to something. I'll bet many of the larger RV's have the awning mounted higher over the door. Escape doesn't have that luxury based on the mold and thus may have limitations on the max slope. This is especially true on the 17 based on pictures. The Dometic 9500 awning manual says this:

"b. Avoid location that interferes with entry door swing when awning is completely extended.
Note: Awning is factory preset for a 5° fabric slope, but it may be adjusted for a 15° slope. Allow for sufficient clearance to accommodate awning pitch (slope). For a 22′′ entry door, the approximate clearance should be 2 1/2′′ for 5° slope, and 6 1/2′′ for 15° slope."
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #16

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
If I was to order a new trailer tomorrow There is NO way it would have one of those Piece of crap Awnings on it . I'd rather string up a tarp . Sounds like there not worth the trouble .
And after two years, it's all yours . NO Thanks. And for resale well someone is going to ask ... does the awning work ? ...HMmmmm.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:20 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Coming from an older manual awning, I was leery of the new auto awning. After using it a fair bit for the last three months, I would not go back. The old one had two advantages: you could use it with the factory screen room, and you could detach the arms and stake them out and create a very strong setup. Oh, and you could properly angle for rain runoff. But, the new one is just so darned easy to use that we use it *all* the time. Just have to be smart and put it up when you’re away, retract it half way when it’s pouring, etc. We love it!
Old 11-13-2017, 08:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Coming from an older manual awning, I was leery of the new auto awning. After using it a fair bit for the last three months, I would not go back. The old one had two advantages: you could use it with the factory screen room, and you could detach the arms and stake them out and create a very strong setup. Oh, and you could properly angle for rain runoff. But, the new one is just so darned easy to use that we use it *all* the time. Just have to be smart and put it up when you’re away, retract it half way when it’s pouring, etc. We love it!
That is still the one feature that I would like to have from the new generation: that wild awning!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:56 PM   #19

Trailer: None now
Quote:
I do not think ours can be set for more than a few degrees or it will hit the body since the awning is recessed.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:40 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Greg and don't anyone bother giving me flake for what I believe and am about to say , not you Greg ,Except for the 5 th wheel trailer , the other trailers are not tall enough for the new awning . Looking at them some look almost straight out with no slope . I have even seen pictures of the new awning looking like it is up in the air .Just look at other huge trailers and motorhomes and you will see lots of slope , awning hanging down down . The feature of the awning being in a box closure is a great idea . I understand trying to eliminate the arms like we have . Fiamma eliminates the arms on the side , stored inside box closure arms can attach to trailer body or to ground , just like we have . It is manual and you can adjust the slope because Escape trailers are taller then Scamp and Casita trailers . If we didn't have our trailer that is what awning we would want . Also to get more height if needed not installed in the body cut in . Really not sure about what would need for proper installation because have different trailer . But because we aren't real tall always slope the awning toward the rear of trailer so our awning clears our door . Everyone who has the new awning and you are happy that's all that counts . Just my observations . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, new awning